Are we going to finish in the top 4? - Achieved!

Styles

Will we finish in the top 4?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Will we finish in the top 4?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would missing out on the Top Four be the worst thing in the world? It might actually give us a chance to stop and breathe for a moment, rather than continuing this relentless assault on the Champions League. I've said it before, but last year's win papered over a lot of cracks.

One could easily argue that we haven't been running this club properly for a number of years, keeping the ship together with duct tape rather than rebuilding it from the hull up. We finished sixth in the league last season and that was about right, but maybe this summer is the right time to blow it up and build something brand new.

We've started doing the right things in the transfer market and we're moving towards a point where youth team graduates could slot into the team. Missing out on the CL might actually force us to build something long-term rather than patch a broken system up and go again. We might even enjoy watching the games again (wouldn't that be nice?).

I'll admit I'm looking for silver linings in a very dark cloud, but sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can do the right things in future.

I get your point completely but I think the financial implications of finishing outside of the top 4 are too big to ignore especially with FFP becoming more of an issue (see Malaga - ed)

Would missing out on the Top Four be the worst thing in the world? It might actually give us a chance to stop and breathe for a moment, rather than continuing this relentless assault on the Champions League. I've said it before, but last year's win papered over a lot of cracks.

One could easily argue that we haven't been running this club properly for a number of years, keeping the ship together with duct tape rather than rebuilding it from the hull up. We finished sixth in the league last season and that was about right, but maybe this summer is the right time to blow it up and build something brand new.

We've started doing the right things in the transfer market and we're moving towards a point where youth team graduates could slot into the team. Missing out on the CL might actually force us to build something long-term rather than patch a broken system up and go again. We might even enjoy watching the games again (wouldn't that be nice?).

I'll admit I'm looking for silver linings in a very dark cloud, but sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can do the right things in future.

Financially it would be disaster but then again your last sentence sums it up. We have built our team around age and experience,hence the Pensioners. A model that was never self sufficient and youth-friendly. Time for a change, off with the driftwood. I get your point, but a bit hesitant with FFP kicking in.

I have long thought this but consider this. Last year we finished 6th and were way off the pace yet we fluked the Champions League and found ourselves in Europe once again. We were very close to having potentially lost millions and no longer having top players wanting to come to the club. Wouldn't that have forced the club into realising they can't allow that to happen again? Wouldn't they have smartened up and ensured that we wouldn't find ourselves in that position again? You would have thought so but here we are yet again. I'm afraid to think what will happen if we do miss out now.

Financially it would be disaster but then again your last sentence sums it up. We have built our team around age and experience,hence the Pensioners. A model that was never self sufficient and youth-friendly. Time for a change, off with the driftwood.

Financially it would be bad, but we'd have to count ourselves lucky that it would coincide with the new TV deal. That should mean we could keep hold of most of the big players but we'd have less to spend which might force us to use what we have already.

Maybe it's time to blow this team up.

When we have Hazard, Mikel, and Luiz back I'm sure we'll start doing a lot better than this. Our players are obviously burnt out now, they've played so many games. With more player to cycle with and fewer fixtures I'm sure we'll be top 4. We have a very thin squad (not really, they're just all out on loan) and with all the trophies we've been competing for, it has really hurt us.

Our starting 11 is definitely at least top 3, and with Ba in, probably top two.

I see where you are going, but the positive impacts dont cover the huge amount of financial loss and worldwide image damage a 5th place would do.

Players might choose PSG or ManCity over us simply for the fact they will play on UCL (for instance). I really doubt Falcao would go to Chelsea if we dont qualify...

We've had a bad run of results but LOL at all the negativity and doomsday talk around here. I can imagine if we slip up to the 5th place, then probably talks about relegation will appear.

and if we beat Wigan you will probably think we are title contenders, Styles introduced a very realistic thread ...to be optimistic now woulld be like Captain Benitez on the Titanic ,,,,this ship could never sink.

I see where you are going, but the positive impacts dont cover the huge amount of financial loss and worldwide image damage a 5th place would do.

Players might choose PSG or ManCity over us simply for the fact they will play on UCL (for instance). I really doubt Falcao would go to Chelsea if we dont qualify...

Firstly, I couldn't give a flying fuck if Falcao doesn't join us. Great player, but we've spent big in the past and been disappointed. We already have Lukaku showing he can do it in the Premier League, as well as Ba and possibly Feruz.

But I get your point. The financial loss would be mitigated by the increased TV revenue for the Premier League and I'm not sure how damaging one year out of the CL limelight would be. I also think that any manager we hire would be given more time simply because the bar would be slightly lower.

The more I think about the possibility of this happening, the more cathartic I think it might be for everyone at the club. Sometimes you really need to clear the decks and re-assess exactly what it is you're doing.

No need for the negativity...I think top 4 is a near certainty, and I'm not sure Spurs will have the mental edge to squeeze past into 3rd place.

I'm not a big fan of Rafa either, but in his defence - he hasn't had some of the luxuries previous stand in managers have had. I've written a piece about it if anyone fancies a butchers - http://twobanksoffour.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/abramovichs-gamble-set-to-backfire-for-once/

I also think that if Brentford can be negotiated, there may still be the chance of a good Cup run, which considering the madness of the last 3 months, would be a positive.

After 60 mins or so in the game before the last one, we were 11 points ahead of Arsenal. Now its 5. We're fucked because we're a disgraceful gutless side with a shit manager. I now believe the top 4 will contain 2 teams from Manchester and 2 from scummy North London. 13 games to go including Tottenham at home, Everton at home, Liverpool away, Man Utd away, Man City away, we're in absolute shit street. Brace yourselves for a truly horrible end to the season.

And the likes of Wigan,West Ham etc joy....every games bloody tough way wer're playing and making things bad..there isnt a game now you think we can win that.Its just hope for the best....