Marco van Ginkel

Spike

He is obviously still new, young and shit, but kid kicks fucking ass! It's like we have a young De Rossi in our squad :D

I enjoy watching videos of him with some heavy metal in the background, now that's fucking epic :wank2:

Great signing, hopefully he can have a good season and become our 1st team regular :dance:

It's such an incredible change to watch him ready to kick opponent's ass whenever needed instead of Mikel who just tactically retreats :ph34r:

He shows a lot of desire on the defensive end which is great to see. He's also one of the quickest players in the team which is a bonus from CM.

His passing is fine but that's the biggest area of improvement for him. He made a good pass to Oscar which helped set up the first goal against Milan. Our attacking-midfielders always find good space in-between the lines and need a constant supply of those kind of passes.

Van Ginkel is nothing like Lampard, and I hope he isn't. I don't want anyone in the pivot running up into the box, they should be staying back. We already have 4 attackers in our formation, why should we be encouraging our players to constantly move forward, Van Ginkel needs to cover and work hard. If he does that then we shouldn't be as weak defensively against other teams.

As long as Jose doesn't try to turn him into the 'new Mikel', then great! I doubt it though, because MvG can actually move! :P

I don't think we should worry too much about the passes right now. He's still adjusting to a new team so the forward passes will come in due time as he gains more confidence. He's working hard and keeping it simple and avoiding taking risks and making mistakes.

Love how strong and mobile he is and on top incredibly intelligent.

I still think he'll have his struggles in the premier league, going from Eredivisie to the PL is a huge change but he has the tools to make it big here for sure.

I don't think we should worry too much about the passes right now. He's still adjusting to a new team so the forward passes will come in due time as he gains more confidence. He's working hard and keeping it simple and avoiding taking risks and making mistakes.

Love how strong and mobile he is and on top incredibly intelligent.

I still think he'll have his struggles in the premier league, going from Eredivisie to the PL is a huge change but he has the tools to make it big here for sure.

we are already seeing quality forward passes (to oscar for the KDB goal)

What's that?

Mikel was in Norway an offensive midfielder and the Nigerian national coach blamed José for playing Mikel in the "Makelele role" and destroying his offensive play. Ginkel last season scored about 15 goals and against Madrid he played the Holding role in a 4-3-3. Just a thought i had :D Edited by NiclasCFC

Mikel was in Norway an offensive midfielder and the Nigerian national coach blamed José for playing Mikel in the "Makelele role" and destroying his offensive play. Ginkel last season scored about 15 goals and against Madrid he played the Holding role in a 4-3-3. Just a thought i had :D

Jose played Mikel as a DM in 12 of the 27 games Mikel actually played. In the other games Mikel played with Makelele. Jose isn't the one that turned Mikel into a holding midfield player - it was the subsequent use of him there after Jose went that made Mikel into the player he is now. It wasn't Mikel's goals that were "destroyed", he was never really a goal getter - it was more his creativity and freedom that was prohibited.

Marco Van Ginkel will not grab as many goals in this Chelsea side like he did for Vitesse last season even if he doesn't play the most defensive player in the pivot simply because he'll have to restrain himself more as he'll have 4 players in front of him that'll do most of the attacking in the final third.

MVG is a B2B midfielder, Mikel was a playmaker, there's a difference.

This guy is awesome for us. His football intelligence is fantastic for his age and his tenacity injects life into our midfield. My namesake is a lot silkier for sure but Van Ginkel's variety in his skill set is so nice to have. Love this kid.