A Breakdown Of Our Current Problems

Rmpr

Things aren't looking very good for Chelsea FC. We have gone from the glory of Munich, to losing three finals, one semi-final, being on the verge of missing out on UCL qualification and already substantially behind in the EPL title race.

What must we do to go back on track and revive our best years? What and where are the problems?

I can see four major problems in our club. Being realistic, every club has its problems, but these are key issues for Chelsea Football Club!

1 - Roman Abramovich

He is too intense, but it is his personality. Not really a problem or anything, but impulsive people tend to do crazy stuff from time to time - like spending £50 million on a certain striker. He should back off a little, give more time so things can develop. However, that is super hard to do, specially when you are an extremely powerful man who has a 1 billion dollar investment. Some people cant even let go of their puppies, how can Roman switch off from something this big?

It is similar to hiring an architecture/interior designer, but in a much, much larger scale. it is not very pleasant to hear you cant do a blue wall (because it does not fit) but you still got to pay for a red one (because someone told you to). One pays for everything but still cant do anything of what he imagined. It is the owner's money, but the employee's ideas. It truly isn't an easy task, it is hard to accept your ideas or way of doing things aren't the best for "YOUR" club.

With that in mind, I think the answer lies on him being much better advised. He needs someone he can fully trust, but that knows football. With Hiddink retiring, he could very well be that missing link. They are very good friends and Abramovich listens to him (from what we know). Guus has a superior football knowledge than 99% of the population and Roman can vastly benefit from it. This would make him re-think before sacking, buying, etc.

I could have suggested a bunch of other good names (Zola), but I cant see Roman listening to anyone other than Guus Hiddink. It makes no sense to have a football advisor if he ask for apples and you bring oranges.

Overall, he would still be closely in touch with what happens in CFC, but would have a less aggressive impact on football matters. Issues like managers, transfers and Cobham visits would be more carefully treated. In one word, we would have more stability.

Don't get me wrong, I love the man. He has done a lot for us and he does seem to care. He has a son who is clearly a fan (just look at his expression at Munich) and he gives us the most important thing a owner can give - financial stability Nevertheless, those mistakes/problems stated above must be taken care of…

2 - Board

I will start by saying I have no inside scoop and all my arguments come from my observations and personal point of view. I could be (and most probably am) terribly wrong.

The club hierarchy is a total mess! I feel there is lack of communication and people have no idea to whom they must report to. No one knows if they should talk to Gourlay, Buck or Roman himself. Some unimportant matters are given so much focus while really big issues are left aside. I honestly believe the lack of "voice" or "respect" the fans complain comes from the board and not the owner. Abramovich will be the same cold czar he has always been. The executives are the real ones responsible for connecting the club with the fans, but they are going in the opposite direction. It is not all poo-poo though, we do have a top marketing and financial department, but the most critical aspect for a football club are problematic (to say the least).

We must eliminate the incompetent and create a decent power structure. We need to hire a fully professional CEO, one that has nothing to do with football but rocks at making decisions and managing people. He must have some power and saying at Chelsea, he must be "THE GUY" for when Roman isn't there. Enough with the puppets! We should be run like a real company, where people are good at their specific roles and don't interfere in someone else's job. A place with rules and consequences. Chelsea must be a club where decent people work and not some circus where all members of the board compete to see who is better at pleasing Roman.

I know I am making it sound simple, but it is actually really hard. Finding a great director is hard enough, imagine trying to restructure a whole club…

Even Brazilian clubs already started doing it (and when I say that, it means we should be ashamed).

What I ultimately expect from all of this is a much more transparent CFC. I believe the fans will be treated better, the media will start respecting us and there wont be Clattenburg cases flying around. This is all happening because Bruce Buck, Ron Gourlay and Michael Emenalo are worried in making the Russian smile instead of searching for solutions that will make our club bigger.

3 - Fans

I will be brief, I don't think there is a problem or anything, the board argument just got too big, so I am writing it separately!

We must stick together to voice our opinion (exactly like we did with Rafa). We must let the world know we are not satisfied with out Directors, Chairman and CEO. If we want to have some sort of saying, we must earn it. The respect wont come easily, we will have to fight for it. Most of our fans (specially locals) are feeling completely mistreated and distant and the main fault belongs to BB and RG. They are ruining our passion for the club (in a extend) and this is unacceptable. They cant treat Chelsea supporters like trash and make fun of our beloved club. It is our job not to let this get any worse.

I ultimately think we should create a fan trust so we can organise ourselves. Different small groups of people trying to do something on their own wont help it, we have to be united (argh!!!). But this is for another day...

4 - Staff

No need to say we have a really good training facility, academy and backroom staff. The problem lies in the main centrepiece...

I can't express my hate towards Benitez. I wont prolong myself either. I could write 1 thousand more words about him, but everything is just there at his thread. I will just say he has no dignity (for all the things he said in the past), he has no proud (he is only using us to revamp his career) and he has no tactical ability (stupid changes and line-ups). The worst problem of it all is the absolutely zero connection and respect with the squad (at the moment, this is by far our biggest downside). We cant have someone who isn't with his head in the club and cant get his team to believe in his project, there is no way this was going to work. He ain't a Chelsea man and will never be! #RAFA OUT!!!

I do want to point out the one who chose him has as much blame as Benitez though!

Just appoint any decent respectful manager and stick with the guy for at least 2-3 years. He will need support and time…

5 - Players

We have a thin unprepared squad and that is not a secret. We need depth, leadership and quality in almost every area of the field. Some can even make the case we need as much as a centre-half, holding midfielder, a centre-midfielder, a wideman and another forward. This is easily another £100m...

We have a totally unbalanced squad: players past their prime or waiting to achieve it. Where are the 24-28 yo big time players for the present?

Despite all the issues, we are still under-performing. Some new players are disappointing, like Oscar, (although I wouldn't agree with that - ed.) and some big leaders just don't have the legs they once had (JT, and Lampard). Things like Reading and Corinthians are not supposed to happen, ever. It is one thing to lose games because you have a bad striker or a bad defence (despite having created many chances) and it is totally another to spot flaws all over the pitch. I see a bunch of millionaires that aren't fully focused. This is beyond bad tactics and substitutions, it is lack of effort and courage. There are very few players deserving their wages, the rest is all making mistakes every other game…

Let me be clear. I am not saying all the players are particularly poor or anything similar. I am just saying that regardless of the manager and directors, they are playing bellow their average level.

In resume, just buy players for the present and make the ones that are already here have more commitment!

So, after all this merry go round, I wanted to say I am not too bothered with where the problems all started. Roman has his problems, The Board has even bigger ones, Benitez is beyond belief, our Squad lacks quality and depth, etc. No matter what the source is, we must fix all the problems we have right now. We must start from top to bottom. If we fix the staff/players, the results will come quick and we will lose focus to correct the other part. It is way more painful to let the team in a second plan, but if we fix the team and nothing else, I will be writing this same post 10 years from now.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... my view on your views ;)

5. Players

I think we actually have a big squad of players - with some real gems in there... We need to polish and transition them into the first team. Look at Swansea / Reading / Wigan / Southampton - hardly any of their players would get in the current CFC team, but they have skill, passion, commitment and desire. They also have a clear playing style, methodology and conistent training. They are hard teams to beat as UTD, City and We found out. (Wigan excepted, but 4-1 could have easily been 2-2)

So - we need our 200million loanee's back in the summer - somebody (ideally Manager + Tech Director) need to sit down and realisitically evaluate who is going to get game time, which formation(s) - I prefer 2 types of formation, way too one dimensional without - we want to play and which personnel will achive this. We should then blood the players in the first team. Those that need more time should be given another loan spell. Those that have had 3 or more loan spells that are not able to cut it at CFC need to be transfer listed.

In all honesty, if we had a manager that was liked and we were winning games - Abramovich, The Board and everything else wouldn't be mentioned.

Ok... my view on your views ;)

5. Players

I think we actually have a big squad of players - with some real gems in there... We need to polish and transition them into the first team. Look at Swansea / Reading / Wigan / Southampton - hardly any of their players would get in the current CFC team, but they have skill, passion, commitment and desire. They also have a clear playing style, methodology and conistent training. They are hard teams to beat as UTD, City and We found out. (Wigan excepted, but 4-1 could have easily been 2-2)

So - we need our 200million loanee's back in the summer - somebody (ideally Manager + Tech Director) need to sit down and realisitically evaluate who is going to get game time, which formation(s) - I prefer 2 types of formation, way too one dimensional without - we want to play and which personnel will achive this. We should then blood the players in the first team. Those that need more time should be given another loan spell. Those that have had 3 or more loan spells that are not able to cut it at CFC need to be transfer listed.

In all honesty, if we had a manager that was liked and we were winning games - Abramovich, The Board and everything else wouldn't be mentioned.

Yes, but a mangaer is needed in other to do all of this!

Also, like I said in the end: "If we fix the staff/players, the results will come quick and we will lose focus to correct the other part. It is way more painful to let the team in a second plan, but if we fix the team and nothing else, I will be writing this same post 10 years from now"

Yes, but a mangaer is needed in other to do all of this!

Also, like I said in the end: "If we fix the staff/players, the results will come quick and we will lose focus to correct the other part. It is way more painful to let the team in a second plan, but if we fix the team and nothing else, I will be writing this same post 10 years from now"

But you cannot fix a team without a Manager - that was the whole point of my post...?

What exactly needs to change in the Board to make the team play better? Nothing - why? Because it has no 'direct causal' effect on the players. BUT the Board did appoint Benitez - so they do have an influence, but only in one area the Manager.

The Managers responsibility is to use the resources at his/her disposal to produce the goods - if they are incapable of doing this, then they need to be replaced by someone competent.

So it's a top down / bottom up problem IF THE WRONG MANAGER IS SELECTED - however, when a NEW manager comes in and the players are doing well - there is no need to change the Board as they have fulfilled their requirement...

Makes sense to me - but quite a hard thing to describe ;)

But you cannot fix a team without a Manager - that was the whole point of my post...?

What exactly needs to change in the Board to make the team play better? Nothing - why? Because it has no 'direct causal' effect on the players. BUT the Board did appoint Benitez - so they do have an influence, but only in one area the Manager.

The Managers responsibility is to use the resources at his/her disposal to produce the goods - if they are incapable of doing this, then they need to be replaced by someone competent.

So it's a top down / bottom up problem IF THE WRONG MANAGER IS SELECTED - however, when a NEW manager comes in and the players are doing well - there is no need to change the Board as they have fulfilled their requirement...

Makes sense to me - but quite a hard thing to describe ;)

No, it does make sense.

Fixing the Board has nothing to do with fixing the team. I am not satisfied with only the team playing great, I (and everyone here) want more than that.

I love CFC, not only the players, everything matters...

No, it does make sense.

Fixing the Board has nothing to do with fixing the team. I am not satisfied with only the team playing great, I (and everyone here) want more than that.

I love CFC, not only the players, everything matters...

But what needs fixing at Board level?

Revenues = Good

Past Managerial Appointments = Good

They made 1 mistake in appointing FSW - and now they need to go?

I do think Emanelo could be a position that Ray Wilkins would be best served to fill... BUT - I only have hearsay and rumours...

I've not yet seen a comprehensive plan on what exactly needs to change and why.

I'm not disagreeing with you - just asking for some more 'details' ;)

But what needs fixing at Board level?

Revenues = Good

Past Managerial Appointments = Good

They made 1 mistake in appointing FSW - and now they need to go?

I do think Emanelo could be a position that Ray Wilkins would be best served to fill... BUT - I only have hearsay and rumours...

I've not yet seen a comprehensive plan on what exactly needs to change and why.

I'm not disagreeing with you - just asking for some more 'details' ;)

Mate, I explained it all in the article!

You are viewing it as football issues only. It is not about that, the Board has many jobs on top of the football aspects they already have...

I am criticizing the structure of our club and the lack of competence in them, I never said it was solely because of football problems.

I tried to give an idea of what it should be done, if I new the exact perfect answer I wouldnt be saying it here, I would email CFC!

Mate, I explained it all in the article!

You are viewing it as football issues only. It is not about that, the Board has many jobs on top of the football aspects they already have...

I am criticizing the structure of our club and the lack of competence in them, I never said it was solely because of football problems.

I tried to give an idea of what it should be done, if I new the exact perfect answer I wouldnt be saying it here, I would email CFC!

Yup.. I get that... but what I'm trying to say is, pre-Benitez appointment - the Board were 'according to most' doing a great job?

In terms of finances we're doing the best we ever have...

You say we need a 'decision maker' - but the only person that can 'empower' somebody else is Roman... If he doesn't do that - then it doesn't matter who we appoint as CEO... nothing will change...?

What exactly do you think Ron Gourlay has done wrong in terms of the remit of his role? Do you have a problem with the commercial deals he's put in place or the role he's played in the stadium issue?

Are you unhappy with the part he played in our recent finances?

What makes you think that 'people' don't know who they should report to? Why do you not criticise David Barnard in his role as club secretary? In fact why does David Barnard always get a free pass on criticism (not that I'm saying he should be criticised)?

Yup.. I get that... but what I'm trying to say is, pre-Benitez appointment - the Board were 'according to most' doing a great job?

In terms of finances we're doing the best we ever have...

You say we need a 'decision maker' - but the only person that can 'empower' somebody else is Roman... If he doesn't do that - then it doesn't matter who we appoint as CEO... nothing will change...?

No, not in pratical terms.

But I did say we are doing a fantastic job on the financial and marketing side of it..."It is not all poo-poo though, we do have a top marketing and financial department"

Good and honest opinion which is pretty true!

Best thing of us to happen was an ambitious owner but then that ambitious is probably bringing the downfall too ...

Solution of the entire chaos is that the Board gets in a new manager which needs to be given power rather used as puppet, the new manager needs to be given time and not target to met ... give him a free run for a season and let him built a squad which is unbeatable .... And then sky is the limit!

• 2 weeks later...

Smashing article. I found out loads from it!

I was just wondering how u found out that the board has miscommunication and what makes u think this way?

What exactly is the role of Ron Gourlay, Bruce Buck and Emanelo? What is the difference between these 3 and Abramovich? And why do people call Roman the 'axe man' since don't Gourlay and Buck have a role in the sackings?

Smashing article. I found out loads from it!

I was just wondering how u found out that the board has miscommunication and what makes u think this way?

What exactly is the role of Ron Gourlay, Bruce Buck and Emanelo? What is the difference between these 3 and Abramovich? And why do people call Roman the 'axe man' since don't Gourlay and Buck have a role in the sackings?

This:

I will start by saying I have no inside scoop and all my arguments come from my observations and personal point of view. I could be (and most probably am) terribly wrong.