Blues beat Sparta - but not exactly a walk in the Prague...

BlueLion.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have the squad....but not with these extra games. How many points have we dropped in midweek games because we've look underprepared or tired?

Either way, surely we should be playing the percentages and focusing on what's important. People say we'd be acting like Arsenal to accept just a top-four spot but this season has been a clusterfuck of epic proportions and if you offered me third spot and nothing else I'd take it in a heartbeat, so why don't we simply focus on the league and ignore this competition?

Oh right, because of a coefficient which you readily admit pertains to a competition that is becoming more competitive across the boad. Well the FACT is that to be the best you have to beat the best.

But first you have to play the best and that should be our only focus this season.

So we wait until we're in a tough spot before acting? It should be reserves from this point on. Ferreira, Saville, Ake, Turnbull, Bertrand, Benayoun etc.

No, we wait to see how things unfold. If we start dropping points to lesser teams or getting closer to lose our 3rd or 4th place we drop it. We can't just quit Europa League without even trying. It might be the biggest title we can win this season. For now I'd use mixed teams resting our key players after half time or something like that. Then if we reach semi-finals and are sitting comfortable in 3rd or 4th place we go all for it.

You recognise the reality of the situation and act accordingly.

Let's walk through this slowly.

Do you accept that top four is all that matters this season? I do.

Do you think we're best prepared to play Fulham with a week's rest or 3 days?

Do you think we're best prepared to play West Ham with a week's rest or 3 days?

Do you think we're best prepared to play Sunderland with a week's rest or 3 days?

Do you think we're best prepared to play Spurs with a week's rest or 3 days?

Do you think we're best prepared to play Swansea with a week's rest or 3 days?

Do you think we're best prepared to play Man United with a week's rest or 3 days?

Do you think we're best prepared to play Villa with a week's rest or 3 days?

Do you think we're best prepared to play Everton with a week's rest or 3 days?

Now some of these might not be a week because of Cup games and others being rescheduled, but if more than half of those answers were 'YES' then maybe we should recognise that the Europa League is nothing more than an inconvenience and that the long-term future of this club is best served by Champions League qualification and not the Europa League, shiny trophy that it may well be.

Are you stupid or just dumb?

We have a squad that can be rotated. Each player will have its own time to rest. In one week it will be Hacard, then Mata, then Lampard, Azipilicueta, Cole, etc. The players (with today's technology) can easily play 2 games in one week and then only one game in the next, etc; it wont be a problem.

We will win (or should) against Fulham, West Ham, Sunderland, Swansea, Villa and Everton even with a game in midweek. Also, it is not like we will win if we drop EL and FA Cup or we wont if we continue...

We must treat it with respect (for all the reasons Alex posted) and analyse it as things go. Are we 10-12 points above the fifth team? Then play a mixed or starting team. Are we only 1-2 points ahead Spuds and Arse? Then play Ferreira, Ake, Turnbull, Benayoon, etc.

Are you stupid or just dumb?

We have a squad that can be rotated. Each player will have its own time to rest. In one week it will be Hacard, then Mata, then Lampard, Azipilicueta, Cole, etc. The players (with today's technology) can easily play 2 games in one week and then only one game in the next, etc; it wont be a slight problem.

We will win (or should) against Fulham, West Ham, Sunderland, Swansea, Villa and Everton with a game in midweek. Also, it is not like we will win without EL nd FA Cup and we will lose with them...

Neither. I'm just a Chelsea supporter trying to be realistic about the situation we'll face. You're the one saying we'll win (or should) against teams not dissimilar from Southampton, Reading and QPR. Shouldn't we have won those games as well?

In fact do you know teams who are quite similar to Fulham, West Hame and Swansea? Fulham, West Ham and Swansea. We've failed to beat these teams FIVE times already this season. So before you get into what we should have done, why don't you try looking at what we have done. Ignore the naive fantasy you're living in and look at the reality, okay?

:wank2:

Neither. I'm just a Chelsea supporter trying to be realistic about the situation we'll face. You're the one saying we'll win (or should) against teams not dissimilar from Southampton, Reading and QPR. Shouldn't we have won those games as well?

In fact do you know teams who are quite similar to Fulham, West Hame and Swansea? Fulham, West Ham and Swansea. We've failed to beat these teams FIVE times already this season. So before you get into what we should have done, why don't you try looking at what we have done. Ignore the naive fantasy you're living in and look at the reality, okay?

Yes we should, but it was not because we played midweek, lol.

As I said, definetly dumb or stupid...

The reality is we don't even know if we'll have to beat those teams. If Arsenal and Tottenham drop points we may be able to afford losing more than a couple of those games. And chances are we'll do better than before, since now we have Ba. And if Torres plays all UEL games, chances are Ba will be playing more in EPL. I can't see why not give it a try.

No, we wait to see how things unfold. If we start dropping points to lesser teams or getting closer to lose our 3rd or 4th place we drop it. We can't just quit Europa League without even trying. It might be the biggest title we can win this season. For now I'd use mixed teams resting our key players after half time or something like that. Then if we reach semi-finals and are sitting comfortable in 3rd or 4th place we go all for it.

If we start dropping points, then we're in danger of losing our top-four spot. Arsenal are only 5 points behind whilst Spurs are 1 point behind. We draw a game and we're in trouble, that's how serious the situation is right now.

I know that the people disagreeing with me are well-intentioned and respectful (in the majority) but pragmatism in a tough situation is not a bad thing. Going without a trophy for one season to secure greater opportunities next season isn't a bad thing. It's possible that we could finish top four and win this trophy, and I'd be happy if we did but you have to play the percentages and acknowledge not just what is possible but what is likely from what has occurred before.

Yes we're Chelsea, but we're Chelsea 2013 not Chelsea 2006. Losing at home to QPR is something that can happen now. Throwing away 2 goal leads is something we're capable of doing now. This is who we are at this moment in time. You need to start from a position where you acknowledge these basic facts before you plan anything else.

The reality is we don't even know if we'll have to beat those teams. If Arsenal and Tottenham drop points we may be able to afford losing more than a couple of those games. And chances are we'll do better than before, since now we have Ba. And if Torres plays all UEL games, chances are Ba will be playing more in EPL. I can't see why not give it a try.

Because he doesnt like the competition (and neither do I) and he thinks he must have his wishes pleased...

I am fine with this crying of his because I know Benitez wont put a team full reserves. He will be the one moaning all the time.

As I said: "We have a squad that can be rotated. Each player will have its own time to rest. In one week it will be Hacard, then Mata, then Lampard, Azipilicueta, Cole, etc. The players (with today's technology) can easily play 2 games in one week and then only one game in the next, etc; it wont be a problem." and "We must treat it with respect (for all the reasons Alex posted) and analyse it as things go. Are we 10-12 points above the fifth team? Then play a mixed or starting team. Are we only 1-2 points ahead Spuds and Arse? Then play Ferreira, Ake, Turnbull, Benayoon, etc."

The situation changes week by week and it must be reviewed week by week (as we are suggesting). Our third/fourth spot (atm) isnt in risk and because of that we can play EL and FA Cup, if it is not 2 weeks from now, just drop them. There is no need to give up right now...

Yes we should, but it was not because we played midweek, lol.

As I said, definetly dumb or stupid...

Dumb and stupid are synonyms in the sense that you're using them in. It's amazing how you seem struck-dumb when I ask you whether we'd be better prepared for tough league games without the pressures of midweek Europa League games.

If you want to hurt me with insults though, I'd ask someone else to use them on your behalf. They mean nothing coming from you.

Dumb and stupid are synonyms in the sense that you're using them in. It's amazing how you seem struck-dumb when I ask you whether we'd be better prepared for tough league games without the pressures of midweek Europa League games.

If you want to hurt me with insults though, I'd ask someone else to use them on your behalf. They mean nothing coming from you.

No they dont, look them up and you will see the difference....

LOL, they mean nothing and you bother to reply still. :lol:

If Arsenal and Tottenham drop points.....

Do you think it's a sensible policy to plan for our future on these grounds?

To be quite honest, I'm surprised that this is such a 'controversial' point of view. Most supporters I know see the Europa League as a joke and just want this season over with us securing our Champions League spot for next season.

I get your point @The only place to be. I just think you're underestimating us a bit.

Our competitors are just as likely to drop points as we are, if not more so, since they're lower in the table. And I just don't think a mixed team in EL will have a big impact to that. But if the times comes when every little point is important to us come, we drop it. But I don't believe it will come to that.

If Arsenal and Tottenham drop points.....

Do you think it's a sensible policy to plan for our future on these grounds?

To be quite honest, I'm surprised that this is such a 'controversial' point of view. Most supporters I know see the Europa League as a joke and just want this season over with us securing our Champions League spot for next season.

IT IS NOT A PLAN DUMBASS!

He is saying we have to see how things develop and if they get ugly, we just leave the competition. Otherwise we go for it!

Weird, it is a joke of a competition (and I completely agree), but getting knocked-out of it instead of winning it, isnt...

No they dont, look them up and you will see the difference....

LOL, they mean nothing and you bother to reply still. :lol:

In the sense you're using them, they're broadly synonymous although as I pointed out completely meaningless coming from a 'fan' like you.

I get your point @The only place to be. I just think you're underestimating us a bit.

Our competitors are just as likely to drop points as we are, if not more so, since they're lower in the table. And I just don't think a mixed team in EL will have a big impact to that. But if the times comes when every little point is important to us come, we drop it. But I don't believe it will come to that.

If you actually look at the form guide, Spurs are slightly better than us in the last 6 whilst Arsenal are 1 point worse than us.

Contrary to what some might believe, I'm not totally against this trophy. It's a bit of a joke but it'd be nice to win under normal circumstances. However in the situation we're in at the moment and with the problems we've shown over the last few months I'd focus everything on the league. It's what's best for this club long-term in my opinion.

If you actually look at the form guide, Spurs are slightly better than us in the last 6 whilst Arsenal are 1 point worse than us.

Contrary to what some might believe, I'm not totally against this trophy. It's a bit of a joke but it'd be nice to win under normal circumstances. However in the situation we're in at the moment and with the problems we've shown over the last few months I'd focus everything on the league. It's what's best for this club long-term in my opinion.

One is slightly better and one is slightly worse. As I said, they're about as likely to drop points as we are. And Arsenal is in UCL still, they're surely not dropping it, so their players will be wasted even more than ours if we go mixed teams. Tottenham has UEL games too, as far as we know, they might go for it, so things may or may not balance out, we'll have to see. I wouldn't dismiss EL for now.