Ruud Gullit

James

In July 1995, he signed for Chelsea on a free transfer. At the time Chelsea were a mid-table team, whose most notable recent achievement was reaching the 1994 FA Cup final. Initially played as sweeper by manager Glenn Hoddle with limited success, Gullit was moved to his more familiar role in midfield, where he scored six goals. The signing of Gullit, alongside the likes of Mark Hughes and Dan Petrescu, propelled Chelsea to the semi-final of the FA Cup but their league form was disappointing. Gullit's earliest difficulty in England was adapting to the abilities of some of his Chelsea teammates, “I would take a difficult ball, control it, make space and play a good ball in front of the right back, except that he didn’t want that pass. Eventually Glenn said to me, ‘Ruud, it would be better if you do these things in midfield’.” However, his adjustment was rapid and he ended the season by being named runner-up to Eric Cantona as Footballer of the Year.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

article-1190029-02325766000004B0-79_306x

Who runs this damn site? No mention of Ruud Gullit? Arguably the person that has taken CFC into the Golden Age. He brought us Zola & RDM to name a few. We need to start a thread for this CFC Legend. Yes, he is a Legend cause he lead the club to the FA Cup win in '97. BTW, Gullit feels The Special One will return to Stamford Bridge.

Ruud+Gullit+FC+Bayern+Muenchen+v+Chelsea

Still loves the club and we all love him still too i'm sure of it. Was gutted when he was sacked and watching him at Newcastle was equally so hurtful the way he was treated there, still dropping Shearer didn't help him much tbh. To see those images of him celebrating our UCL victory just bought those great memories back. He wasn't a player for long for us but he lit up the bridge.

Still loves the club and we all love him still too i'm sure of it. Was gutted when he was sacked and watching him at Newcastle was equally so hurtful the way he was treated there, still dropping Shearer didn't help him much tbh. To see those images of him celebrating our UCL victory just bought those great memories back. He wasn't a player for long for us but he lit up the bridge.

Funny that you said this. I have heard some Old Time CFC fans say this guy was so awesome. I guess he could pick his moments when be at the right place at the right time. I just completed the CFC section of his autobiography. Man our board have some fucked up people in it. His description of how he got the sack is just unbelievable. Not as bad as getting a call @ 4am, but still his treatment by the board was just horrible. So his love for the club is simply amazing for that. I think Gullit found peace playing for CFC & the culture surrounding the club.

I know he was coming to the end of his career when he joined us, but my God did I love him. Him, Zola, RDM, Petrescu, Wisey, Lebœuf etc., that was the team that made me fall in love with Chelsea. Absolute Legend.

I know he was coming to the end of his career when he joined us, but my God did I love him. Him, Zola, RDM, Petrescu, Wisey, Lebœuf etc., that was the team that made me fall in love with Chelsea. Absolute Legend.

I became a fan at the same time and it was this team that I also fell in love with. This was especially because most of the Premier League at that time was very British (and lots of top Norwegians at that time for some reason) and most teams played a quite boring long-ball style.

Saw him make his debut in a pre-season friendly at Gillingham of all places. One of the most elegant footballers we've ever had and he could do it all.

One of the turning points in the mid-90s but I doubt he would've come had it not been for Hoddle.

And now we've got his son (Ake) coming up through the ranks too. :ph34r:

I became a fan at the same time and it was this team that I also fell in love with. This was especially because most of the Premier League at that time was very British (and lots of top Norwegians at that time for some reason) and most teams played a quite boring long-ball style.

Exactly mate! I just loved the fact that Rudd was trying to bring total football to the Premier League.

• 4 weeks later...