Should we put our faith in the youth?

Why couldn't he be starting here? If he was given a chance to fight for that DM spot, I think he'd have a good chance at winning it from Mikel or Ramires.

See this is our problem. We don't give players a chance and then say we can't because they haven't played enough. It's maddening.

The issue here is that our first team isn't a footballing school. Its there for the purpose of getting at least 1-2 trophies a season.

If there's a youth player that can instantly slot into our first team, they will be retained. Else they are sent out on loan to improve, or tossed back into the reserves, or at the most retained as a squad player.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

De Bruyne is at least as good as the average Chelsea player, and he will come along rapidly if we put him in regularly.

Lukaku is already EPL proven so I don't understand how one could make an argument about him not being ready.

Chalobah is dominating in the championship league, I don't know if he's ready or not, I think he needs an EPL loan to prove himself (or better yet, next year if Watford get promoted).

Ake looked better than I've seen mikel in a long time, and I think would do a better job in the pivot than Lamps has been lately (although I love seeing #8 on the pitch). Then again it was one game against sub-premier league competition, so who knows, he could probably use a first league loan as well.

Piazon is very close to being EPL ready, but with our attacking midfield strength I don't think we need him at the moment.

Other than courtois obviously I don't think the rest of them are Chelsea ready, perhaps Feruz but its hard to tell. However, If our players are tired and the competition not too might, I would love to start some of these prospects and keep playing them as long as they do well. I understand not recalling players from good loans, but Ake could easily have played this week at Steaua, no reason not to, I think he could be a star.

Bring them all back for next season and include them in first team plans. We need a deep-lying playmaker like Modric or Benat and Josh isn't ready so we'd need to go into the market, but for the replacement for Mikel we could go with Chalobah.

Up front rather than going after Falcao we could go with Lukaku, Bent and either one other who can play on the wings as well, or maybe even include Feruz.

De Bruyne instead of Isco, and maybe even look at bringing Courtois into the fold and cashing in on Petr. We're in transition so now is as good a time as any to cut ties with the past an build something new.

I see, sorry!

Well, I honestly think each player/position is a different case and we need a bit of both: youngsters being promoted and some transfer window activity...

Lukaku: If we qualify for UCL, I would loan him for one more year. First because I am not sure Torres will leave and second I believe we need a bombastic teamplayer like Cavani upfront. Romelu would still keep his growth in a EPL midtable team and we would be secured with a duo of Ba/Cavani. However, if we finish 5th, there is no need to spend big on a 'luxury' (if Spuds have Defoe/Adebayor and Arse have Grioud/Podolski and still make the top4, Lukaku/Ba is more than enough).

Feruz: Loan him to a Championship team for at least two more years!

Piazon: This is tricky....How good is he? Will we keep Marin or not? If both answers are negative, we must loan him to a Premier League team and buy a Winger who is fast, can drible and work on both sides. Without Moses and Hazard we have absolutely no width.

KDB: He is good, I honestly believe he will be very good. I also think he is ready. Since Lampard probably wont stay, Essien is unlikely to return and Ramires is not made to be a regular first team player, he has a spot in the squad right for him. He is versatile and I dont see him being mad if we dont start him regularly in his first season.

Josh: Not ready, imo. I would loan him to an English team and see how he reacts...

Ake: Also depends whether we get top4 or not. If we do, we will certainly need a top DM. If we dont, I see no problem if only having Mikel/Romeu/Ake.

Chabolah: Needs a EPL team so our staff can trully analyse how good the kid is. He seems outstanding, but must be taken care of. No place for him in the currently squad: JT, Luiz, Cahill and Iva already.

Courtois: He said he is fine waiting 2 more years. I hope so, cant let him go at any cost!

Old Guard: This pains me to say, but I totally belive we would be better off without JT and Lampard next yer. God, it seems so weird saying this, but I honestly do. Sorry, said it! ;-(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In resume, this would be my two different dream squads for next year, depending on this season's outcome. Feel totally free to give your opinion, I am writing this exactly so I can see what other people think.

UCL

GK: Cech, Turnbull (Courtois on loan)

RB: Azi, Iva

CB: X, Luiz, Cahill (Chabolah on loan)

LB: Cole, Bertrand

DM: X, Mikel, Ake

CM: X, Ramires, KDB (Josh on loan)

CAM: Mata, Oscar

W: Hazard, Moses, X (Piazon on loan)

ST: X, Ba, (Lukaku on loan)

Xs: Hummels, Capoue, Moutinho/Modric, Gaitan/Rodriguez, Cavani. (they are only options, be more worried with their style of play)

UEL

CB: Terry, Luiz, Cahill (Chabolah on loan)

W: Hazard, Moses, Piazon/Marin

ST: Lukaku, Ba (Feruz on loan)

Xs: Capoue and Moutinho/Modric (they are only options, be more worried with their style of play)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, this is only my two cents, but you cant deny the UCL squad would be beast! :D

We need to have a right balance of youth and experienced players in the team. Otherwise, we risk of becoming another Arsenal. And also, to have a competent manager managing the team!

That's not even Arsenal. Of their starting XI, only Gibbs is a young, relatively unproven player and he still played about 70-75 fairly top level games going into this season. Jenkinson and Oxlade-Chamberlin are subs that play fairly regularly but after that, they have a pretty veteran lineup. That type of model is fine for us. If we want to work in 2 or 3 young players into the lineup, great, that's what most teams do, but the idea that we should have five or six or seven players like that is absurd as is the notion that we should bring players who have never played a game at a high level. Top clubs simply don't do that because you won't win. That is what development clubs like Aston Villa or Southampton might do.

Here's how many of our outfield players since Mourinho came who have started more than 5 games in a season /10 or more games/20 or more games

2011-2012: 21/19/14

2010-2011: 17/17/11

2009-2010: 20/18/16

2008-2009: 18/16/14

2007-2008: 22/21/16

2006-2007: 19/18/15

2005-2006: 18/17/14

2004-2005: 20/17/13

Next season I see the likely team as: Cech, backup keeper, third keeper, Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Luiz, Cole, Bertrand, Mikel, Romeu, Ramires, Oscar, Mata, Hazard, Ramires, De Bruyne, Moses, Ba, Lukaku, a new central midfielder, maybe another central or attacking midfielder, and maybe a new striker as the likely team.. That's about 20-22 players for the outfield rotation which is as much as you need. I can see us maybe upgrading somewhere, buying a better LB than Bertrand or a new DM, but only if it's an improvement on what we already have

This is how squads tend to break down in terms of playing time and it doesn't matter who the manager is, there is very little difference. If you want a squad with 27 outfield players, that's fine, but you have to realize that a bunch of those players will almost never play and guess which players those will be, the proven veterans who are full internationals and who have played Champions League football and won trophies or the untested youngsters? How is it more beneficial for the development of Feruz or Chalobah or Ake or whomever to get into five games for Chelsea rather than 35 for another club?

That's not even Arsenal. Of their starting XI, only Gibbs is a young, relatively unproven player and he still played about 70-75 fairly top level games going into this season. Jenkinson and Oxlade-Chamberlin are subs that play fairly regularly but after that, they have a pretty veteran lineup. That type of model is fine for us. If we want to work in 2 or 3 young players into the lineup, great, that's what most teams do, but the idea that we should have five or six or seven players like that is absurd as is the notion that we should bring players who have never played a game at a high level. Top clubs simply don't do that because you won't win. That is what development clubs like Aston Villa or Southampton might do.

Except United did that in 1996. But that was a different time wasn't it, when you could win with youth (except we now know they didn't).

Here's how many of our outfield players since Mourinho came who have started more than 5 games in a season /10 or more games/20 or more games

2011-2012: 21/19/14

2010-2011: 17/17/11

2009-2010: 20/18/16

2008-2009: 18/16/14

2007-2008: 22/21/16

2006-2007: 19/18/15

2005-2006: 18/17/14

2004-2005: 20/17/13

Next season I see the likely team as: Cech, backup keeper, third keeper, Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Luiz, Cole, Bertrand, Mikel, Romeu, Ramires, Oscar, Mata, Hazard, Ramires, De Bruyne, Moses, Ba, Lukaku, a new central midfielder, maybe another central or attacking midfielder, and maybe a new striker as the likely team.. That's about 20-22 players for the outfield rotation which is as much as you need. I can see us maybe upgrading somewhere, buying a better LB than Bertrand or a new DM, but only if it's an improvement on what we already have

This is how squads tend to break down in terms of playing time and it doesn't matter who the manager is, there is very little difference. If you want a squad with 27 outfield players, that's fine, but you have to realize that a bunch of those players will almost never play and guess which players those will be, the proven veterans who are full internationals and who have played Champions League football and won trophies or the untested youngsters? How is it more beneficial for the development of Feruz or Chalobah or Ake or whomever to get into five games for Chelsea rather than 35 for another club?

You've said before that you don't think Chalobah is ready (you're not the only one). In what way is he not ready apart from him not having played in the Premier League? What have you seen in his game that convinces you he couldn't come in and do a job for us?

My view is that he has everything needed to be pushing for a start for us from next season so why don't we let him at least fight for a spot.

I suggested a few years ago we should draft 4 under 21s into the first team squad and attempt to start two in each game except the hardest games ,

That way they start games on a regular basis surrounded by experience, No we put them on the bench and sometimes give them 5 minutes

I see, sorry!

Well, I honestly think each player/position is a different case and we need a bit of both: youngsters being promoted and some transfer window activity...

Lukaku: If we qualify for UCL, I would loan him for one more year. First because I am not sure Torres will leave and I believe we need a bombastic teamplayer like Cavani upfront. Romelu would still keep his growth in a EPL midtable team and we would be secured with a duo of Ba/Cavani. However, if we finish 5th, there is no need to spend big on a 'luxury' (if Spuds have Defoe/Adebayor and Arse have Grioud/Podolski and still make the top4, Lukaku/Ba is more than enough).

This kid loves Chelsea and he's proven he's good enough for the Premier League. Why don't we give him a shot rather than buying a 26 year old to put in his way? I know there's plenty of fans who love everything about this guy and I'm one of them. I'd rather we sell him then treat him like this.

Feruz: Loan him to a Championship team for at least two more years!

Could do, or we could actually use him in the first team. This kid has something special and I'd probably agree with you if I hadn't seen him play so many times. Finding the right loan for him would be very tough.

Piazon: This is tricky....How good is he? Will we keep Marin or not? If both answers are negative, we must loan him to a Premier League team and buy a Winger who is fast, can drible and work on both sides. Without Moses and Hazard we have absolutely no width.

He's done better than I expected at Malaga. It's early days but if we can get rid of Marin then I'd include him in the squad.

KDB: He is good, I honestly believe he will be very good. I also think he is ready. Since Lampard probably wont stay, Essien is unlikely to return and Ramires is not made to be a regular first team player, he has a spot in the squad right for him. He is versatile and I dont see him being mad if we dont start him regularly in his first season.

Nailed on for a spot next year.

Josh: Not ready, imo. I would loan him to an English team and see how he reacts...

Sadly I agree. He needs at least two more years before he's even ready for a squad spot in my opinion.

Ake: Also depends whether we get top4 or not. If we do, we will certainly need a top DM. If we dont, I see no problem if only having Mikel/Romeu/Ake.

If we include Chalobah in the first-team squad then he could go on loan. Again, it has to be the right loan (Brighton would be ideal if they lost Bridcutt) but his versatility would be usefu.

Chabolah: Needs a EPL team so our staff can trully analyse how good the kid is. He seems outstanding, but must be taken care of. No place for him in the currently squad: JT, Luiz, Cahill and Iva already.

He's been playing in midfield for Watford and he could come in and compete for us. He's just an outstanding prospect and I don't know what he'd gain from another season on loan. This kid has everything and he'd be a great presence in the squad.

Courtois: He said he is fine waiting 2 more years. I hope so, cant let him go at any cost!

He's about as ready as a player could be. If we're going to transition then there's always the option of cashing in on Cech and letting this kid help establish a new spine in our team.

Old Guard: This pains me to say, but I totally belive we would be better off without JT and Lampard next yer. God, it seems so weird saying this, but I honestly do. Sorry, said it! ;-(

If Lamps is gone then JT will go next summer. Got to imagine he has no transfer value left with his public image and deteriorating physical condition.

In resume, this would be my two different dream squads for next year, depending on this season's outcome. Feel totally free to give your opinion, I am writing this exactly so I can see what other people think.

UCL

CB: X, Luiz, Cahill (Chabolah on loan)

W: Hazard, Moses, X (Piazon on loan)

ST: X, Ba, (Lukaku on loan)

Xs: Hummels, Capoue, Moutinho/Modric, Gaitan/Rodriguez, Cavani. (they are only options, be more worried with their style of play)

UEL

CB: Terry, Luiz, Cahill (Chabolah on loan)

W: Hazard, Moses, Piazon/Marin

ST: Lukaku, Ba (Feruz on loan)

Xs: Capoue and Moutinho/Modric (they are only options, be more worried with their style of play)

Anyways, this is only my two cents, but you cant deny the UCL squad would be beast! :D

You've said before that you don't think Chalobah is ready (you're not the only one). In what way is he not ready?

My view is that he has everything needed to be pushing for a start for us from next season so why don't we let him at least fight for a spot.

It's because you're asking to prove a negative. You can't prove readiness one way or another until he plays but the same is true of a player who plays for the third division in Scotland or me. How can you prove that I'm not good enough to start for Chelsea without me playing for Chelsea? (and falling over in a heap after 3 minutes) I will say this.

1) The jump from the Championship to the Premier League is enormous. If a player looked poised in say the Polish or Slovakian league, would you say he's shown he's good enough for Chelsea? Of course not.

2) The record of players coming from the Championship to the Premier League is poor.

3) Being good even great in the Championship is no guarantee of even being decent in the Premier League. Of all the 7 players to win the Championship player of the year , not one is currently on a top-5 club and 3 aren't even in the Premier League and 1 isn't even in football. Those are the very best of the best of the Championship players. Those were players performing at a higher level than Chalobah is now and with more experience and they still have a very poor record of performance.

4) The record for teenagers having as positive impact in the Premier League is very poor and it's even poorer at top clubs.

So, no, it's not possible to prove that he's not ready, just that the chances of him being good enough for Chelsea right now are slim, the likelihood of his making an impact at Chelsea if he got the chance is doubtful, and that both he and the club would be better served going on loan to a Premier League club.

Why don't I want him to fight for a spot? Because it's pointless. The best player in our pre-season was probably Marin who has been maybe the worst player during our regular season. Looking good on a tour of America or Asia is meaningless because you're facing different quality and your top players are more interested in getting into game-shape than in trying to impress.

It's because you're asking to prove a negative. You can't prove readiness one way or another until he plays but the same is true of a player who plays for the third division in Scotland or me. How can you prove that I'm not good enough to start for Chelsea without me playing for Chelsea? (and falling over in a heap after 3 minutes) I will say this.

1) The jump from the Championship to the Premier League is enormous. If a player looked poised in say the Polish or Slovakian league, would you say he's shown he's good enough for Chelsea? Of course not.

2) The record of players coming from the Championship to the Premier League is poor.

3) Being good even great in the Championship is no guarantee of even being decent in the Premier League. Of all the 7 players to win the Championship player of the year , not one is currently on a top-5 club and 3 aren't even in the Premier League and 1 isn't even in football. Those are the very best of the best of the Championship players. Those were players performing at a higher level than Chalobah is now and with more experience and they still have a very poor record of performance.

4) The record for teenagers having as positive impact in the Premier League is very poor and it's even poorer at top clubs.

So, no, it's not possible to prove that he's not ready, just that the chances of him being good enough for Chelsea right now are slim, the likelihood of his making an impact at Chelsea if he got the chance is doubtful, and that both he and the club would be better served going on loan to a Premier League club.

Why don't I want him to fight for a spot? Because it's pointless. The best player in our pre-season was probably Marin who has been maybe the worst player during our regular season. Looking good on a tour of America or Asia is meaningless because you're facing different quality and your top players are more interested in getting into game-shape than in trying to impress.

You haven't really referred to any of his qualities, attributes or virtues when saying he isn't ready.

Have you seen him play?

This kid loves Chelsea and he's proven he's good enough for the Premier League. Why don't we give him a shot rather than buying a 26 year old to put in his way? I know there's plenty of fans who love everything about this guy and I'm one of them. I'd rather we sell him then treat him like this.

I am not 100% positive on my wish to loan him if we get UCL, but I dont see it doing that much damage to him. I mean, Cavani and Ba would be temporarily, since Ba is 'old' and injury prone and maybe we even start using 2 strikers, so buying Cavani is not as crazy as it sounds. Loaning him for just one more year might be a good option.

Also, Cavani/Lukaku in the future will be so deadly, wow!

Could do, or we could actually use him in the first team. This kid has something special and I'd probably agree with you if I hadn't seen him play so many times. Finding the right loan for him would be very tough.

I must admit i have only seen him playing 3-4 times, but what worries me is that his body is not ready to take on the Premier League. If he prefers a Marin role for the next year or so, I see no problem. if he wants to play, then we must loan Feruz.

I do agree it will be hard to find a good team for him...

He's done better than I expected at Malaga. It's early days but if we can get rid of Marin then I'd include him in the squad.

I would include him if we are out of UCL. However, I absolutely think Moses and Hazard are not enough (not in quality) for a strong run in both the English League and Champions League. Gaitan or Rodriguez would do really well on our team, seriously. They provide good width, dribling and crossing ability and they know how to defend.

Nailed on for a spot next year.

Yes!

Sadly I agree. He needs at least two more years before he's even ready for a squad spot in my opinion.

Maybe in one year he surprises us all and do really well, but definetly not ready for an immediate spot. Agreed!

If we include Chalobah in the first-team squad then he could go on loan. Again, it has to be the right loan (Brighton would be ideal if they lost Bridcutt) but his versatility would be usefu.

Ake has no place right now, imo. We would have 3 DMs and none of them would be world class. I just dont see Romeu thriving anymore (seems harsh, but idk) and Mikel + Ake wont do. Someone like Capoue is one of our highest priorities.

He's been playing in midfield for Watford and he could come in and compete for us. He's just an outstanding prospect and I don't know what he'd gain from another season on loan. This kid has everything and he'd be a great presence in the squad.

I actually think you might be right. At least so he can see how things are in Cobham and get that everyday life experience...

He's about as ready as a player could be. If we're going to transition then there's always the option of cashing in on Cech and letting this kid help establish a new spine in our team.

He is, but do we just tell Cech to pack his things and go? Wouldnt it be disrespectful?

I just feel sometimes we gotta do what is right and not what is rationally the best...

If Lamps is gone then JT will go next summer. Got to imagine he has no transfer value left with his public image and deteriorating physical condition.

I just dont see them sadly being worth not even 90-100k, let alone 150k+. Very sad, but true!

So, what you think of the squads? Balanced? Totally out of line? Way to unrealistic?

Also, how sure are you that Torres will leave?

You haven't really referred to any of his qualities, attributes or virtues when saying he isn't ready.

Have you seen him play?

I have seen him a few times only, but it doesn't matter because it is impossible to compare quality when the difference in competition is so enormous. He's looked good when I've seen him, especially considering his age. However, there are dozens of players that look poised, confident, and talented in the Championship who would be devoured in the Premier League. It's the same concept (although bigger gap) with our youth teams. This is the point. You can't judge a players' ability until he plays at a high level. Teams like Chelsea can't afford to bring young players along and nourish them while they make mistakes as they adjust to the new league (which they all will). We need players who are already quality and have proven it at a top level.

Just my opinion on a few of our younger players who are on loan and who could be/wont be part of a future Chelsea team:

Courtois is more than ready to start.

Josh needs a season or two in the Championship before 2 seasons of regular PL football before being ready realistically.

Lukaku needs another year of regular football but could probably do a job.

Chalobah is probably the same as Josh another year in the Championship or a few seasons of PL football if Watford get promoted.

Piazon, unsure, looked out of place in the FA cup game vs United. Probably a season or two of regular top level football in any country would do him good.

Kalas, is he ready? Not watched much of him but I've heard very promising reports about him. Maybe use him as a backup RB with Ivan used as a CB or a PL loan depending on who comes in as coach.

De Bruyne, more than ready and capable just where to play him? Wide left, wide right, attacking midfield? Box to Box MF role? Depends on the coach next year and his preffered formation.

Feruz, keep him with the u21s then maybe a loan deal in the Championship depending on his progression next season.

Omeruo, really impressed with him at ACON, apparently his agent said we were considering taking him back next season, unsure if hes ready or not but based on his ACON performances he could maybe get a loan at a mid table PL club.

Kakuta, he can just fuck off tbh, wasted talent, shit attitude.

Ake looked solid vs Middlesbrough, should get a loan in the Championship, then another year then maybe a year in the PL after.

Sam, hate to say it his career looks like it has been over for a few years.

Bruma, probably be sold at the end of the season to Hamburg. Doesn't look like hes going to be a top center half anyway.

PVA, don't know, probably be sold, hasn't really settled as well at a club as well since his Newcastle loan.

Davila, never had hope for him at all really, unsure how hes doing, don't think he'll get much of a chance with our current attacking options.

Thorgan, really surprised me, actually see him getting a chance in our team in 3 or 4 years tbh. Depends on picking good loans though but still promising.

Wallace, unsure, not seen much, could be good, could be bad. We'll see though. Will he be loaned out in Brazil next year? Probably not, with the likes of Napoli, Juve, Roma all wanting him last year maybe we should look to loan him out in Italy next year.

The other English lads, George, Patrick, Billy, Sam etc don't see much of a chance for them sadly due to the players we have in their positions.

Lalkovic, had hoped that he'd have had better chances on loan but it hasn't worked for him too well. Still young, probably get him a league 1 or championship loan next season see where he goes from their.

Just my opinion on a few of our younger players who are on loan and who could be/wont be part of a future Chelsea team:

Courtois is more than ready to start.

Josh needs a season or two in the Championship before 2 seasons of regular PL football before being ready realistically.

Lukaku needs another year of regular football but could probably do a job.

Chalobah is probably the same as Josh another year in the Championship or a few seasons of PL football if Watford get promoted.

Piazon, unsure, looked out of place in the FA cup game vs United. Probably a season or two of regular top level football in any country would do him good.

Kalas, is he ready? Not watched much of him but I've heard very promising reports about him. Maybe use him as a backup RB with Ivan used as a CB or a PL loan depending on who comes in as coach.

De Bruyne, more than ready and capable just where to play him? Wide left, wide right, attacking midfield? Box to Box MF role? Depends on the coach next year and his preffered formation.

Feruz, keep him with the u21s then maybe a loan deal in the Championship depending on his progression next season.

Omeruo, really impressed with him at ACON, apparently his agent said we were considering taking him back next season, unsure if hes ready or not but based on his ACON performances he could maybe get a loan at a mid table PL club.

Bruma, probably be sold at the end of the season to Hamburg. Doesn't look like hes going to be a top center half anyway.

PVA, don't know, probably be sold, hasn't really settled as well at a club as well since his Newcastle loan.

The other English lads, George, Patrick, Billy, Sam etc don't see much of a chance for them sadly due to the players we have in their positions.

Feruz: Find the right club (championship or league 1) and loan him out

Josh: Still don't see him as physically ready

Lukaku: Depends on top 4 finish and possibility of signing a big name striker like Cavani

Piazon: Probably another loan spell...making him play in the Chelsea reserves will just end his development

De Bruyne: Definitely needs to come back..

Kalas: Depends on top 4 finish...he couldn't do much worse than Cahill or Luiz at CB...

Bruma: Sell him for a good fee...

PvA: Has done well at Vitesse...bring him back...

Omeruo: Needs regular games.

Courtois: The more he stays in Spain...the more I think Barca might take him..

rmpr i agree with everything you said !

Same , except for the winger part, i think Marin should get a proper chance first + De Bruyne can also play wide by the way if needed (yeh what cant he do?!) ;) especially since we don't use out and out wingers. (And we shouldn't , ours are too good technically/creatively)

Also Piazon could get 1st team gametime if he is ok with playing 20 minutes/game. In your example he could sub Moses or Hazard if needed @ minute 65/70 to gain experience... which could happen quite often as wingers get subbed the most. Next to that the early rounds in cups/EL. (if we fail in CL or dont qualify)

Would be the same way Hazard played his first year @ Lille and that didnt turn out bad :)

I have seen him a few times only, but it doesn't matter because it is impossible to compare quality when the difference in competition is so enormous. He's looked good when I've seen him, especially considering his age. However, there are dozens of players that look poised, confident, and talented in the Championship who would be devoured in the Premier League. It's the same concept (although bigger gap) with our youth teams. This is the point. You can't judge a players' ability until he plays at a high level. Teams like Chelsea can't afford to bring young players along and nourish them while they make mistakes as they adjust to the new league (which they all will). We need players who are already quality and have proven it at a top level.

So until he's played in the Champions League, we shouldn't take a risk on him? You say there are dozens of players who look a poised and talented as him - name 3.

No offence, but your view on our youth is what I hate about modern football. We're a family and these young kids WILL make mistakes but we'll support them because that's what families do. You'd rather go out and spend £50 million on someone guaranteed to make no mistakes (which doesn't actually happen) when we have to change our mindset and start putting faith in these talented youngsters.

The supporters of Chelsea Football Club have always supported (or nourished) young kids when they make mistakes adjusting to the first-team.