Liverpool v Chelsea

Jase

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll beat these midtable cunts. They might turn up only against the top teams, but I think we'll be too much for them.

Well the big teams who I am assuming you are counting as United, City, Arsenal and Spurs... Liverpool have only won one of those games against Spurs which was 3-2. The others have been a couple draws and they have lost the rest.

Benitez "We are in the top 3, hopefully we can stay there until the end" #CFC

Benitez on JT "We agree 100%, everyone wants to win, he can understand if I pick another player, he's the 1st one to support the team" #CFC

Benitez "For us, every game until the end of the season is important" #CFC

Benitez "It will be a tough game, Liverpool are creating chances in every game, so we'll have to be strong in defence.." #CFC

"..and in attack we'll have to ensure we're creating opportunities to score goals" #CFC

Benitez "Good news - Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole and Marko Marin were all training today. Tomorrow we will see if they are fit to play" #CFC

Well the big teams who I am assuming you are counting as United, City, Arsenal and Spurs... Liverpool have only won one of those games against Spurs which was 3-2. The others have been a couple draws and they have lost the rest.

I'm not saying their results against the top teams are the best, but they seem really motivated in those matches and no wonder since that could probably be the only positive thing they can say about this or the last 3-4 seasons. (League Cup from last year aside)

Since Rafa joined Chelsea it has become a better team than LFC this season. Chelsea should beat LFC on Sunday based on form. But this will be a high pressure match for a number of reasons and the pressure may affect the performance of both teams.

Chelsea have the best manager - Brendan Rogers is only a wet-behind-the-ears apprentice compared to Rafa never having won any trophy apart from a play-off from the Championship with Swansea. He is from Mourinho's coaching staff at Chelsea. He seems to have Mourinho's belief that matches are won by PR or in press conferences - but he lacks the nasty jealous edge of much of Mourinho's utterances. Rogers is not very good at making in-game decisions. He sticks to a rigid formation. He doesn't seem to have control over his team. Hence LFC has been very inconsistent this season - sometimes attacking with verve and scoring freely and the next week unable to get going.

At their best LFC attacks at speed and with some trickery. Suarez is the leader and the highest scorer but his shooting can be wild an innacurate and he wastes a lot of chances. He also fails to pass to team mates in better positions. However, he has a knack of nutmegging defenders and scoring from impossible angles. He would enjoy nutmegging Terry and drawing a red card and penalty from him but doubt that Rafa will select Terry.

Since January, LFC have been joined by Coutinho who is probably their greatest threat after Suarez. He is tricky, direct and aggressive. He outshines Oscar - as a 20 year old Brazilian. He is due for another goal.

Sturridge from Chelsea has settled well and has had some very good games, adding a dimension to the LFC attack. But he is not a guaranteed starter due to his inconsistency and injuries. But this match will motivate him and he might do damage.

LFC will attack at speed from the start. If things go their way early on then I think they could win this match. But their attacks often come to nothing. They lack composure and accuracy in front of goal and have many near misses (e.g. see my remarks about Suarez). If I were manager I would take them by surprise and attack them from the start but in a controlled way suffocating their midfield.

Their midfield is weak and uncertain under pressure and they can be overrun if Chelsea attack as a unit. Their central defenders are suspect. Carragher is on his last legs. Agger has been inconsistent. Their full back Johnson is also inconsistent.

Torres will feel the pressure and I think Rafa will consult him before selecting him. I think he would get the better of Carragher and co this time, but I'm not sure of his temperament in this one. Demba might be a better choice for starter with Torres to be brought on in the second half.

The crowd will give Rafa an enormous welcome. They love him not only for his great skill and achievements as their greatest manager in the last 24 years but also because he is a good, honorable man who has contributed to the community and quietly donated 100,000 pounds of his own money for the Hillsborough cause and much more to other causes in the Merseyside area. They will then cheer Rogers - not because he is held in the same esteem as Rafa but to show Chelsea away supporters how to behave towards a manager even if he comes from a rival team.

LFC have played far fewer games than Chelsea and should be fresher. But they lack motivation. They have played lately as though they are on holiday. It will depend on whether this game rouses them and whether they get off to a good start. They have not scored lately. They should be capable of 1 or 2 especially from a penalty. Chelsea should be capable of 2 or 3.

My first prediction is for a Chelsea win of 3-1 but would not be surprised if it is 2-2

You should be interviewed for opposition views.

Even though Liverpool have won only 1 of them, they actually did well in those games and unlucky not to pick up all 3 points especially in the away matches against Man City and Arsenal where they were quite good.