A case against stability

Instability and what ten trophies? It makes for good drama I guess and makes forums like this entertaining in the long run. Personally I'd love more EPL titles but the CL doesn't hurt. English media hates us and I love it. Roman came in when all it was was just Arsenal and United trading titles and he crashed the party, took a dump in the punch bowl and it shook the league for the better, so stability can suck it I love chaos.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Henrique sorta, kinda has a point in that stability in the coach's position might not be necessary - where he's completely wrong in my opinion is that stability in itself is overrated. It's entirely necessary in my view.

We bring kids into the academy before they're 10, we sign them before they're 18 and if they make the first team they could be here for about 20 years. That's an oversimplification but there needs to be stability for that period, an overarching view of where the club wants to be heading so that plans can be made accordingly. Even over a shorter period of time that's evident. Over the last four transfer windows we've signed almost 20 players, so an average of five players per window. If you're making that type of commitment, both financial and practical, then you need to have an idea of what type of football you're wanting to play and what your needs are.

If we look at the examples thrown out you can see how that applies. Ferguson makes a particular type of signing, and it's not changed a huge amount over the last 20 years which means the people in the academy and the scouting department know exactly what they're looking for. Similarly at Arsenal you've seen a particular type of player define Wenger's first seven years in charge but there you can see a different ideology take over, one that has put economic needs ahead of ambition and it's turned into a mess. I've long said that Arsenal and Wenger have become too entwined with one another so they're in a position where they will struggle to excise him from the club. That is obviously beyond stability into co-dependence, Sid and Nancy-style.

With Barca and Bayern what you're seeing is a philosophy that transcends coaches. Here the coach is an important cog in the machine, not the engine. Whilst they may bring their own idiosyncrasies to the role but they won't re-define it. The same goes for Real Madrid, which is why I think Jose was the wrong choice for them - that role is more like a strait-jacket.

We seem to be between these two ways of running a club - we're still defined by the Mourinho period and our success in May was built on that, as well as a bit of luck. Carlo never made the team his own in my opinion and we've been drifting aimlessly in many respects since 2007.

But no discussion on this can be had without reference to one man - Michael Emenalo. At the moment, he seems to hold more sway over the direction of this club than any other. He is the stable presence.

And do you know what? In many ways we've got a more focused approach in recruitment and development than we've had for many years. You can see exactly what the club is trying to do from the players they've brought in. You can see the beginnings of a new type of development path for young players from the academy and elsewhere. You can see a unified vision of what football this club wants to be playing.

Any coach we bring in will be a short-term appointment in all likelihood (that's 3-5 years) but the club can't have a short-term view. There needs to be an ethos of what this club should be that goes beyond that. The kids that we'll want to introduce into the first team in 5 years time are 14-16 now. They need to be learning what their roles in that team might be NOW, which is why stability is a must. It just doesn't have to be sitting in the dugout.

We've done great in the last decade yes, but with stability we would've done even better and dominated English football like Man Utd have done. That's my opinion. We'll never know just how good we could've been. It's been a great ride though.

We've tried not having stablity...and ended up with Rafa...

Wouldnt surprise me if the FA crack down somehow on the amount of hiring and firing we do,it doesnt make us look like a potential club to come to for long term managers and makes us a crazy laughing stock.Not that it matters but still.Its hard for a Manager to know the team in and out if they just get the flick.Our longest has been 2 years which is a bit mental.

That and keep costing money etc..not bad for them but probably not so good for us