Are we going to finish in the top 4? - Achieved!

Styles

Will we finish in the top 4?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Will we finish in the top 4?

Would missing out on the Top Four be the worst thing in the world? It might actually give us a chance to stop and breathe for a moment, rather than continuing this relentless assault on the Champions League. I've said it before, but last year's win papered over a lot of cracks.

One could easily argue that we haven't been running this club properly for a number of years, keeping the ship together with duct tape rather than rebuilding it from the hull up. We finished sixth in the league last season and that was about right, but maybe this summer is the right time to blow it up and build something brand new.

We've started doing the right things in the transfer market and we're moving towards a point where youth team graduates could slot into the team. Missing out on the CL might actually force us to build something long-term rather than patch a broken system up and go again. We might even enjoy watching the games again (wouldn't that be nice?).

I'll admit I'm looking for silver linings in a very dark cloud, but sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can do the right things in future.

Hmm would end our interest in Falcao/Cavanni... Which wouldn't be a bad thing, just as long as we are aware of the consequences.

Also this season end sees the new TV money, which should off-set any CL loss in revenue... If we do manage 4th - will help our P&L significantly :)

TBH - as long as we get our identity back, play 'Winning' football - I don't care what happens... I saw a post on another site where we had 2 FULL TEAMS OF LOANEES!!! We need to get them ALL back, assess and get a decent squad built. Those that are borderline, 1 more loan season then keep or out... But FUCK ME 23 players on loan! A new kind of madness!!!!

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, I couldn't give a flying fuck if Falcao doesn't join us. Great player, but we've spent big in the past and been disappointed. We already have Lukaku showing he can do it in the Premier League, as well as Ba and possibly Feruz.

Dont pretend to be stupid, it was a mere example...

But I get your point. The financial loss would be mitigated by the increased TV revenue for the Premier League and I'm not sure how damaging one year out of the CL limelight would be. I also think that any manager we hire would be given more time simply because the bar would be slightly lower.

The more I think about the possibility of this happening, the more cathartic I think it might be for everyone at the club. Sometimes you really need to clear the decks and re-assess exactly what it is you're doing.

The TV revenue will increase no matter what, this is not an argument. Finishing 4th will bring about 20-30million pounds more to the club, that is immense!

Also, I dont see why we cant make a decent analysis of the season even with the team finishing in 4th or 3rd place. I mean, Roman can see what is going on with Chelsea just like we do. He is not dumb to the point where he cant grasp something is wrong no matter what position we are in. For me, you are focusing too much on the meaning of 5th or 4th spot.

He knows much more about the club than we do. He knows where he fucked up and what he has to do to fix it. It is not like he just opens his iPhone and sees the league table...

Not qualifying for UCL is one of the worst things that could happen for our next season plans...

What's this with the new tv revenue?

The domestic and international rights for the EPL were recently re-negotiated at a massive increase.

Hence why QPhaha et al are buying big, because just staying in the league I.e last place before relegation is rumoured to be around £70million - cranking up to somewhere near £120million for the winners (pro rata in-between)

This is a 'windfall' effect...

So if we could get that extra TV money and CL spot, we could effectively neutralise last summers spending and with our players on loan (hopefully some paid for) - make a real profit >1 million this year...

Like I mentioned earlier we have 23 players on Loan... We don't NEED to buy anybody, we need to get these players back, assemble a squad and start playing football under a Decent Manager... Let the other clubs spend big, there's a potential Torres for every club ;)

If we do give the youngsters a chance, it will definitely improve morale around the team - I know the famous quote of 'experience and treachery beats youth and enthusiasm' - but I would love to see some 'enthusiasm' around here :)

The domestic and international rights for the EPL were recently re-negotiated at a massive increase.

Hence why QPhaha et al are buying big, because just staying in the league I.e last place before relegation is rumoured to be around £70million - cranking up to somewhere near £120million for the winners (pro rata in-between)

This is a 'windfall' effect...

So if we could get that extra TV money and CL spot, we could effectively neutralise last summers spending and with our players on loan (hopefully some paid for) - make a real profit >1 million this year...

Like I mentioned earlier we have 23 players on Loan... We don't NEED to buy anybody, we need to get these players back, assemble a squad and start playing football under a Decent Manager... Let the other clubs spend big, there's a potential Torres for every club ;)

If we do give the youngsters a chance, it will definitely improve morale around the team - I know the famous quote of 'experience and treachery beats youth and enthusiasm' - but I would love to see some 'enthusiasm' around here :)

agree surely out of 23 at least 5 are worthy of squad places ,,if not GET RID of whoever is recruiting them

The players are good enough, there's more than enough quality in the squad this season to finish in the top four. This is considering that the two Nth London teams have fallable squads and those red scousers are inconsistent. The squad may not be good enough next season, but that's another conversation.

What's lacking is obvious, leadership, tactics, motivation, belief - The majority of most of those come from the Manager, he sets the tactics and tone, the players we've got will know a good-un or a bad-un or in fact a wrong-un. My guess now is that they've come to their own conclusions and the motivation and belief is going. Hence a reason why we can't hold onto leads. they know the tactics are crap and a few are trying too hard to do to many things. Players play to a system set by the Manager, professionals are trained to follow the rules and the majority of time they'll do so.

Sometimes having the wrong man is worse than just having someone the team has some empathy with.

So in summary, we're good enough if we have the correct leadership - We've not got the latter so unless that changes soon and some belief is instilled I think we may be royally f****d.

I feel we'd have second sewn up by now if we hap ANYONE else in charge. City are bad this season to say the least and Joe Hart is an overrated joke.

If we get points off of City and Tottenham, I think we should be ok.

Bodes well that Defoe is out. Bale can't save them every time.

Rafa was told to concentrate on PL games. At least, that´s what I read.

If he plays squad players in Prague, rests starters Chelsea should be ready to challenge Citeh for second. However, they must win against Citeh on 24th.

If the club is smart they will write off the Europa League. It's an absolutely pointless waste of time and energy. I hope we get knocked out ASAP.

With Mikel and Moses hopefully back and settled by the time we face City we could give them a real game.

If we'd have beaten that god awful QPR, held on to that 2-0 lead against Reading, and not choked away the lead last week we'd be in 2nd and out of sight of Arse, Spuds, and Everton.

Those results will likely haunt us later on. I'd bite your hand off if you offered me 4th right now, even if it meant that fucking AVB and the one man team Spurs finished a spot above us.