Buck Rejects Roman Reports

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck has dismissed suggestions that Roman Abramovich was 'ranting and raving' in the dressing room following the FA Cup and Carling Cup defeats.

The Blues were knocked out of the FA Cup by Championship side Barnsley, while they lost to Tottenham in the final of the Carling Cup.

Buck admits that billionaire owner Abramovich was unhappy with both results but denies that he ever called a crisis meeting.

Buck also insists that Abramovich did not expect manager Avram Grant to change Chelsea's style overnight and turn them into entertainers.

"I don't think his reaction was any different from my reaction, I mean I was very disappointed, I was sad, I was unhappy," said Buck.

"But I think there are a lot of stories that Roman called crisis meetings and was very upset and ranting and raving in the dressing room, that's total rubbish, it was all untrue. He was unhappy like all Chelsea fans were unhappy.

"I don't think that Roman or the board or anyone that is involved thought that the style of football would change over night.

Ingrained

"You're a footballer and I think you know that just doesn't happen, players have a certain approach and attitude ingrained in them and it's very difficult for them to change.

"But, having said that, during the course of the last nine months I think we have seen some examples of stylish, entertaining, fun football and would expect to see more of that as time progresses. We never thought this was going to be an overnight change."

Buck is confident that Chelsea can win the UEFA Champions League after Tuesday's victory over Fenerbahce set up a third semi-final in four years against Liverpool.

"I think it is much different that Chelsea's second leg against Liverpool is at home and I think we are going to do it this time," added Buck.

"I think if you look at last year when we had the home match, we should have maybe had four or five that night.

"We were fantastic. Then we went to Liverpool, and we played very well at Liverpool and then the penalty shoot-out. The previous year, as Jose told us, there was a phantom goal. But I think we are going to do it this year."

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic