Europa League Final 2013 - Benfica 1-2 Chelsea

Jase

Man of the Match  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

I'm off in a few minutes to watch the game. Everyone here is quite adept at analyzing Chelsea's line-up so I'll throw a couple of tidbits on Benfica's line-up and what it means for Benfica's tactics. Artur-Almeida-Luisao-Garay-Melgarejo-Matic-Perez-Gaitan-Salvio-Rodrigo-Cardozo. Basically playing the strongest starting 11 except Maxi Pereira is suspended at left back so Almeida gets the start, also Rodrigo slides in as a second striker behind Cardozo relegating Lima to the bench.

Lima on the bench is a very revealing tactical decision. If Lima and Cardozo were both starting (my opinion would be the proper decision) that would mean pure offense with our strengths being showcased. Rodrigo brings some more speed and hard work to the front line which will try to sneak around between Luiz and Chelsea's back four. It's not a bad decision but surprising. Also, the fact that Lima is on the bench as an option if we need to change tactics and score later in the game is a huge benefit. He is quality and will change the game if he is needed, definitely a positive knowing he's ready to come as a super-sub.

Anyways, bottom line is that Benfica have a very very strong line-up with a strong offensive option on the bench. They are going out there to score goals, this line-up is NOT a "park the bus" starting eleven. Just thought I'd let you guys know that. Judging by Chelsea's starting 11 and Benfica's starting 11 it should be a pretty open entertaining game. Both teams will score. May the best team win!

Has Rodrigo had a prolific season?

Has Rodrigo had a prolific season?

We were expecting more out of him this season. I don't think he's been bad, I just think the Lima Cardozo partnership has been strong and he hasn't been able to force himself into the lineup. Quality young player, hopefully he's up for this game.

No. He hasn't

He could be a hit or a miss. Very impredictable

Hmm, interesting.

I personally feel the biggest battles will be between Torres and Luisao/Garay and Cardozo vs Cahill and Ivanovic. Also I expect Mata and Matic to be another key battle. When we played you guys last year Torres' pace caused a few problems for yous so I'm hoping he actually plays a bit better than what he has done recently and causes you lot a problem!

I saw Azpi scoring a volley in my dreams last night... But then later I found out the game ended with us winning 17-5. :noexpression:

A goal every four minutes, that's going to be some game!