Are we going to finish in the top 4? - Achieved!

Styles

Will we finish in the top 4?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Will we finish in the top 4?

I agree with your assumption but...who is going to do all that ?

As you know, I was & still am against some of those player loans.

I am afraid, there is no one at Chelsea who could help to rebuild the club. Will Roman fire some of those responsible for the current affairs ? That´s is the most important matter at the club, I feel.

We both know, money is no object, but proper management is.

I wouldn't be against him firing Buck. I've long said it would be brilliant if we could attract someone like Lord Coe to be chairman but a lot of what is wrong at this club was started with different people in charge. Hiring Kenyon again just to fire him wouldn't be worth it.

Management is the key area and if we don't have the pressures of CL football or the 'dressing room influence' of certain players then we could try a younger manager again, like Martinez or Laudrup.

That's something I don't understand as well, it isn't the end of the world if we manage outside the top 4, rather a step forward in transition, (given the right management that is,) to focus on the new spine and generation that is currently being developed.

Liverpool failed to do so due to failing to replace class players at the time. Torres (LAWL) for Carroll (Double Lawl), Alonso and Macherano for Henderson and John Joe Shevely, Aurelio for Enrique, Hypia for Skrtel, etc.

We have a bright generation of players with us as well as promising prospects in the academy, something Liverpool didn't have. As only place to be stated, Bayern were in a similar situation and produced top talents because of it.

Our board has successfully managed to focus on this aspect but has completely abandoned our current situation which has led us to this decline, stability+attacking Depth+Quality Central Midfielder

The Vast Possibilities of our Great Future Will Become Realities only if We make Ourselves responsible for that future.

This is kinda what I see. We're split between two different roads forward - the safe one where just qualifying for the CL is enough so you stick with older players in familiar roles, and the riskier one where you give untested youths (or even tested ones) a chance and try new things.

The reality is that the former isn't working too well right now.

In the summer, we all pretty much agree we need a new striker and midfielders. Now imagine if we don't get into the CL and people like Falcao or even Modric (outside bet I know) turn us down. What do we do? Maybe we look at less glamourous signings like Benat or Isco, or maybe we just look at what we already have and go forward with Lukaku, De Bruyne and Chalobah.

Rather than signing 27 year olds to gaffa tape a system together that doesn't work, we look to 20 year olds to build something new and sustainable? Then there's also precedent set for when Feruz and Boga start to come through the academy.

Yes we'd miss out on the money but the increase in PL tv revenue will cover part of that so maybe there isn't a better time to start the process.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be against him firing Buck. I've long said it would be brilliant if we could attract someone like Lord Coe to be chairman but a lot of what is wrong at this club was started with different people in charge. Hiring Kenyon again just to fire him wouldn't be worth it.

Management is the key area and if we don't have the pressures of CL football or the 'dressing room influence' of certain players then we could try a younger manager again, like Martinez or Laudrup.

This is kinda what I see. We're split between two different roads forward - the safe one where just qualifying for the CL is enough so you stick with older players in familiar roles, and the riskier one where you give untested youths (or even tested ones) a chance and try new things.

The reality is that the former isn't working too well right now.

In the summer, we all pretty much agree we need a new striker and midfielders. Now imagine if we don't get into the CL and people like Falcao or even Modric (outside bet I know) turn us down. What do we do? Maybe we look at less glamourous signings like Benat or Isco, or maybe we just look at what we already have and go forward with Lukaku, De Bruyne and Chalobah.

Rather than signing 27 year olds to gaffa tape a system together that doesn't work, we look to 20 year olds to build something new and sustainable? Then there's also precedent set for when Feruz and Boga start to come through the academy.

Yes we'd miss out on the money but the increase in PL tv revenue will cover part of that so maybe there isn't a better time to start the process.

I wholeheartedly agree with your choice of Martinez or Laudrup.

The club needs new & younger minds. Football became the world wide phenomena & new ideas are needed.

Roman´s money, new kids at the club is the only way to go, I feel.

At this rate if we don't make the top 4 Martinez or moyes will be the kind of managers who will want to come I cant see a manager with champions league football coming here so it's important for our summer transfers and to get a top manager next season so 3rd or 4th is a massive must!!

At this rate if we don't make the top 4 Martinez or moyes will be the kind of managers who will want to come I cant see a manager with champions league football coming here so it's important for our summer transfers and to get a top manager next season so 3rd or 4th is a massive must!!

But Champions League football hasn't done much to improve our managerial hirings in the past has it? The expectations are too high.

I believe that if we miss out in the CL we can still win the league next year. I think it gives us a clean break to reassess what we're doing and try and build a club properly.

I can't see Jose coming here to play in the Europa so we really need it. I still think we will. But it's far too close for comfort.

So we don't get Jose. So fucking what? If he loves the club then he comes back, if he doesn't then we move on.

This CL or nothing mentality is fucking us up as a club. It's been the reason for us to patch up this sinking ship rather than build something better for years.

Yes we won the Champions League last year, but we finished 6th in the league. There were at least 5 teams better than us in the league last year. There were 5 teams in England better at building a football club than us. We won a cup competition but lost a league by 25 POINTS.

25 POINTS.

TWENTY

FIVE

POINTS.

But Champions League football hasn't done much to improve our managerial hirings in the past has it? The expectations are too high.

I believe that if we miss out in the CL we can still win the league next year. I think it gives us a clean break to reassess what we're doing and try and build a club properly.

oh dear...this is the exact kind of stuff you would read on a Liverpool forum

delusional, naive

oh dear...this is the exact kind of stuff you would read on a Liverpool forum

delusional, naive

It's easy to say things like 'delusional' and 'naive' but backing them up is trickier.

We aren't Liverpool. We aren't Arsenal. We have a fantastic wealth of young talent and experienced players. Bayern missed out on the CL in 2007 and reassessed what they were doing. Why not compare us to them instead of Liverpool?

It's easy to say things like 'delusional' and 'naive' but backing them up is trickier.

We aren't Liverpool. We aren't Arsenal. We have a fantastic wealth of young talent and experienced players. Bayern missed out on the CL in 2007 and reassessed what they were doing. Why not compare us to them instead of Liverpool?

As they say, the only place to be....Chelsea playing in CL next year. Remember it.

So we don't get Jose. So fucking what? If he loves the club then he comes back, if he doesn't then we move on.

This CL or nothing mentality is fucking us up as a club. It's been the reason for us to patch up this sinking ship rather than build something better for years.

Yes we won the Champions League last year, but we finished 6th in the league. There were at least 5 teams better than us in the league last year. There were 5 teams in England better at building a football club than us. We won a cup competition but lost a league by 25 POINTS.

25 POINTS.

TWENTY

FIVE

POINTS.

The champions league or nothing mentality Is fucking us up? Wern't you the main advocate of not bothering in any competition to concentrate on the top 4.

And so what about Jose. Well he is one of the best managers in the world at the moment. I would take any manager for next season who is not Benitez. But I and i am sure many others would rather have Jose.

Edit: also what has the champions league got to do with building for the future. We have Lukaku KDB oscar hazard mata is still young, a whole array of youth talent (most of which won't make it but a few will) azpi courtois etc. That's what I would call building for the future.

As they say, the only place to be....Chelsea playing in CL next year. Remember it.

Actually the lyrics are 'The Only Place To Be Every Other Saturday Is Strollin' Down The Fulham Road'.

The Champions League is a great competition, but it isn't the be all and end all. Going to matches to have fun with your mates is what supporting this club is about - some people need to remember that, some people need to learn that.

This club doesn't cease to exist if we don't get CL football and to those who think it does, you won't be missed.

The champions league or nothing mentality Is fucking us up? Wern't you the main advocate of not bothering in any competition to concentrate on the top 4.

And so what about Jose. Well he is one of the best managers in the world at the moment. I would take any manager for next season who is not Benitez. But I and i am sure many others would rather have Jose.

Because I thought that the Top Four was a must. Part of me still does, but look at the club. We're a mess and sometimes you need to hit rock bottom to realise what you're actually doing to yourself. Maybe a year out of the CL gives us a chance to reflect on what we're doing and do it better.

I'd like Jose to come back, but first and foremost I want a manager who will build a better Chelsea. He isn't the only one who might be capable of that.

The doom-mongers and naysayers might say it would be disastrous, but it could be the making of us like it was for Bayern and Barca. I've seen those very same people throw this team under the bus at half-time during a match, only for us to win it. Most of them don't have a clue what this club actually is and have no investment in it beyond the start of next season.

But we have the makings of a great club, with a sustainable future. We just need the will to take that chance and sometimes you need circumstances to force you to take a different route rather than relying on yourself to do it.

Imagine going to a match next season and maybe not hearing that CL music, but seeing a team with Lukaku, Chalobah, De Bruyne, Cole and Mata lining up. Imagine going to a game excited to see the future on display, rather than consoling yourself with snippets of youth cup action on Chelsea TV. That to me is exciting.

Actually the lyrics are 'The Only Place To Be Every Other Saturday Is Strollin' Down The Fulham Road'.

The Champions League is a great competition, but it isn't the be all and end all. Going to matches to have fun with your mates is what supporting this club is about - some people need to remember that, some people need to learn that.

This club doesn't cease to exist if we don't get CL football and to those who think it does, you won't be missed.

Because I thought that the Top Four was a must. Part of me still does, but look at the club. We're a mess and sometimes you need to hit rock bottom to realise what you're actually doing to yourself. Maybe a year out of the CL gives us a chance to reflect on what we're doing and do it better.

I'd like Jose to come back, but first and foremost I want a manager who will build a better Chelsea. He isn't the only one who might be capable of that.

The doom-mongers and naysayers might say it would be disastrous, but it could be the making of us like it was for Bayern and Barca. I've seen those very same people throw this team under the bus at half-time during a match, only for us to win it. Most of them don't have a clue what this club actually is and have no investment in it beyond the start of next season.

But we have the makings of a great club, with a sustainable future. We just need the will to take that chance and sometimes you need circumstances to force you to take a different route rather than relying on yourself to do it.

Imagine going to a match next season and maybe not hearing that CL music, but seeing a team with Lukaku, Chalobah, De Bruyne, Cole and Mata lining up. Imagine going to a game excited to see the future on display, rather than consoling yourself with snippets of youth cup action on Chelsea TV. That to me is exciting.

Yeah but we already have that team... It would make me and probably any Chelsea fan excited to see that. So I can't see why that couldn't be done if we get champions league. I would assume whoever we decide to bring in will bring back KDB and Lukaku.

We have the squad for the future we just need to utilise it.

Of course, the club won´t cease to exist if CL competition is not available.

However, those who think it´s needed are the ones who better understand the future of the club. In with the young, out with the old, as already written here several times.

I wholeheartedly agree with your choice of Martinez or Laudrup.

The club needs new & younger minds. Football became the world wide phenomena & new ideas are needed.

Roman´s money, new kids at the club is the only way to go, I feel.

Don't see Laudrup joining Chelsea cause he wouldn't want to be sacked midway through the season like AvB & Di Matteo. Also, he's got a solid team at Swansea...Why would he jeopardize his career by joining Chelsea?

Martinez might be interested in a move to a bigger club after quite a few relegation battles with Wigan.

Don't see Laudrup joining Chelsea cause he wouldn't want to be sacked midway through the season like AvB & Di Matteo. Also, he's got a solid team at Swansea...Why would he jeopardize his career by joining Chelsea?

Martinez might be interested in a move to a bigger club after quite a few relegation battles with Wigan.

That´s exactly how I feel. Why would anyone want to join Chelsea & on top of it if Chelsea are not in CL next year as some folks indicated here as not a big deal, I believe Chelsea will have problems getting some respectable managers.