Who to blame for the worst season in the Roman era ?

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who is to blame ?

Watching the last twenty minutes yesterday makes you say to yourself "Why did we not start like this"

Much the better side for the second half, players with quick movement, some nice interchange of play and slow and sloppy start set the tone.

Still fuming.

why? well that's because we're reactive, we've been for couple of seasons now... we never take the initiative to attack and press big oppositions thanks to our rubbish midfield

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talkchelsea, home of knee-jerk reactions.. If we'd won yesterday, which we could have, this thread wouldn't exist and you'd all be saying that this team is actually doing well in a transitional season.

Besides, no team would win the Prem with our midfield. It's so bad it's laughable. Spend your money on that department coming summer, Roman, instead of splashing silly cash on a striker we don't need.

No, you're wrong. 5 pages prove it, otherwise nobody would be posting. Even the players themselves know something is wrong.

To my mind, this team is a lot better than this season suggests. Ergo, they're underperforming. There is actually an incredible difference between some performances that came from the same group of players, even in just one game like yesterday. Last year we had a squad who was definitely worse than both Arsenal and Tottenham, aswell as Newcastle. We finished 25 points behind the winner. Now we've spent almost 100 million pounds on players and I challenge somebody here to say we don't have a better team than our rivals. Even Everton is very close to us. We will probably finish with the same points distance.

To say 2010/11 was worse because of the not so bright future means you didn't get the point. We were one single game away from defending the title, this year we lost it in December. We played quarter-finals of the CL and were robbed by the ref. <_<

Certainly, the team is better than last year. However, still not good enough for my liking.

Why ? Because of idiotic loans, I feel.

I wouldn't say idiotic loans.... Lukaku and to some extent KDB have beneifed from the loan, though KDB especially should have been recalled. Especially when we are so lacking in the pivot. He may not be an out and out CM but he has the attributes and got to be more suited to it than lampard or rambo. And even for depth purposes we really needed him, as we all know how much creativity we lack without Mata and Hazard in the team.

I wouldn't say idiotic loans.... Lukaku and to some extent KDB have beneifed from the loan, though KDB especially should have been recalled. Especially when we are so lacking in the pivot. He may not be an out and out CM but he has the attributes and got to be more suited to it than lampard or rambo. And even for depth purposes we really needed him, as we all know how much creativity we lack without Mata and Hazard in the team.

I said back home in January. Both of them, I feel.

The above two Mata & Hazard are tired players & if KDB is good enough as I read frequently, then he could have played with Chelsea, let´s say 20-30 minutes easily. Lukaku could be just as good as BA soon, I feel. Even though BA scored two beauties recently but somehow he hides around the defense, I feel. Lukaku is just like a tank, knocks everyone down on his way to score, I like that.

Still, those mentioned above is not the answer.

Tough, rugged, strong players are needed for the midfield.

I remember Essien in his younger days, that´s what is need for Chelsea, I feel.

This is a good point. I mean watching Yaya Toure yesterday, I just couldn't help thinking that Essien, in his prime, would've had Yaya in his back pocket. We did very well in acquiring Essien to be Maka's successor, even buying Essien when the latter was around. Unfortunately, we didn't do the same with Essien (albeit, his injuries couldn't have been predicted). There's still room for Mikel alongside a big, strong, centre-mid.

No, you're wrong. 5 pages prove it, otherwise nobody would be posting. Even the players themselves know something is wrong.

To my mind, this team is a lot better than this season suggests. Ergo, they're underperforming. There is actually an incredible difference between some performances that came from the same group of players, even in just one game like yesterday. Last year we had a squad who was definitely worse than both Arsenal and Tottenham, aswell as Newcastle. We finished 25 points behind the winner. Now we've spent almost 100 million pounds on players and I challenge somebody here to say we don't have a better team than our rivals. Even Everton is very close to us. We will probably finish with the same points distance.

To say 2010/11 was worse because of the not so bright future means you didn't get the point. We were one single game away from defending the title, this year we lost it in December. We played quarter-finals of the CL and were robbed by the ref. <_<

To me it's obvious, we lack quality in our spine. Imagine having Kompany at CB and Yaya in front of him.

Instead we have Mikel who's slower than my grannie and workhorse Ramires who isn't exactly a great passer of the ball. Lamps doesn't cut it anymore either.

Anyone else fucking noticed it all happened when Oscar was moved centrally?

Although i'm a fan of playing Ocar in centre midfield i don't think that was why we looked better.

We have a crappy midfield. We got dominated in midfield and couldn't reach our attackers because of that.

Our answer to this was hoofing the ball and bypassing our midfield completely but with only 1 striker it wasn't working.

With Torres and Ba up front we were causing the central defenders problems this made Mancini use a more defensive tactic

and have his team sit deeper which allowed our midfield to finally get on the ball without getting pressed like crazy.

Although i'm a fan of playing Ocar in centre midfield i don't think that was why we looked better.

We have a crappy midfield. We got dominated in midfield and couldn't reach our attackers because of that.

Our answer to this was hoofing the ball and bypassing our midfield completely but with only 1 striker it wasn't working.

With Torres and Ba up front we were causing the central defenders problems this made Mancini use a more defensive tactic

and have his team sit deeper which allowed our midfield to finally get on the ball without getting pressed like crazy.

Partly true, but during the game, Aguero/Yaya were still pressuring Ramires and Oscar and Oscar was dealing with the transition under pressure in ways Mikel could only dream of.

To me it's obvious, we lack quality in our spine. Imagine having Kompany at CB and Yaya in front of him.

Instead we have Mikel who's slower than my grannie and workhorse Ramires who isn't exactly a great passer of the ball. Lamps doesn't cut it anymore either.

A fallacy. Ramires is actually better at his passing this season, it's his judgement that's always been in question. But he's one of those that's going to be part of this 'new' Chelsea spine for a good while. Something we need, because his energy must be exploited in the last 10-15minutes of a game.

Partly true, but during the game, Aguero/Yaya were still pressuring Ramires and Oscar and Oscar was dealing with the transition under pressure in ways Mikel could only dream of.

Fully agree with you. Imo the lack of a DLP has been our biggest weakness this season.

A fallacy. Ramires is actually better at his passing this season, it's his judgement that's always been in question. But he's one of those that's going to be part of this 'new' Chelsea spine for a good while. Something we need, because his energy must be exploited in the last 10-15minutes of a game.

Well said, Ramires is criminally under rated, including by me at times. He is a valuable asset to us the second half at Old Trafford the main example for that.

This is a good point. I mean watching Yaya Toure yesterday, I just couldn't help thinking that Essien, in his prime, would've had Yaya in his back pocket. We did very well in acquiring Essien to be Maka's successor, even buying Essien when the latter was around. Unfortunately, we didn't do the same with Essien (albeit, his injuries couldn't have been predicted). There's still room for Mikel alongside a big, strong, centre-mid.

I too feel the same. The team needs to buy DM but some mother.....who just cut them down, bulldoze through cement walls...so the other team sees him coming out of the tunnel & are afraid to come close to him. That´s the way fucking Citeh loggers are playing, just dirty, as seen yesterday.

A fallacy? His passing is average at best. I rate Ramires, but not for his creativity or passing. His speed and stamina are his main qualities.

We need a proper playmaker to feed balls to Mata and Hazard.

A fallacy? His passing is average at best. I rate Ramires, but not for his creativity or passing. His speed and stamina are his main qualities.

We need a proper playmaker to feed balls to Mata and Hazard.

Average, I'll agree with. But the way some people believe Ramires can't pass, you'd think he has a 0% success rate. He's not a playmaker at all, so it makes sense that there's no real harm in the fact he's not a world-class passer. But that's why we have Mikel right next to him. I know many people will say Mikel's high success rate is down to side passes, but he's actually capable (and has demonstrated) of playing a delightful long-ball.