Romeu loan points the way for de Rossi

BlueLion.

Reports coming out of Spain this morning suggest that Blues midfielder Oriol Romeu could be heading to La Liga on loan next season.

The Spanish tabloid Faro de Vigo suggests that Romeu may be heading out of the Stamford Bridge exit door - albeit only a temporary basis - as he looks to improve his fitness following a serious knee injury that sidelined the Catalan starlet for the best part of six months.

The report suggests Romeu may indeed head to La Liga side Celta Vigo on a season-long loan deal as new boss José Mourinho shuffles his squad ahead of the new season.

With Romeu seemingly on his way out, there are also question-marks over the future of the club's only other out-and-out defensive midfielder - John Mikel Obi - who, in the eyes of many Chelsea fans endured a torrid time of things under Rafael Benitez last term.

With the departure of Michael Essien on loan to Real Madrid, and Raul Meireles' big-money move to Fenerbahce in the summer, the 2012/13 campaign was supposed to be the breakthrough season for Romeu; but sadly injury intervened.

After being a favourite of Andre Villas-Boas before his departure in March 2012, Romeu was kept on the sidelines by the form of his team-mates under Roberto di Matteo - but the departure of two direct rivals for his position suggested that di Matteo was ready to offer the young Spaniard a starring role at the European champions.

A couple of promising early-season displays - including a well-taken penalty in a 6-0 thumping of Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Capital One Cup - suggested that Romeu may well take his chance, but with his reported departure supposedly imminent as he seeks to recover both form and fitness, the door may well be opened for new arrivals.

Michael Essien may indeed be returning, but he was utilised almost exclusively as a full-back at Real Madrid by José Mourinho. Necessity may dictate that he returns to his old defensive-midfield position, but with issues raised over his once-famed stamina and fitness, it seems more than likely Essien will fulfil little more than a squad role.

Even with the suggestion that Mikel may have passed his best, the Nigerian best-suits the style of formation opted for by Mourinho, and may find his fortunes rekindled under the man who signed him in 2006 - even so, the Blues would still be a man light in the centre of the park.

Intensive media reports have suggested that Roma vice-captain Daniele de Rossi may be a man Mourinho is targeting to take over in the defensive midfield role.

The all-action midfielder - capped 85 times by Italy to date - has reportedly been told he would be allowed to leave the Italian capital should the price be right. The price, it would seem, would be the only stumbling block here - whilst some media outlets suggest that a fee of around £10-12 million would secure the deal, Manchester City last summer had a £23.5 million offered turned down.

The Italian would certainly by a versatile and dynamic addition to the Chelsea squad, and would certainly add a physicality to the Chelsea midfield that has been missing since the departures of Claude Makelele and Michael Ballack in 2008 and 2010 respectively.

Whether de Rossi is indeed the man Mourinho is targeting or not, the form of Mikel, the injury concerns surrounding Essien and the supposed departure of Romeu does certainly point in the direction of imminent investment in centre-midfield.

Click here to view the article

Good job on the external links.

Not many of us will like this. Romeu did well under Villas-Boas when he got an extended run of games. But I can see from a positional sense, adding a midfielder will see an overcrowded midfield at Chelsea with - Mikel, Essien, Lampard, Romeu and New Signing - Van Ginkel? de Rossi? Boateng? - even Luiz and Oscar can play there if pressed.

So, moving a midfielder out is fine but moving Romeu out isn't. I would look to boot Essien out the door first

I think would be best for romeu if we don't keep him this season make him apart of de rossi deal, on a loan that is but for him to learn more of the tactical side of the game no better place than in italy.. would be a win win for all parties involved we get DDR and they get cash and a young upcoming CDM in romeu where he can learn more the position and become truly world class when we bring him back he could cover our cdm position for years to come..

Always impressed me, yes sometimes he does get over adventurous with his passing but the kid is a solid player very technically gifted

I agree with Yuvala. I had high hopes on him when he first came but got a bit dissapointed. He was good defensively, sometimes even very good, but offensively he didnt contribute much. Our pivot will be as slow with him as it has been without him. We need someone new.

Hope this means a serious push for De Rossi.he may be 30 by the time the next season starts but so was Makalele and Zola who both gave us some great years. I wouldn't complain if we paid up to 20m for him as along with a great finisher our team would win a lot trophies in the next 3 or 4 years. as for Oriel a loan away for a season is probably the best for us and him.

I think a loan would benefit romeu greatly.He is returning from injury and will need regular playing time which i dont think he will get over here so a year away will do wonders for him imo.I however want him to stay in BPL,a team like swansea would be ideal for romeu.