Should we put our faith in the youth?

Having Ba + Lukaku ain't gonna work. Lukaku has yet to finish his developement.

Footballers never stop developing. What we have here is a full international with 19 caps who has scored 13 goals in the Premier League in his first proper season.

He's got 10 more games this season so he could end up on 20 goals if things go his way.

I'd love for this kid to come back because I love his attitude and his attributes. We're going to have to agree to disagree because there's no way I'm not going to back this kid. I love that he cried when he first came here because that's what I've done many a time. I love that he didn't take so much joy in last year's Champions League win because he didn't feel he earned it.

I love that he gave the finger to all his detractors both here and elsewhere with his performances for West Brom.

And I'm going to love it when he does that again next season at this club. I see no reason not to back this guy. He might not sell as many shirts as other players but he'll be proud wearing the one fucking shirt that matters.

Every one of us that went to the Bridge in our kits because we thought we might get a game - this is your guy. Start backing him.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im all for the development of youth, and those saying Lukaku cant be in our first team because he's not developed.... he's having a blinder of a season and is playing better than Torres AND Ba... why cant he play in the first team? he is still learning and he does still make some bad decisions... but he still finds the net...

look at Sterling... he's young as hell, but he gets to play first team football because he's seen as being capable. if somone is good enough to be in the first team, then they should be. not matter their age. Wilshere, Sturridge, Cleverly, Jones, jsut to name a few, all played first team football regularly despite their age.

The problem is the managers. they have to like the player and see them in their plans for them to be able to play. some managers don't care on the age of the player, if he feels they can increase their chances of a win, then they'll play them. some managers are the opposite.

I just hope we have a manager that isnt afraid to paly a youngster when he feels they can benefit us. and if we have that manager, then these youngsters will get their game time if they deserve it. or at least id like to hope.

Footballers never stop developing. What we have here is a full international with 19 caps who has scored 13 goals in the Premier League in his first proper season.

He's got 10 more games this season so he could end up on 20 goals if things go his way.

I'd love for this kid to come back because I love his attitude and his attributes. We're going to have to agree to disagree because there's no way I'm not going to back this kid. I love that he cried when he first came here because that's what I've done many a time. I love that he didn't take so much joy in last year's Champions League win because he didn't feel he earned it.

I love that he gave the finger to all his detractors both here and elsewhere with his performances for West Brom.

And I'm going to love it when he does that again next season at this club. I see no reason not to back this guy. He might not sell as many shirts as other players but he'll be proud wearing the one fucking shirt that matters.

Every one of us that went to the Bridge in our kits because we thought we might get a game - this is your guy. Start backing him.

Any debate with you is an endless debate lol (don't get me wrong, I am not getting a dig at you).

I don't see why I would start to back him since I have never written him off in this discussion, in the first place. All I am saying is that Ba + Lukaku is not good enough to be the striking force of a club of the standard of Chelsea. We are already filled with average players all over the pitch. And in my honest opinion, if we are happy with Lukaku+Ba, then we should change our aims and be happy to be a club fighting only for a CL spot instead of being a club fighting for the title. On this matter, yes we shall agree to disagree because for me, whatever the argumentation and semantic, Ba + Lukaku will always be equal to not good enough. Just as a midfield department compound of Ramires, Mikel and Lampard is not good enough for a team claiming to be an elite club.

As for Lukaku himself, I am not saying that he isn't ready. Actually, from what he currently showcases, he might be ready to play here. The problem isn't himself. The problem is that having only he and Ba is not good enough. The problem is that having him, Ba and a marquee striker will just be too much and might hinder his development. If you tell me that next year our striking force will be Cavani + Lukaku, then I am all up for it !!

The bottom line is that I think it's a better solution for both parties to send him on loan one more season. This way, we get a proven striker this summer, so next season our striking force will be + Ba (please, don't quote me on Cavani, it's just for the debate sake) while that Lukaku will thrive in peace. And, next summer we sell Ba, recall Lukaku and have Cavani+Lukaku as our striking force. I believe that having Cavani+Ba then Cavani+Lukaku is a lot more exciting (and is a better option as well for our Club) than having Ba+Lukaku for two seasons.

I believe that our opinions on Lukaku are actually more or less the same. Where they differ is regarding the potential Ba+Lukaku.

If you look at the players on loan and the potential compared to other clubs' younger players in the EPL, Chelsea are pretty fucking scary in the future.

If we handle their development properly, Chelsea has a very bright future....

However..if we stuff up their development by making them sit on the bench or sending them to the wrong club on loan, then our future isn't so bright...

Any debate with you is an endless debate lol (don't get me wrong, I am not getting a dig at you).

I don't see why I would start to back him since I have never written him off in this discussion, in the first place. All I am saying is that Ba + Lukaku is not good enough to be the striking force of a club of the standard of Chelsea. We are already filled with average players all over the pitch. And in my honest opinion, if we are happy with Lukaku+Ba, then we should change our aims and be happy to be a club fighting only for a CL spot instead of being a club fighting for the title. On this matter, yes we shall agree to disagree because for me, whatever the argumentation and semantic, Ba + Lukaku will always be equal to not good enough. Just as a midfield department compound of Ramires, Mikel and Lampard is not good enough for a team claiming to be an elite club.

I'm of a different opinion. I have faith in this kid and I think they are good enough for us to fulfil our aims of winning the league next season.

As for Lukaku himself, I am not saying that he isn't ready. Actually, from what he currently showcases, he might be ready to play here. The problem isn't himself. The problem is that having only he and Ba is not good enough. The problem is that having him, Ba and a marquee striker will just be too much and might hinder his development. If you tell me that next year our striking force will be Cavani + Lukaku, then I am all up for it !!

We showed today that we're a good team with goals in the team. What this comes down to is needs and money - we need a midfielder desperately. Spending £50 million on a striker when we have Lukaku seems like a reckless use of what are now limited funds.

The bottom line is that I think it's a better solution for both parties to send him on loan one more season. This way, we get a proven striker this summer, so next season our striking force will be + Ba (please, don't quote me on Cavani, it's just for the debate sake) while that Lukaku will thrive in peace. And, next summer we sell Ba, recall Lukaku and have Cavani+Lukaku as our striking force. I believe that having Cavani+Ba then Cavani+Lukaku is a lot more exciting (and is a better option as well for our Club) than having Ba+Lukaku for two seasons.

So you're not saying that Cavani is this 'proven striker' (because he isn't proven in the PL and that is our bread and butter), so who is? Who is the mystery man that we should sign? Has he scored more goals than Lukaku this season?

Hasn't Lukaku proven himself yet?

I believe that our opinions on Lukaku are actually more or less the same. Where they differ is regarding the potential Ba+Lukaku.

I've said that we should get a third in, but that it should be a versatile option like Kalou was.

What I don't want is this club putting a massive price tag in front of a player who has done exactly the right thing, with the right attitude this year. I think he's earned a shot. I think it's the fair thing to do, I think it's the right thing to do and I think there's something pernicious about the desire to go out and buy a big name guy who probably isn't going to be proven in this league.

But if you're saying that we should sign someone like Cavani and loan him out for a year to a club like West Brom so he can prove himself, then you may have a point. :D

Coach: The Special One

Team:

-------------------------Courtious--------------------------

Ivanovic------------Cahill-------Luiz-----------------Shaw

---------------------Ramires-------Paulinho----------------

------Mata-----------------Oscar---------------------Hazard-

-----------------------Lukaku-----------------------------

Coach: The Special One

Team:

-------------------------Courtious--------------------------

Ivanovic------------Cahill-------Luiz-----------------Shaw

---------------------Ramires-------Paulinho----------------

------Mata-----------------Oscar---------------------Hazard-

-----------------------Lukaku-----------------------------

I think we are better off if we have someone like modric/moutinho instead of paulinho

This is what I'm talking about. People are taking notice. Hopefully Roman selects the right man to coach the best out of these great young players.

http://ninetyminutesonline.com/2013/03/10/chelseas-returning-starlets-will-form-the-nucleus-of-an-exceptional-team/?

A long term vision/manager, some time and a little fan-patience is all we need...

Our current 'crop' is truly exceptional, I believe!

Still, though I agree with The only place to be, I share Peace's opinion on having a target man option up front - especially if we make it to a CL spot (WICH WE WILL - DO YOU HEAR ME RAFA!!). MMmmm, Cavani :-)

First off, ppl comparing our situation in the striker department with manu are way off, they use more strikers than us/are more dependent on them.
2ndly, in priority i rather have signings on other position(s) than we would buy another 40/50M striker.
Next to this it all depends on the coach we will have if we should loan out Lukaku or not, if we buy another big striker and stick with 1 upfront he should so definitely...

So well for these reasons i dont really mind getting another striker as long as we look at other area's first/aswell, also because i think Lukaku could be fit for the job already if you can accept he might have some off-games, which i can put up with after the torres-saga + i seem to have more faith in Ba than most of us.

Ideally perhaps would be a striker who could also play as winger + would be rather cheap due to his age , but is still a great striker. I am thinking Villa now.

We have all been saying this ;)

Lukaku is ready NOW! You telling me that Wellbeck is better than Lukaku? Yet SAF plays him in big games!

West Brom have half the creative force we have and he's rattled in 13/14 goals!!!

This guy will be a beast with us and if 2 defenders are marking him lots of space for our attacking trio to exploit!

Lukaku needs to start next year! Simple end of. We need a DM and DLP before we need another striker... That's suspecting Chalobah won't be given the chance he deserves nor KdB :( if not - we have 2 guys that could fill that role.

Think we also need a new LB - Cole has been awful lately...

We also need a new CB of Terry's stature - Cahill just doesn't cut it :(

Do any of you guys think that its difficult for strikers to perform well and score goals with our current setup? build up can be slow, the play is very narrow leaving very little space for strikers. Just a thought Ive been wondering.

Do any of you guys think that its difficult for strikers to perform well and score goals with our current setup? build up can be slow, the play is very narrow leaving very little space for strikers. Just a thought Ive been wondering.

Yup but it also stems from the Torres effect - Strikers are seen as a wasted ball...

We do need to up our tempo massively and against Utd I was screaming at the TV as we had players wide UNMARKED and no pass!

I also hate how we're in attack and a sudden succession of passes sees the ball at Cechs feet for a long hoof!!! Instant possession loss!

Hate Utd - but I love how they always play forward... Wish we could do that!!!

Proper manager will do the work, nothing else matters..

From personal view, I would like to see as many youngsters to suceed, fact is that we have enough youth in every position we want/need to strenghten.

But honestly, that will take trophies away from us for few years. After 5 years in investing only players we alread have, we would gain tons of respect, loyalty, fans and interest, possibly could become world beaters if we had patience. But I doubt the board/fans/Roman/players are ready to do it. Instant succes is what they want and the youth gets axed there...still waiting 5 years and then have a great team ready for trophies would be one of greatest moments in Chelsea history.