Europa League Final 2013 - Benfica 1-2 Chelsea

Jase

Man of the Match  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

Team: Cech; Azpili, Ivan, Cahill, Cole; D Luiz, Lamps ©; Ram, Mata, Oscar; Torres. - subs: Turn, Fer, Ake, Mik, Mar, Benay, Moses.

Guess we were forced into picking that team.

A bit lopsided - Ramires is our most direct threat which is quite worrying. Glad to see Mikel and Moses on the bench though, gives us the option to switch it around.

Come on Chelsea!

Rami is on the right which might work well with his pace. This is going to be a very hard game, very hard. Can see it going all the way and being a long night. Not as nervous as i was this time last year but pretty nervous nonetheless. Can't see where the goals will come from. Mata aint scored for ages, Torres is still shit. Relying on Lamps today.

United goal went down as his ;)

no, dont think so. ramires on the wing.

expectations lowered...we have 2 attacking players and one striker upfront, who will struggle against luisao/garay

Would hardly say they will struggle against Luisao and Garay, remember lats year Torres and Kalou managed to cause them problems... a team containing Paulo Ferreira caused them problems......

Would hardly say they will struggle against Luisao and Garay, remember lats year Torres and Kalou managed to cause them problems... a team containing Paulo Ferreira caused them problems......

they are better than last year though I think.

I'm taking that with Moses on the bench, Ramires being on the wing was a tactical move? Who plays on Benfica's left?

Or maybe Moses is just not fit enough to start the game and we simply had no other options to take on the bench and even a half fit Moses is better than naming only six subs.

Benfica's left winger is Rodrigo, if I'm not mistaken. Or Eduardo Salvio if Rodrigo plays up front.

they are better than last year though I think.

Wouldn't say they've majorly improved. Their best players are still Cardozo, Aimar and Gaitan. The point is if the lads in our XI care about Chelsea, we will win. The team spirit last year against Bayern was the reason we won the Champions League so hopefully the team will have the same tonight. Just need everyone out on the pitch to believe. We're much better than last year in terms of quality so hoping we can beat these guys.

I hope we wont miss Hazard, Terry, Romeu, Bertrand too much...

This short bench with alternative lineup is very questionable. But on other hand, Benfica will still feel porto defeat I think...

I had a feeling that Ramires would start on the right but I did not want to believe that Cahill will play as CB. Mikel and Moses give us different options, the rest is not a bench. Great experience for Ake.

I'm off in a few minutes to watch the game. Everyone here is quite adept at analyzing Chelsea's line-up so I'll throw a couple of tidbits on Benfica's line-up and what it means for Benfica's tactics. Artur-Almeida-Luisao-Garay-Melgarejo-Matic-Perez-Gaitan-Salvio-Rodrigo-Cardozo. Basically playing the strongest starting 11 except Maxi Pereira is suspended at left back so Almeida gets the start, also Rodrigo slides in as a second striker behind Cardozo relegating Lima to the bench.

Lima on the bench is a very revealing tactical decision. If Lima and Cardozo were both starting (my opinion would be the proper decision) that would mean pure offense with our strengths being showcased. Rodrigo brings some more speed and hard work to the front line which will try to sneak around between Luiz and Chelsea's back four. It's not a bad decision but surprising. Also, the fact that Lima is on the bench as an option if we need to change tactics and score later in the game is a huge benefit. He is quality and will change the game if he is needed, definitely a positive knowing he's ready to come as a super-sub.

Anyways, bottom line is that Benfica have a very very strong line-up with a strong offensive option on the bench. They are going out there to score goals, this line-up is NOT a "park the bus" starting eleven. Just thought I'd let you guys know that. Judging by Chelsea's starting 11 and Benfica's starting 11 it should be a pretty open entertaining game. Both teams will score. May the best team win!