Stoke City 0-4 Chelsea

Jase

Man of the Match  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

That was not a great performance, what are you guys thinking?

It was a great result and I will happily accept it at any day. However, if it wasnt for Walters and a Given Penalty, comments wouldnt be so positive.

We allowed 53% possession to Stoke in the first half, even for an away game it is too much. Bertrand and Ramires were horrible, Mata wasnt being creative and we couldnt complete 4 conssecutive passes. The good about the half was that despite the fact we didnt have control of the game, we still managed to prevent dangerous plays from them. Our center-backs were amazing, always on time and clean (specially David Luiz, he was really good today). Lampard and Hazard were the only ones saving themselves from the midfield up, but still, Frank missed a clear chance and Hazard was alone in the creation. Walters really saved ours asses in the first 45min.

In the second half, things got better and we finally had some ball control. The game had turned around, but there was no really open chances. Chelsea had control of the game but it was Walters who played his part again, 2-0 and no goal from our own players. Only after that we started playing good football. Bertrand and Ramires clamed down, Mata had some freedom, Frank kept his solid game and Hazard started to shine. Then, Mata received a weird penalty (non-existent imo) that Lampard brialliantly converted. From now on the game was already won, Stoke was knocked-out and we kept pushing for another goal (which was great). Lampard had another missed one-on-one chance and Hazard had a magical shot from long range (by the way, first player to score from outside the box against Stoke this season). Terry cameback (huge smile on my face), but made a penalty on Walters and as a true CFC Fan, he isolated it. Nothing impressive: game sealed and a nice result.

Overall, it was a good game but not outstanding. I would understand some praise, but not this immensive positive vibe (half of the predictions prior to the game were for a draw). Luiz or Hazard for MOTM (not really, Walters would be the best option). Lampard was decent (above average) but he should have scored at least once from his chances (imagine if it was Torres)...

consider their home record unbeaten in 19 I think ... Think our defence did well in first half and in second half we played our football ,,Own goals were a result of great crosses and pressure. If you expect much

more than this away at Stoke I would say you are being unreasonable

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it wasn't a very impressive performace, but there were many positives. And the result itself was great of course.

BUT... they say a team that win even when not playing well is a great team.

I agree, I just don't like double standards.

If you go on some threads (Hazard, Luiz, Lampard, etc) you will see the same members saying shit before the game and praising afterwards...

consider their home record unbeaten in 19 I think ... Think our defence did well in first half and in second half we played our football ,,Own goals were a result of great crosses and pressure. If you expect much

more than this away at Stoke I would say you are being unreasonable

No, this was not what I said...

I said I don't get the immense praise our PERFORMANCE is getting, the RESULT was amazing.

I was expecting a hard 2-1 win with Ba scoring a double. 4-0 is more than I asked for, but I don't get the super positives posts I have seen. The same people doing it were moaning in the first 30min!

@Rmpr, what's this? Suffering from mood swings due to bad weather again?! :P

That was not a great performance, what are you guys thinking?

It was a great result and I will happily accept it at any day. However, if it wasnt for Walters and a Given Penalty, comments wouldnt be so positive.

Maybe it wasn't an overly brilliant performance but it was still a good one needed to beat Stoke at the fortress that is Britannia Stadium. And yes, while some may say we got lucky with the 2 own goals and getting penalty, we still gotta deliver the ball into the right positions to force someone making the mistake or score a goal.

We allowed 53% possession to Stoke in the first half, even for an away game it is too much. Bertrand and Ramires were horrible, Mata wasnt being creative and we couldnt complete 4 conssecutive passes. The good about the half was that despite the fact we didnt have control of the game, we still managed to prevent dangerous plays from them. Our center-backs were amazing, always on time and clean (specially David Luiz, he was really good today). Lampard and Hazard were the only ones saving themselves from the midfield up, but still, Frank missed a clear chance and Hazard was alone in the creation. Walters really saved ours asses in the first 45min

In the second half, things got better and we finally had some ball control. The game had turned around, but there was no really open chances. Chelsea had control of the game but it was Walters who played his part again, 2-0 and no goal from our own players. Only after that we started playing good football. Bertrand and Ramires clamed down, Mata had some freedom, Frank kept his solid game and Hazard started to shine. Then, Mata received a weird penalty (non-existent imo) that Lampard brialliantly converted. From now on the game was already won, Stoke was knocked-out and we kept pushing for another goal (which is great). Lampard had another missed open chance and Hazard had a magical shot from long range (by the way, first player to score from outside the box against Stoke this season). Terry cameback (huge smile on my face), but made a penalty on Walters and as a true CFC Fan, he isolated it. Nothing impressive: game sealed and a nice result.

Overall, it was a good game but not outstanding. I would understand some praise, but not this immensive positive vibe (half of the predictions prior to the game were for a draw). Luiz or Hazard for MOTM (not really, Walters would be the best option). Lampard was decent (above average) but he should have scored at least once from his chances (imagine if it was Torres)...

Doesn't matter if Stoke had 53% possession. What matters most is what you do with it. Yes, they may have put us under some pressure in the opening 20 minutes or so but they didn't create any clear cut chances. The only really good chance they had was the one Jones shot just wide early on and that was it for Stoke. All the other chances they had was from headers which we dealt with is nicely and shots from distance. We looked the more threatening side going forward passing the ball around them and creating some great chances.

You said if it wasn't for Walters and us getting the penalty, the result would have been different. Well, I could easily say the same with if it wasn't for Begovic making those saves, we would probably still have scored first and go on to win the game.

I agree, I just don't like double standards.

If you go on some threads (Hazard, Luiz, Lampard, etc) you will see the same members saying shit before the game and praising afterwards...

Oh trust me, I've had quite a few rants about double standards on here. :P There's nothing I hate more, so I'm with you there brother!

@Rmpr, what's this? Suffering from mood swings due to bad weather again?! :P

Maybe it wasn't an overly brilliant performance but it was still a good one needed to beat Stoke at the fortress that is Britannia Stadium. And yes, while some may say we got lucky with the 2 own goals and getting penalty, we still gotta deliver the ball into the right positions to force someone making the mistake or score a goal.

Doesn't matter if Stoke had 53% possession. What matters most is what you do with it. Yes, they may have put us under some pressure in the opening 20 minutes or so but they didn't create any clear cut chances. The only really good chance they had was the one Jones shot just wide early on and that was it for Stoke. All the other chances they had was from headers which we dealt with is nicely and shots from distance. We looked the more threatening side going forward passing the ball around them and creating some great chances.

You said if it wasn't for Walters and us getting the penalty, the result would have been different. Well, I could easily say the same with if it wasn't for Begovic making those saves, we would probably still have scored first and go on to win the game.

1. We only have cloudy days once every ten years (not true), we are not London! :clown:

2. I wrote this complaining about some posts I read that were saying we had an awesome game. If you think it wasnt an overly brilliant performance but a great and necessary result, we are in agreement.

3. I know possession does not translate to chances, but it is demonstrate it wasnt that great of a performance. I said this in the same post you quoted: "The good about the half was that despite the fact we didnt have control of the game, we still managed to prevent dangerous plays from them".

4. I did not say the result would have been different, I said the comments wouldnt be so positive. Gigantic difference....

I said I don't get the immense praise our PERFORMANCE is getting, the RESULT was amazing.

I was expecting a hard 2-1 win with Ba scoring a double. 4-0 is more than I asked for, but I don't get the super positives posts I have seen. The same people doing it were moaning in the first 30min!

I agree that our CB player super game, David luiz played as well as I have seen him play.

I think the performance was fine but it was shocking how much space and time our midfield had without any pressure. It was so easy to pass the ball around. I mean everybody know that our team cannot handle pressure, Tony pulis had an awful gameplan.

ps: I watched the game starting 10 minutes before halftime

4. I did not say the result would have been different, I said the comments wouldnt be so positive. Gigantic difference....

You said this...

However, if it wasnt for Walters and a Given Penalty, comments wouldnt be so positive.

Hence I replied with this...

Personally, I was sad to see Aston getting hammered by Chelsea but today I was rather pleased to see Stoke being humiliated.

Stoke are rough bunch of players. In the first half they pushed Chelsea around & the ref did nothing, I feel.

I agree that our CB player super game, David luiz played as well as I have seen him play.

I think the performance was fine but it was shocking how much space and time our midfield had without any pressure. It was so easy to pass the ball around. I mean everybody know that our team cannot handle pressure, Tony pulis had an awful gameplan.

Yeah, I mean, if only counted the second half, the performance would have been great. In the course of 90min it was good, nothing impressive.

Stoke always play like that. They don't want to open themselves up or risk getting caught so they sit back, stack up their own box and pressurize only in their own third. They invite pressure and play on counter attacks.

You said this...

Hence I replied with this...

But what does it have to do with me saying the comments wouldnt be so positive?

The goalkeeper is there to make saves, we cant play the "if he hadnt save" game. I can also make a case that Stoke missed a penalty and could have scored early on. We have to analyse and conclude based on what happened and not on what might have happened...

All I am saying is that people look at the result and jump to conclusions, either way too negative or way too positive. It does not work like that!

thats why I dont come on the forum DURING matches anymore ,,, In fact it is better to wait about 2 hours AFTER it has finished ,, I will restate thought the result Superb ,,,1st half defence Superb

second half Superb ...perhaps I am too easliy pleased ..but. I doubt if we will see Stoke dominated at home like that again this season