Pivot is the issue?!?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a pivot like this could be really strong :

---- Capoué / Witsel - KDB / Oscar ----

Capoué and wW`itsel are DM or CM, they are versatile and really strong at defending.

KDB and Oscar as DLP (they are also versatile and can play AM RW LW...)

Witsel is certainly not DM as he goes forward oftenly. He is CM with qualities of tackling and passing, dribbling.

Also Oscar and Kdb are NOT CMs. At least they are not good enough at tackling.

Wouldnt buy 2 midfielders btw or else we can send KDB back on loan...

Well Kdb is best at playing in Mata's position. Free roam around penalty box. He doesnt have qualties to defend yet, but I think he could eventualy make CM postion his own if given enough time.

There can only be so many spots for youngsters, we need the right balance. With Courtois eventually coming back and Lukaku returning next season, our first team in the next few seasons is 'and could' be looking too inexperienced. Probably best to keep the 'big picture' in mind before throwing around names like Kalas in this thread.

There are two sets of players I'd like for DM, DLP and CB; one that I would love, but but would never happen and one that is more realistic.

Dream set up:
CB: Varane
DM: Witsel

DLP: Moutinho

Realistic set up:
CB: Jores Okore
DM: Capoué
DLP: Beñat

Witsel is certainly not DM as he goes forward oftenly. He is CM with qualities of tackling and passing, dribbling.

Also Oscar and Kdb are NOT CMs. At least they are not good enough at tackling.

Well he can play as DM, even a very good one :)

@ standard, @our NT

Possible positions (in order of preference):

CM all roles really (B2B, DLP, Holding (he has the tackle skills & str, like you mentioned))

RM

Right back even! Although i cant find a video of that (played quite a few games there @ Benfica) -- (also because he played 1/2th of the time as DM @ standard)

But some reviews on him there because your prolly thinking im messing with ya:

http://axelwitselfans.tumblr.com/page/9

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1144265-manchester-united-and-manchester-city-eyeing-axel-witsel

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-united-potential-summer-transfer-targets-7873295.html?action=gallery&ino=12

even as a strike i guess (and now im exaggerating ;)), although prolly better than torrest atm!

Pivot is an issue but not our only one. To my mind, we have three major issues. One, is the pivot. We lack a deep-lying midfielder, someone who can distribute from the centre of the pitch and also contribute enough defensively to make a difference. We also lack width up front. I like Moses, but I think it's more likely he plays a squad role (which is still very important) than a regular starting XI player in the future. Probably too early to tell, but it's my gut feeling. Hazard, Mata, Oscar, and De Bruyne all like to play/are best suited for attacking central midfield. How can we accommodate four players into what should be two spots (the third should really go to a natural winger). Maybe De Bruyne or Oscar could be made into a central midfielder which would help us in two spots but it's not a given that either would succeed. Our third major problem is a lack of an elite central defender. We've had such great defenders for so long-Terry, Carvalho, Desailly, and Leboeuf dominated our central defence for about 15 years and now we need someone younger than Terry to step up and be that next defensive force or we likely need to buy someone who can be.

Pivot is an issue but not our only one. To my mind, we have three major issues. One, is the pivot. We lack a deep-lying midfielder, someone who can distribute from the centre of the pitch and also contribute enough defensively to make a difference. We also lack width up front. I like Moses, but I think it's more likely he plays a squad role (which is still very important) than a regular starting XI player in the future. Probably too early to tell, but it's my gut feeling. Hazard, Mata, Oscar, and De Bruyne all like to play/are best suited for attacking central midfield. How can we accommodate four players into what should be two spots (the third should really go to a natural winger). Maybe De Bruyne or Oscar could be made into a central midfielder which would help us in two spots but it's not a given that either would succeed. Our third major problem is a lack of an elite central defender. We've had such great defenders for so long-Terry, Carvalho, Desailly, and Leboeuf dominated our central defence for about 15 years and now we need someone younger than Terry to step up and be that next defensive force or we likely need to buy someone who can be.

You get a like just for giving Leboeuf some love - I loved watching him when I was younger and spent a lot of time in the Shed watching him spray balls to each side of the pitch, with either foot (Terry clearly modelled that part of his game on him). I also agree that we need an elite centre-back. When I defend Cahill or Bane, I say they're good third-choice centre-backs but we need that numer-one choice to play alongside Luiz still. I'd love for it to be someone from the Academy but I haven't seen enough of Omeruo or Kalas and the rest are all some way off. Ake and Chalobah seem to be looking to play in midfield as well.

The ideal guy would be Kompany but we've got fuck-all chance of getting him so we'll need to look further afield. Maybe Hummels, but again that's a long shot now.

I kinda agree that we need a winger, but I think Moses, Piazon and De Bruyne need to be given next season to fight it out with Hazard nailed-on for the left-wing.

But fixing the pivot is essential and we need a manager to decide what type of football we're going to play before we go into the market.

Well Kdb is best at playing in Mata's position. Free roam around penalty box. He doesnt have qualties to defend yet, but I think he could eventualy make CM postion his own if given enough time.

I am not trying to come at you or anything, but you seem very certain about your opinion :-)

KDB did play at a pure CM position at Genk and arguably played his best football there - even according to himself, the media, pundits and fans at Genk. Even now at Bremen - if you look at the forum, fans scream him to a more central role when he is played on the wing. Admitted, when he plays there, it is not in a defensive CM role (an old school 6). They have someone else do tha job there - as will probably be the case here if he gets the CM spot.

So ruling him out on that position is way premature. Not all pivot systems have two identical CM's as I indicated, so that is why I think with his capabilities (the speed of passing, accuracy, long range and vision) he will flourish - and make the team flourish as well - if he is paired alongside a mich more defensive oriented pivot player.

I've seen most of his games at Genk and now watch Bremen for him .... He is really good in transition, which is what we lack. Also, tackling might not be his thing, but a CM that is on the grond is a passed one. Good CM's make steals and position themselves well ... Competencies KDB has imo.

Buying for the more attacking CM pivot position, would be foolish. This guy has Hazard potential and is actually starting to reach it right now. Time will tell.

I think we need a deep lying playmaker, and have them play next to Mikel. Someone who links up the defence and attack, like an Alonso/Pirlo type. The problem is that there aren't that many of those out there. Most of the time, we are trying to break teams down, and that is not Ramires' strength. His strength is playing box to box and when we set up to play on the counter, he would be first choice in midfield. You could also use him as a sub when protecting a lead. He's at his best when powering through midfield with space in front of him (and his marker in his dust), not trying to thread balls and break teams down. Need players like him, need to be flexible tactically.

I like Mikel and Luiz together. Though obviously we need a deep-lying playmaker for our pivot and we don't have one.

Actually we do! But he is in Germany right now :-)

The Hazard of playmakers even !!!

I agree. A new CB is a must.

I don't think Chalobah should be recalled from Watford, because it's likely they will be promted and Premier League experience with them is a must. Besides he looks better in the midfield.

What about Kalas? He has been the standout defender in the Eredivisie for a couple of years.

Steve Clark was watching Kalas last weekend, I think he wants to sign him on loan for WBA next season. Which is good for him but possibly bad for us.

Anyway onto the pivot. I think when you said that Mikel has a restricted game you are surely joking, I don't want to get into this but Mikel could do with someone like Song (in a role he had at Arsenal, where he had a bit more freedom due to playing next to Arteta) next to him. Song really fine tuned his game and got was it 11 or 12 assists from CM, which is quite impressive. Hes a rounded player, can attack and defend equally well and would be perfect.

I don't want to see Oscar wasted next to Mikel tbh, one of the ebst parts in his game is his technical ability and the fact he drops t oask for the ball to help his teammates out, which ultimately frees up space and drags players out of positions. Playin him next to Mikel would be pointless, his passing range is good and his defensive work rate is too but still hes in my eyes a number 10 more than anything.

Also we must go back to 4-3-3 if we want to become this tiki taka like team. 4-3-3 is the perfect formation for it. Can change into a 3-4-3, 3-4-1-2, 3-3-1-3 or a 4-1-4-1 or 5-4-1 depending on what match situation. The players we have suit it better.

I am not trying to come at you or anything, but you seem very certain about your opinion :-)

KDB did play at a pure CM position at Genk and arguably played his best football there - even according to himself, the media, pundits and fans at Genk. Even now at Bremen - if you look at the forum, fans scream him to a more central role when he is played on the wing. Admitted, when he plays there, it is not in a defensive CM role (an old school 6). They have someone else do tha job there - as will probably be the case here if he gets the CM spot.

So ruling him out on that position is way premature. Not all pivot systems have two identical CM's as I indicated, so that is why I think with his capabilities (the speed of passing, accuracy, long range and vision) he will flourish - and make the team flourish as well - if he is paired alongside a mich more defensive oriented pivot player.

I've seen most of his games at Genk and now watch Bremen for him .... He is really good in transition, which is what we lack. Also, tackling might not be his thing, but a CM that is on the grond is a passed one. Good CM's make steals and position themselves well ... Competencies KDB has imo.

Buying for the more attacking CM pivot position, would be foolish. This guy has Hazard potential and is actually starting to reach it right now. Time will tell.

Well I would love to see him pair with Mikel but I dont know if that will work...

However getting someone like Modric will cut chances of kdb play in Cm. Perhaps we should try

Hazard-Mata-Kdb with Mata and Kdb changing position. But then where will Oscar play?

I dont understand why did we sign Oscar. We were looking for Modric alternative and bought Oscar who cant play CM yet. That means we will go buy another CM in summer and sell Oscar or he will share bench with Kdb...board what were you thinking?

In all honesty we need:

all-round deep playmaker,

powerful DM,

top class cb,

strong fast winger (ala Bale), striker

We have most of them in youth departments or on loan, but they are not experienced. And it will take time for them to become world class. IM sure that Roman wont be that patient...