PFA Player Of The Year Nominees

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What baffles me are the criteria for the best young player award. Does the best younger player need to be the best individual young player (who in this case, of all the nominees, Hazard would have to be) or does he need to have the biggest impact on his team's performance during the whole season (which would be Benteke this time) in order to win the award?

Anyway, no matter which one of these 2 options has be taken into accout neither of them fit Bale.

Rio F***in Ferdinand in the Team of The Year? I give up......

Like him or not he has actually had one of his best seasons in a United shirt compared to his past few seasons. It's been the other defenders around him who have let Uniteds defence down thus resulting the need for RVP to win games for them.

Like him or not he has actually had one of his best seasons in a United shirt compared to his past few seasons. It's been the other defenders around him who have let Uniteds defence down thus resulting the need for RVP to win games for them.

true but Nastasic? Jagielka? Ashley Williams? have all had good seasons. consistently better than Rio imo

Gareth Bale has been an unbelievable performer this year for Spurs, clearly the player of the year.

Michael Carrick made United tick, look at the big games where Ferguson put Scholes and Giggs in the centre, ala, City last year, they lost, its no concidience, Carrick is a steady midfielder, dicates the tempo of the game and sets the platform for RVP and others, DEFINATLY a nominee and a contender.

The PLAYERS voted for Rio, and he has been consistent this year, Especially how tough it must have been for him with changing centre back partners, no easy feat that.

Mata was good but Bale was on a different planet this year, also AVB manages Bale which puts him at a disadvantage before a ball is even kicked!

The players vote for this, they play against each other, So i'll trust their opinion rather then the keyboard warriors on here.

After what happened to Suarez, the FA would never give the award to him, so the PFA Player of the Year was fairly given.

However, what is the criteria of Young Player of the Year? I mean, Hazard and Benteke deserve way more than Bale (who has already 200 games of experience, which is hardly a 'rookie')...

Young is different than inexperience in a league. In North America, we have rookie of the year awards which is different. Bale is only 1.5 years older than Hazard or something. I don't like the criteria either, but I don't really care about awards and for the criteria that exist, Bale actually did deserve it. The PFA team of the year is OK except for Ferdinand who shouldn't be on it. Cazorla probably should have been on it as well but they'd have to take off someone deserving to do that.

The PLAYERS voted for Rio, and he has been consistent this year, Especially how tough it must have been for him with changing centre back partners, no easy feat that.

Agree with Bale. Can't point to 'inconsistency' this season. He's been unreal. As for Rio, The big club factor helped Ferdinand. Performance for a big club > similar performance for a small club. Ashley Williams and Jagielka had good seasons but Rio is under the spot-light at United.

So a player scoring 7 goals in 11 games which include goals + assists against City, United and us is a shit player? Stop being so bitter and cynical. Pacquiao has a fair point in saying that Sturridge would've been on 20+ goals as well had he started as many games as Suarez this season, stats prove that. Why is it so hard for people to praise Sturridge lol? No one said/thinks he's Ronaldo to begin with and if Sturridge is a shit player, well, then most players are too.

So if you score against City, United and Chelsea you're suddenly a worldbeater ? It doesn't work like that.

Sturridge is massively inconsistent and overplays far too often, and still has even in his short time with his new club. He didn't play under RDM for a reason, he was very selfish and had no defensive side to his game, something that is needed by all players in the modern game. The amount of times he let players just wader away from him without putting any effort at all was frustrating and didn't help, and when he did get his chance up front he hardly set the world alight. If he gets his head right then we will regret selling him, without a doubt. But I don't know if he ever will.

What Danny hasn't yet shown anywhere in his career,is whether he can deliver consistantly which means 20+ goals, contributing enough overall to warrant being the lead striker for a team striving to win major honours lol, and I'm still not convinced of that.

You are of course entitled to your own opinion.

Never liked him, never will.

So if you score against City, United and Chelsea you're suddenly a worldbeater ? It doesn't work like that.

Sturridge is massively inconsistent and overplays far too often, and still has even in his short time with his new club. He didn't play under RDM for a reason, he was very selfish and had no defensive side to his game, something that is needed by all players in the modern game. The amount of times he let players just wader away from him without putting any effort at all was frustrating and didn't help, and when he did get his chance up front he hardly set the world alight. If he gets his head right then we will regret selling him, without a doubt. But I don't know if he ever will.

What Danny hasn't yet shown anywhere in his career,is whether he can deliver consistantly which means 20+ goals, contributing enough overall to warrant being the lead striker for a team striving to win major honours lol, and I'm still not convinced of that.

You are of course entitled to your own opinion.

Never liked him, never will.

A bit too much to ask from a striker don't you think? Its not as if never tracked back...And when midfielders like Mata and Hazard fail to do the same on occasion, its a bit hypocritical to single out Sturridge..

I've said it myself a couple of pages back, he's gone and there's no point in moaning about his departure. But there's no need to bury the guy when he did more good for us than harm.

A bit too much to ask from a striker don't you think? Its not as if never tracked back...And when midfielders like Mata and Hazard fail to do the same on occasion, its a bit hypocritical to single out Sturridge...

Actually I think we might have some groupthink about the lack of defensive backtracking by Hazard on here. More and more this season I have seen im contribute actually. There was an interesting link in the Hazard thread on his Optastats compared with Mata:

http://www.eplindex.com/31265/eden-hazard-vs-juan-mata-chelsea-wizards-statistically-compared.html

Check his defensive contribution. He outperforms Mata in ground 50/50 (75% more), he won more of those too (11%), he has six times the amount of aerial 50/50's, 22 % more tackles succeeded and twice the amount of interceptions.

I do deduce from this that we tend to equate Hazard's defensive contribution with Mata's way too easy and without empirical ground.

He had some of his best game, but not his best season. He had some excellent matches but also some shocking displays (Gama against West ham most recently). Besides he hasn't been the best defender in the league, there are players like Nastasic and Shawcross that have been much more consistent than him.

Just as i said he'd win both. It is crap though that he can win both, they have to do something to stop that because it looks bad for everyone else. It's too obvious that if you're player of the year and young enough, you're bound to win the young one too, it's rubbish. Should be for U21's the young one.