Man Utd vs Chelsea Preview

NishC300

The Blues are a step away from Wembley but it'll be a big step. A trip to Old Trafford is what awaits them (and a replay if necessary). It's never easy to travel to the home of the league leaders (especially when you are in terrible form) but the Blues are taking the FA Cup seriously.

The match will kick off at 1630hrs GMT on Sunday 10th March. Both teams are coming to this match after losses in Europe.

So what do Chelsea do? What will be interesting is if Man United will allow Chelsea possession and use their pace to counter Chelsea or will United look to dominate possession. Chelsea have been pretty poor with possession recently.

Many people are expecting Hernandez to start but personally I think Van Persie might start. Manchester United have played their previous two games at Old Trafford so they haven't been traveling and they will be playing for the first time since Tuesday while Chelsea traveled to Bucharest and then have a trip to Manchester and moreover played two days after Man United. Also why won't Man United field their best squad against Chelsea (Hernandez isn't a regular starter for United but does have a good record against the Blues having struck five in his last six games against the Blues in all competitions) as Man United are 12 points clear on top of the table and are in only one other competition. If Man United can't with the treble they will now aim for the English Double.The Reds have had more rest and will be aiming for an English Double.

Also on Sunday Chelsea's defenders will have to have their eyes on the back of their heads. They will have to be careful and extremely watchful of Van Persie's movement. He isn't finding the net like he did earlier in the season (1 goal in 8 games and no goals in the past 5 games), but he too has a reputation for scoring goals against Chelsea, but it isn't exactly a scoring drought for Van Persie. Chelsea will have to be wary of Man United's long balls to set up counters or set up Van Persie for the volley. If Van Persie even receives the slightest amount of space a player with his finishing ability is likely to bury in the ball in the net. Ferguson could use this game as a chance to give Van Persie and Hernandez some more confidence.

John Terry will definitely rally the troops and constantly order the troops around and keep them organised and generally direct them. So it is essential that he starts and even though he may not be the fastest defender in the world against Man United's quick counterattacks but his game is built around reading the opponent's game and Chelsea need leader for these tough trips especially when the team is struggling.

It is essential that the Blues get an early goal. An early goal will quieten the Old Trafford crowd making it easier to play. Chelsea might play the following lineup.

Cech

Azpilicueta-Ivanovic-Terry-Cole

Lampard-Luiz

Moses-Mata-Oscar

Ba

Well Torres not starting is a no brainer (I don't think I need to explain anything more there). Personally I am only confused about two positions and those are a) whether to start Oscar/Hazard B ) Could Cahill possibly start ahead of Ivanovic. Let's start with a) Hazard didn't have the best of games against Bucharest but nor did most of the team. Both have been playing really well so it is confusing which of them to start. Moses should start since Chelsea need a player with work rate so he can track back and support the defense and provide them extra protection. Also he didn't travel to Bucharest so he has had more rest especially since he didn't start against West Brom. Oscar though has a better work rate than Hazard. Also for B ) Cahill has a reputation for excelling in the big games and has made some great game winning tackles and clearances. Despite that Ivanovic (even though he got sent off in the previous League meeting) will still start since he has been a reliable player and covers up for others. Lampard's leadership will also be essential in this game and in the past few weeks has been better than the most of the rest of the team. Luiz is a player full of desire and playing him is always a gamble but you have to take these risks for big matches. Hopefully he'll not dive into tackles so easily and will be careful since United could exploit his weaknesses.

Also what I fail to comprehend is why the Blues always bring Torres on in dire situations? Why would one bring on a player who has constantly been struggling to score goals when you need a goal? Moreover, I would also like to point out that Moses too can play at CF so Benitez doesn't have to bring on Torres if there is a situation when he desperately needs a goal. Moses did a really good job scoring goals for Wigan (which played a huge role in their survival in the 2011/2012 season). Also Mikel could be useful if Chelsea have the lead and are looking to grind out the result in the end. Ramires' pace can be useful. In a game like this the Starting XI isn't enough but the substitutions are too and Benitez's counter part Ferguson is a master at this.

It's not going to be easy for the Blues but hopefully a tie against Ferguson might just be the thing to fire Benitez up as he has been struggling and has failed to motivate the team. He will relish the chance to beat his rival in his own ground.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

@CHOULO19, Why are there smiley faces?

because B ) (with out the space) is the code for B) smiley.

Good article mate and some interesting points. I think if utd decide to give us possession we will struggle and will no doubt lose. However, seeing as they are playing at old toilet, their crowd will want them on the ball and that will give us a chance to win if we can exploit the space behind them.

This is a classic 'styles make fights' match in my opinion. The key areas will be in between the lines - United will look to exploit the space in wide areas between the full-backs and the wingers like they did in the first-half of the game at the Bridge. That means we need guys who will track back and that could mean Ramires on the right. The one encouraging thing about Benitez's reign has been the increased work rate of Hazard on the left so I expect him to get an hour there.

Our key man will be Mata though (shock horror). If the back six can keep it tight (the double pivot will have to work their bollocks off in defence and someone will have to watch Rooney dropping off the back four into deeper areas) then Mata will have to exploit the area between United's midfield and defence. That's been their area of weakness since the first day of the season when Fellaini ran amok there, but the addition of Jones as a DM has greatly improved that. If he's out then that probably leaves Carrick, Scholes or Cleverley to patrol that area and Mata could give any of them a torrid time.

Ba has to play right on the last man to create space and it's is going to be very much a backs-to-the-wall, hit on the counter, Barca-special.

Preparation is key, execution is essential, but United are beatable.

I disagree that we need an early goal though. Keep them out for the first 30 minutes and the crowd gets anxious, the players start to take chances and pockets of space appear around the pitch. We're probably going to be under pressure the entire match which makes me think they'll go for midfielders who are comfortable in possession. Keep them out of the box, nick a ball and break fast. They'll probably be looking to create 20+ chances and we'll get 6-9 all match.

This is a classic 'styles make fights' match in my opinion. The key areas will be in between the lines - United will look to exploit the space in wide areas between the full-backs and the wingers like they did in the first-half of the game at the Bridge. That means we need guys who will track back and that could mean Ramires on the right. The one encouraging thing about Benitez's reign has been the increased work rate of Hazard on the left so I expect him to get an hour there.

Our key man will be Mata though (shock horror). If the back six can keep it tight (the double pivot will have to work their bollocks off in defence and someone will have to watch Rooney dropping off the back four into deeper areas) then Mata will have to exploit the area between United's midfield and defence. That's been their area of weakness since the first day of the season when Fellaini ran amok there, but the addition of Jones as a DM has greatly improved that. If he's out then that probably leaves Carrick, Scholes or Cleverley to patrol that area and Mata could give any of them a torrid time.

Ba has to play right on the last man to create space and it's is going to be very much a backs-to-the-wall, hit on the counter, Barca-special.

Preparation is key, execution is essential, but United are beatable.

I disagree that we need an early goal though. Keep them out for the first 30 minutes and the crowd gets anxious, the players start to take chances and pockets of space appear around the pitch. We're probably going to be under pressure the entire match which makes me think they'll go for midfielders who are comfortable in possession. Keep them out of the box, nick a ball and break fast. They'll probably be looking to create 20+ chances and we'll get 6-9 all match.

Jones will miss the tie. He's injured. I've actually rarely seen them create 20+ chances and an early goal never does any harm (I'm not saying it's essential but it's useful).

because B ) (with out the space) is the code for B) smiley.

Good article mate and some interesting points. I think if utd decide to give us possession we will struggle and will no doubt lose. However, seeing as they are playing at old toilet, their crowd will want them on the ball and that will give us a chance to win if we can exploit the space behind them.

thanks for telling. So on the main site the article will be full of smileys or can that be changed? I dunno even last season at Old Toilet we dominated possession (and were by far far far the better side)

thanks for telling. So on the main site the article will be full of smileys or can that be changed? I dunno even last season at Old Toilet we dominated possession (and were by far far far the better side)

I edited out the smileys for you both here and on the main site.

But there were still spaces behind them and that is what we should look to exploit. I have a feeling Ba will do very well tomorrow.

I am cheering for the following lineup:

Azpi--Cahill/Iva/Luiz--Terry--Cole

------- Luiz/Lampard - Mikel -----

---------Mazacar-----------

-----------BA----------------

Terry cuz for me he we was the only one doing well against Bucharest.

Mikel to keep tabs on Kagawa (will prolly play) and/or Rooney.

Luiz (or Lampard) to be the well needed link between Defence and Oscar (or another AM)

And well BA instead of Torres.. duh.

If we dont plan to/if we cant link up properly, like in Bucharest, we may as well not put Hazard/Oscar on the field and go with Moses/Lampard.

Then i would go for:

Iva- Cahill -Terry--Cole

------- Luiz - Mikel -----

Mata---Lampard---Moses

-----------BA----------------