Is Chalobah ready for the first-team?

Now the short answer to this is 'I don't know'. None of us do - this is very much a case of the proof of the pudding being in the eating, so this is essentially a question based on a recipe. Does he have the right ingredients?

Now I know I've been banging on about this in between pushing for Lukaku to be voted FIFA Player of the Year (it's all fixed I tell's ya!) but I've never been so excited about a young player at our club. I thought JT was too slow when he first broke through and I always had a couple of doubts about Josh's physical presence, although I tried to suppress those (now they've been replaced with concerns about his mental preparedness). Sammy Dalla Bonna always looked a bit wet (literally - no player was so constantly soaked with sweat since Erland Johnson) and Jon Harley....well I always liked him. Never should've sold him.

But Chalobah seems to have it all. Now let's start by saying which Chalobah I like - in true FUT-style I'm buying the CDM 4231 card and placing straight into my squad (BTW, Cech not being in-form after that save takes the piss). I like CDMs who are converted from defence because it gives them a better base from which to start and it gives them a better understanding of attackers' movements in my opinion. There are exceptions, but my belief is that when players are under pressure they rely on their instincts.

But we don't need someone who can simply stop the other team, but someone who can start our attacks and this is where he's excelled. At the top level of sport, the best players have one thing in common - time. Dan Carter has one more second than other players around him in which he's able to make one more step or get that pass off which flummoxes opposition players. Brian Lara and Pete Rose could work out where the ball was coming a few metres before anyone else of their generation. Michael Jordan waited until the last-nanosecond to find that perfect avenue to shoot from.

Chalobah always has time.

And more importantly he uses that time effectively taking every moment to work out not just where a player is, but where he's going to be and where he should be. That last point is key because it highlights another of his characteristics - he makes people around him better. It's why he's always been marked out as a future captain because he sets a tone that everyone else should aspire to. My main criticism of Mikel is that, whilst he can be great, he needs great players around him. He might not make the team worse, but he'll very, very rarely make it better. You need those types of players in your squad, but you can't rely on them. He also does the Mikel staple of simply moving the ball around, forcing the other team to make constant re-adjustments and letting them create holes to be exploited.

Mentally, he's got everything you could ask for. He doesn't bitch and moan on the pitch and he doesn't make the newspaper off it. He doesn't say stupid stuff on Twitter (although it's early days) and at every point in his career, he's stepped up. Through the youth team, through multiple positions, into the Championship and now under-21 duty, he's not just held his own but he's impressed. I see no reason for that not to continue.

Which brings me to my main point, which isn't a summing up or conclusion but a question - why isn't he ready?

It's hard to answer that without resorting to generalities, but I was watching a piece on ESPN about College football and whether players should have to do time in the system before going to the NFL. For 99% of players the jump would be too great and they'd be murdered, but there's always exceptions (in this case they were talking about Adrian Peterson and Clowney). Football (our football, proper football) is no different. Yes Cleverley (for instance) spent a few years on loan and now he's part of the United first-team, but there's a difference.

Chalobah is better than Cleverley. This may be my 'jumping the shark' but I'll stick by it. In fact I'll go a tiny bit further.

Chalobah is right now better than Cleverley was at the same age, better than Cleverley is right now and better than Cleverley can ever hope to be. That's not to say that Cleverley is a bad player, he just doesn't have what Chalobah has. He's a rare combination of physical strength, technical proficiency, mental toughness and that 'X' factor.

The other question is whether he's better than what we have right now? Again, impossible to say without giving him a go but I've seen nothing to suggest he would be much worse. Yes he'll misplace passes, yes he'll miss assignments but would that be much different from what we've had for the past year? Isn't the reward worth the risk?

I'm sure we could loan him out next year so he could gain XP points and be 100% certain to find his feet in our team, but however long we decide to leave him to ferment (or grow, I'm not quite sure how the maturation process of a man-child is known) that first game in blue is still going to be his first game in blue. The pressures associated with that are always going to remain the same and players will crumble or prosper regardless of their previous experiences. Ultimately it comes down to quality and mental toughness.

I think this kid has that already. Why wait?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He should have a decent run in the Premier League before he can be valued. He's had a good season at Watford and their win over Hull means they are 1 point from automatic promotion, so if they do secure promotion, it'd be a good idea to send him back there for a season in the Premier League. We'll have Essien back and Romeu fit to cover the pivot. Now if the board decides to offload Essien then we are short of midfield depth. Chalobah will be a good option but it's better he gets a season-long PL experience than bits and pieces of first-team action. So no, he's not ready yet

Why not... Throw him in the deep end. We have had too many occassions of people never making it here and going on countless loans so would love to see him just given a real go as he could be the next long term captain.

Will it happen. Unlikely, but thats what i would like to see.

I'm leaning towards yes if only because I think there is a slight myth about "experience is needed etc etc etc". My line of thinking is fairly straightforward - if he's good enough, I don't particularly care if he's 16 or 40.

He is a good player in a position where we are weak and understocked. Add this to the fact that teams like Manchester Utd regularly have benches full of players I've never heard of and I think I would have to say give him a chance.

Sorry to see negative comments about a post someone has obviously spent time and effort on . I am guilty of being glib and

facetious but I wont mock a sincere effort to open up discussion . IMO we should give a prolonged run preseason and if that

works out keep in the squad . He could always go out on loan in January if needed but at least give him a start with us

I would have him in the squad next season.I think a lot of people want the finished product via loans into our team but were is the fun in that?There is nothing better then watching a young player improve and develop at your club by playing regularly and lets be honest we dont exactly have busquets or makelele in his position,as good as mikel is i believe chalobah can take his position in a couple of years permanently and before that he can act as a rotational player.

Paul Pogba goes from United reserves to Juventus first team in Serie A (13 starts + 9 on subs) and Champions League (2 starts + 5 on subs).

So, judge player just by fact where he's playing not always wise.

What's with the obsession with Chalobah?

We shouldn't be debating if he should be ready for us, especially at his age.

You should be making this sort of thread for the likes of Kevin De Bruyne, not 18 year olds in the Championship.

Paul Pogba goes from United reserves to Juventus first team in Serie A (13 starts + 9 on subs) and Champions League (2 starts + 5 on subs).

So, judge player just by fact where he's playing not always wise.

Great point. United (the 'masters at developing youth players') waited and waited and he left. He's certainly proved them wrong and I'll be honest - I'm delighted he's left them because they need a player like him in that midfield.

Going to be honest. There is a major difference in reserve and Championship football compared to PL and Champions League football, so no hes not ready just based on that.

True, but the Championship is a long old slog and he's 32 games and he isn't tailing off. If anything, he's getting better and it's not like he's a right-back or a winger getting a few minutes here and there - he's a key player for the third-placed team in one of the most important positions on the pitch.

On paper, he should probably spend another year out on loan but on paper we shouldn't have one the Champions League last year. On paper, Pogba shouldn't be in the France squad ahead of the far more experienced Capoue.

At every level Chalobah has looked exceptional - maybe it's time to make an exception for him. If he's given a go I don't think anyone will be disappointed.