Unpopular Opinions

Santiago.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sex seems overrated as fuck

men are superior to women

Idiots give Islam a bad name (Im not muslim)

Gays need to be put in separate cages

If you shave your facial hair I lose respect for you and consider you a female in a males body

haha !

:lol2:

Unpopular.... not 19th century blatantly offensive. Both to women as to homosexuals. There is a policy here on those matters. Just so you know.

Absolutely.

I've suspended the member for 24 hours and sent a warning via PM.

I don't think Pep Guardiola proved his value as a top manager yet. And going yet to another place where the philosophy is already there, as well as the style of play, the structure, the players, etc... won't do much to change that.

I think he was very lucky with Barcelona and it'll be again with Bayern.

I'm not saying he sucks, I'm just saying he needs to get a bad team or a team with minimal chances of winning and transform that into a winning team for me to know he's on the same league as the best managers in the world.

International football and tournaments like EM and WM are completely superfluous cos

-Fifa and UEFA are corrupted as shit

-the the sporting value & niveau of international games and tournaments is completely overrated. You see much better football in the top leagues

- How can one identify with a national team, which consists of players of your rival clubs?

- the tournaments completely bleed out poor host countries like South africa.

- the only people profitting are the corrupted asses at the organization and the sponsors like mcdonalds.

My reaction:

tumblr_lgjxq29Pcg1qafrh6.gif

Nah but in all seriouness i don't get how people can say other wise (to the nadal v federer).

Nadal is a monster when healthy, and when you make a guy cry in a grand slam final (like he made him at Wimbeldon),

it goes to show he has owned federer not only skillfully but also mentally. That Wimbledon win made it 4 straight finals in Grand Slams/Tournaments he had beaten him in, ending his reign as tennis god.

Will always love him for that, simply my favorite tennis player.

Back when I watched more tennis I also thought Nadal > Federer

you're a champ, mate!!!!

ITA about everything. I mean, Fed plays a great tennis, but Rafa is the hard worker, and still have time to break Fed's records.

And he owns Fed's ass.

Keeping on topic about unpopular opinions.

I don't like Rooney as a football player. I don't want him at SB

The fact that Federer could still win or give Nadal a hard time when Nadal was at his physical peak and Federer declining on his physical peak speaks by itself. Also, there's something about Federer playstyle that just screams he is the better player. He just looks so naturally gifted while Nadal seems to rely a lot more on his physical attributes. It's kinda like if you compare CR7's tricks to Ronaldinho's. Ronaldinho looks like he doesn't even have to try, CR7, on the other hand, despite doing insane and amazing tricks, you can just tell it feels kinda mechanical, achieved with a lot of hard work and training. It's hard to explain but once I've seen a guy saying that Nadal was like an exceptionally trained pianist, that could play Chopin's toughest and hardest compositions even faster and more accurately than Chopin, but, well, Federer is Chopin himself so...

The fact that Federer could still win or give Nadal a hard time when Nadal was at his physical peak and Federer declining on his physical peak speaks by itself. Also, there's something about Federer playstyle that just screams he is the better player. He just looks so naturally gifted. It's kinda like if you compare CR7's tricks to Ronaldinho's. Ronaldinho looks like he doesn't even have to try, CR7, on the other side, despite doing insane and amazing tricks, you can just tell it feels kinda mechanical, achieved with a lot of hard work and training. It's hard to explain but once I've seen a guy saying that Nadal was like an exceptionally trained pianist, that could play Chopin's toughest and hardest compositions even faster and more accurately than Chopin, but, well, Federer is Chopin himself so...

So I'll keep on topic, and tell you high quality emotion player/teams are better than high quality technical perfect players/teams.

For me, when it comes to sports (and most things in life) the thrill and the emotion will always make the quality more interesting and passionate than simply natural and improved quality. So I prefer the unexpected play and hallucinating rhythm over the predictable improved perfected play done by players/team that don't break a sweat while doing it.

I had the same discussion last week, except it was about Spain NT and Barcelona. Spain is without a doubt the best team in the world just like Barça used to be for a few years before the current Bayern team). However if football is to become a matter of a possession, with players patiently passing the ball from one side to the other, almost endlessly, until they finally go for the kill - when they decide to because they control the match so perfectly that they can decide when to be lethal, I'll stick with tennis and goodbye football. That's a version of football that doesn't appeal to me.

The day football becomes an opera, it'll stop being football to me, no matter how perfected and effective that is. So the same way I don't like to watch Spain, I'd rather watch a Nadal's tennis match over a Federer's tennis match (meaning I do like to watch Fed, just far from my fave style)

Also I disagree that Rafa on his peak faced a declining Roger. They were both on their peak (and Rafa's physical condition always gave Roger the slit he needed to win as many majors). The thing is Rafa is a bad match-up to Roger and that argument I think is valid. If your style doesn't fit mine and I dominate you, it doesn't mean I'm better than you, it just means I have something that bothers your game and may lead you to lose. Is Roger the best of all time? Probably yes - although I hate the frigging comparison by default though.

But Rafa will always be the player that I will love the most to watch playing for the feelings he causes to my body, for the way he makes me react. That's the passion I don't see in Spain's orchestrated football (just like Barça's) or Federer perfect plasticity and natural fluency playing tennis. Both take away the emotion, the thrill, the passion, the surprise because they only bring me to the edge of my seat once in a while during a match, players like Nadal and teams like 74 Oranje and 2012/13 Bayern just keep me on the edge of my seat all the time, sometimes making my body react in ways Federer, Barça and Spain would never do, and ways I've never expected. That will always prevail over natural quality and perfected play. And that makes those teams and players better imo if I do have to compare.

For me sports will always be a matter of passion, not results. I will always prefer Italy x Japan over Spain x Uruguay although technically the later was much better than the former. Quality is nothing if it isn't thrilling (because it becomes boring) - although the lack of result by emotional teams/players/matches can be just unsatisfying if there's never a breakthrough. With Nadal, Oranje, Bayern and Italy x Japan though there was a breakthrough, there was the result, there was everything I identify sports with and that makes me overlook how none of them are just as perfect or high quality like Fed, Spain and Barça. Sports isn't supposed to be medicine. Or music. But the music discussion is deeper... let's have that one any other day.

So I'll keep on topic, and tell you high quality emotion player/teams are better than high quality technical perfect players/teams.

For me, when it comes to sports (and most things in life) the thrill and the emotion will always make the quality more interesting and passionate than simply natural and improved quality. So I prefer the unexpected play and hallucinating rhythm over the predictable improved perfected play done by players/team that don't break a sweat while doing it.

I had the same discussion last week, except it was about Spain NT and Barcelona. Spain is without a doubt the best team in the world just like Barça used to be for a few years before the current Bayern team). However if football is to become a matter of a possession, with players patiently passing the ball from one side to the other, almost endlessly, until they finally go for the kill - when they decide to because they control the match so perfectly that they can decide when to be lethal, I'll stick with tennis and goodbye football. That's a version of football that doesn't appeal to me.

The day football becomes an opera, it'll stop being football to me, no matter how perfected and effective that is. So the same way I don't like to watch Spain, I'd rather watch a Nadal's tennis match over a Federer's tennis match (meaning I do like to watch Fed, just far from my fave style)

Also I disagree that Rafa on his peak faced a declining Roger. They were both on their peak (and Rafa's physical condition always gave Roger the slit he needed to win as many majors). The thing is Rafa is a bad match-up to Roger and that argument I think is valid. If your style doesn't fit mine and I dominate you, it doesn't mean I'm better than you, it just means I have something that bothers your game and may lead you to lose. Is Roger the best of all time? Probably yes - although I hate the frigging comparison by default though.

But Rafa will always be the player that I will love the most to watch playing for the feelings he causes to my body, for the way he makes me react. That's the passion I don't see in Spain's orchestrated football (just like Barça's) or Federer perfect plasticity and natural fluency playing tennis. Both take away the emotion, the thrill, the passion, the surprise because they only bring me to the edge of my seat once in a while during a match, players like Nadal and teams like 74 Oranje and 2012/13 Bayern just keep me on the edge of my seat all the time, sometimes making my body react in ways Federer, Barça and Spain would never do, and ways I've never expected. That will always prevail over natural quality and perfected play. And that makes those teams and players better imo if I do have to compare.

For me sports will always be a matter of passion, not results. I will always prefer Italy x Japan over Spain x Uruguay although technically the later was much better than the former. Quality is nothing if it isn't thrilling (because it becomes boring) - although the lack of result by emotional teams/players/matches can be just unsatisfying if there's never a breakthrough. With Nadal, Oranje, Bayern and Italy x Japan though there was a breakthrough, there was the result, there was everything I identify sports with and that makes me overlook how none of them are just as perfect or high quality like Fed, Spain and Barça. Sports isn't supposed to be medicine. Or music. But the music discussion is deeper... let's have that one any other day.

I wasn't arguing about taste. Your favourite player could be the worst tennis player in the world for all I care. It's just that I got the impression the three of you were saying Nadal was better than Federer. One said Nadal > Federer, which speaks by itself. I was under the impression blue-in-me-veins implied the same, even though he used favourite player somewhere. You said Nadal owns Federer, I have understood that as if he was the better player which I don't think it is true. If you were talking about their head-ons, when facing each other, then it is all right. It is objectively true.

So, let's see. I think it is general consensus that a tennis player peak is around age 23-25. For Federer that was 2004-2006 or something like that. After that age most tennis players start getting slower and declining on performances. What I'm trying to say is that when Nadal started playing some top-notch tennis, Federer was already beginning to decline. And don't get me wrong, I think Nadal is a hell of a player - and when two players of this magnitude collide, even the smallest of details can destroy the balance. The fact that Nadal's playstyle is hard for Federer to cope with and that the latter was outclassed physically for pretty much their whole rivalry sure have had some influence in their matches. I guess if Nadal didn't have some knee injuries he would have destroyed Federer even more. I'll give it to Nadal that I thought he would have declined a whole lot more by now due to his reliance on the physical side of the game, however he has proved he's truly one of the greatest players ever. But overall I think Federer was better, he was amazing in pretty much every court and against pretty much everyone except Nadal. His stats are overall better.

Euhm... I don't agree with the comparison to Spain/Barcelona, first because I think that is related more to tactics than skill. Second because comparing the playstyle of a whole team, a whole organism of people vs. a single person playing another sport is going a bit too far and what makes it boring is it deprives the opposing team from playing, which can't be replicated in any tennis match. The rest lays in matter of taste, I suppose. I, for one, had more jaw-dropping moments watching Federer playing than Nadal. I also feel Federer was somewhat more ambitious in his plays, he would try doing something different or unexpected more often than Nadal, and that's what I expect from a genius.