What Was The Most Absurd Appointment

Rafa or Avram?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What was the most absurd appointment?

The Grant appointment was always baffling because no-one really knew who he was. It was vindication of a lot of rivals who spouted shit about Roman picking the team and he's proved himself to be a pretty average manager. Strangely we still managed to reach a Champions League Final and only lost on penalties. It makes you wonder how good Robbie Di Matteo actually was considering he managed the same feat a few years later.

The Rafa appointment isn't baffling or absurd in the slightest. It actually makes a lot of sense from Roman's point of view when you look at his track record, his availability/the lack of other options and his relationship with Torres. Yes the fans hated him but Roman decided that he wouldn't make decisions based on that (which the Robbie hiring was) so he took a bit of short-term 'discomfort' until the guy he really wanted was available.

The Grant appointment was entirely understandable when considering who was advising Roman at the time, many were allies of Grant. Grant had made a name for himself in football by 'networking' and by limited achievements. Grant was/is a limited Manager/Coach but was smart enough not to muck around with a tried and tested formula for success.

To compare him taking a team to the CL Final in 2008 and RDM winning it this year is an unfair comparison, that 2008 team was superior in many aspects, better defensively, more powerful throughout the side, a better Lampard, Essien at or near his pomp, Ballack, a fitter JT. Di Matteo's achievement was vastly superior, including beating Munich in their back-yard.

Rafa will prove the most absurd to date. You go to games, you must know how the fans felt about him, his loyalty to the red side of Merseyside, I've no problem with his loyalty to them, just some of his comments and then expecting fans to think that's OK, it's just a bit of banter, I was only batting for my side, and then expect a few wins to change our deeply held dislike of them. Anyone appointed (well almost anyone) then would have had a hard time convincing the fans that they were the right person, his job is almost impossible and I have a real fear that there will be some longer lasting problems because of his appointment. His past achievements are long past and his record in the PL is far from good and to be honest anyone who'd wreck a team and it's spirit for Gareth Barry needs his head carefully looking at.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Grant appointment was entirely understandable when considering who was advising Roman at the time, many were allies of Grant. Grant had made a name for himself in football by 'networking' and by limited achievements. Grant was/is a limited Manager/Coach but was smart enough not to muck around with a tried and tested formula for success.

To compare him taking a team to the CL Final in 2008 and RDM winning it this year is an unfair comparison, that 2008 team was superior in many aspects, better defensively, more powerful throughout the side, a better Lampard, Essien at or near his pomp, Ballack, a fitter JT. Di Matteo's achievement was vastly superior, including beating Munich in their back-yard.

Rafa will prove the most absurd to date. You go to games, you must know how the fans felt about him, his loyalty to the red side of Merseyside, I've no problem with his loyalty to them, just some of his comments and then expecting fans to think that's OK, it's just a bit of banter, I was only batting for my side, and then expect a few wins to change our deeply held dislike of them. Anyone appointed (well almost anyone) then would have had a hard time convincing the fans that they were the right person, his job is almost impossible and I have a real fear that there will be some longer lasting problems because of his appointment. His past achievements are long past and his record in the PL is far from good and to be honest anyone who'd wreck a team and it's spirit for Gareth Barry needs his head carefully looking at.

Grant had his moments where he was booed by the crowd too. Think Arsenal at home, even though his changes actually worked.

My point about him is that he was seen as nothing but a puppet for Roman to pick the team through. The thing that him and Di Matteo had in common is that they both left the key players to do their own thing and in both instances they reverted to the type of tactics they'd been taught under Mourinho. Robbie's achievements were amazing, but we had a healthy dose of luck in the semis and the final.

The Rafa appointment makes a lot of sense in context. Yes he's hated by the fans but I think Roman's thinking was that he'd put a fan favourite in charge (full-time) less than 6 months earlier and he wasn't happy with the results. On paper, Benitez is a logical choice too. He was available short-term, he'd had experience of the Premier League and his achievements stack up pretty well against most managers. As a person to steady the ship for 6 months I think it makes more sense than the Grant appointment.

If Robbie had lost the final (like Grant) then Rafa would've been in here from the summer. One penalty goes in, one penalty misses and everything changes. Imagine if we'd won in Moscow and Grant was made manager full-time.

Grant had his moments where he was booed by the crowd too. Think Arsenal at home, even though his changes actually worked.

My point about him is that he was seen as nothing but a puppet for Roman to pick the team through. The thing that him and Di Matteo had in common is that they both left the key players to do their own thing and in both instances they reverted to the type of tactics they'd been taught under Mourinho. Robbie's achievements were amazing, but we had a healthy dose of luck in the semis and the final.

The Rafa appointment makes a lot of sense in context. Yes he's hated by the fans but I think Roman's thinking was that he'd put a fan favourite in charge (full-time) less than 6 months earlier and he wasn't happy with the results. On paper, Benitez is a logical choice too. He was available short-term, he'd had experience of the Premier League and his achievements stack up pretty well against most managers. As a person to steady the ship for 6 months I think it makes more sense than the Grant appointment.

If Robbie had lost the final (like Grant) then Rafa would've been in here from the summer. One penalty goes in, one penalty misses and everything changes. Imagine if we'd won in Moscow and Grant was made manager full-time.

No doubt that RDM had slice's of luck on the way to the CL win, I'd hold that Mourinho's Grant's team was the better overall side and that RDM's achievement was the better effort of the two. I would agree that Robbie winning the Final may have given Roman a predicament relating to the next Permanent appointment, Roman did what was understandable gave Robbie a two year deal, probably only wnating him for one year until probably PG became available - Good deal for Roman, no crap from the fans about not appointing Robbie and at the end of that first season either Robbie has success and stays or he doesn't and he's let go with the second year's money in his bank account.

There were some matters that probably caused Roman and the Board to act sooner than they wanted to, I'm afraid that the hostility to RB won't end and as well as what I believe to be a devisive management trait he has, you have a scenario where it's very easy for the players to become embroiled in it too as the fans make it easy for them to do so. That's why an "Anyone But Rafa" scenario may have been the best of a bad lot for us. I think it's an almost impossible job for him.

Tellingly for me, there's been no Press Conference with JT, Lampard or Cech with ringing endorsements for Rafa, the odd soundbyte Chelsea TV/Website acticle but nothing with a 'chest-beating' message. However I hope I'm way off the mark and all is well, but I have a nasty feeling we're in the mire with him.

No doubt that RDM had slice's of luck on the way to the CL win, I'd hold that Mourinho's Grant's team was the better overall side and that RDM's achievement was the better effort of the two. I would agree that Robbie winning the Final may have given Roman a predicament relating to the next Permanent appointment, Roman did what was understandable gave Robbie a two year deal, probably only wnating him for one year until probably PG became available - Good deal for Roman, no crap from the fans about not appointing Robbie and at the end of that first season either Robbie has success and stays or he doesn't and he's let go with the second year's money in his bank account.

There were some matters that probably caused Roman and the Board to act sooner than they wanted to, I'm afraid that the hostility to RB won't end and as well as what I believe to be a devisive management trait he has, you have a scenario where it's very easy for the players to become embroiled in it too as the fans make it easy for them to do so. That's why an "Anyone But Rafa" scenario may have been the best of a bad lot for us. I think it's an almost impossible job for him.

Tellingly for me, there's been no Press Conference with JT, Lampard or Cech with ringing endorsements for Rafa, the odd soundbyte Chelsea TV/Website acticle but nothing with a 'chest-beating' message. However I hope I'm way off the mark and all is well, but I have a nasty feeling we're in the mire with him.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I think Roman decided he would put up with it for 6 months. Let's be honest, the short-term thinking of the first decade of Roman's ownership has left us in a bit of shit. The Champions League win papered over a lot of cracks in terms of a dearth of players aged about 25 who we simply never bought in and we've still not replaced Mourinho.

The Club World Cup might have bought Rafa a bit of peace (and he's definitely got to beat Leeds) but now his job is simply to get top four and then leave. This last 18 months from AVB's appointment to the JT stuff, and then the Mikel stuff has been pretty awful with some real high spots.

This summer needs to see some real changes and that may include the last remnants of Mourinho's team leaving (even JT). In an ideal world I'd like a clean break at the top of the club and there is an ideal man for that who would help our image but this is complete pie in the sky thinking - Seb Coe.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I think Roman decided he would put up with it for 6 months. Let's be honest, the short-term thinking of the first decade of Roman's ownership has left us in a bit of shit. The Champions League win papered over a lot of cracks in terms of a dearth of players aged about 25 who we simply never bought in and we've still not replaced Mourinho.

I struggle to believe that Roman wouldn't have known, or been made aware of the depth of ill feeling towards RB. Therefore either he simply didn't care what that meant for a lot of fans or had other motives for bringing him in, Or was extremely poorly advised, as he may have been regarding the comings in and departures. Anyone could see we were short of a Striker and someone in midfield to act as a ball winner and shield for the centre-halves.

The Club World Cup might have bought Rafa a bit of peace (and he's definitely got to beat Leeds) but now his job is simply to get top four and then leave. This last 18 months from AVB's appointment to the JT stuff, and then the Mikel stuff has been pretty awful with some real high spots.

Unfortunately we didn't and unless we become extremely resilient and willing to win the battle first and then let our better footballers do their stuff tomorrow evening, I can see it being nasty tomorrow, with Warlock sending his team of assembled thugs and delightful characters such as Diouf to stick it well and truly up us. Agreed we've managed to create a number of s**t-storms, albeit aided by some creative rule making and sensationalism.

This summer needs to see some real changes and that may include the last remnants of Mourinho's team leaving (even JT). In an ideal world I'd like a clean break at the top of the club and there is an ideal man for that who would help our image but this is complete pie in the sky thinking - Seb Coe.

Personally the best football I've seen was the Robben, Duff team so I'm not so keen to forget the Mourinho era or method, I loved it. Nothing will change much at the top of the club unless Roman has an epiphany and decides that maybe he does need a bit of honest advice and some guidance. We can have a Chairman such as you suggest but his worth is almost worthless unless he is allowed influence (Coe is a true fan too, often see him walking in along past the old Fulham Tup, with his family). My own feeling is the model we've developed is now set and to be fair to Roman has worked in as much as we are successful trophy wise as any club in the country. Problem is all the collateral damage along the way.

Still think that RB was a foolish choice, Roman may have had limited choices but this one is causing divisions that may not simply heal by bringing a new man in next season.

I hate to be "that guy" but this doesn't make sense. I mean Grant was always going to be a natural interim after Mourinho left, so it was logical. Scolari too wasn't that far-fetched, he was a very successful coach on the International scene, a World Cup winner. He was great a knock out competitions, which the Champions League was. Of course Rafa's the only one here that is actually absurd, but then you have to remember.. What other coach was actually available when Di Matteo was snaked?

The one i actually found most bewildering was Ranieri (are we only counting Roman era)?

We have just replaced a manager who got us CL football for the first time and won us the FA Cup for a manager who relegated Ath.Madrid.

I struggle to believe that Roman wouldn't have known, or been made aware of the depth of ill feeling towards RB. Therefore either he simply didn't care what that meant for a lot of fans or had other motives for bringing him in, Or was extremely poorly advised, as he may have been regarding the comings in and departures. Anyone could see we were short of a Striker and someone in midfield to act as a ball winner and shield for the centre-halves.

Unfortunately we didn't and unless we become extremely resilient and willing to win the battle first and then let our better footballers do their stuff tomorrow evening, I can see it being nasty tomorrow, with Warlock sending his team of assembled thugs and delightful characters such as Diouf to stick it well and truly up us. Agreed we've managed to create a number of s**t-storms, albeit aided by some creative rule making and sensationalism.

Personally the best football I've seen was the Robben, Duff team so I'm not so keen to forget the Mourinho era or method, I loved it. Nothing will change much at the top of the club unless Roman has an epiphany and decides that maybe he does need a bit of honest advice and some guidance. We can have a Chairman such as you suggest but his worth is almost worthless unless he is allowed influence (Coe is a true fan too, often see him walking in along past the old Fulham Tup, with his family). My own feeling is the model we've developed is now set and to be fair to Roman has worked in as much as we are successful trophy wise as any club in the country. Problem is all the collateral damage along the way.

Still think that RB was a foolish choice, Roman may have had limited choices but this one is causing divisions that may not simply heal by bringing a new man in next season.

Agree with all of that too. I think Roman knew but simply how Rafa was viewed but simply decided to press on with it because he's looking at a much bigger picture. The guy sees us with a top manager (Guardiola) moving towards a more self-sustaining period through the academy and scouting systems, on the way to a new stadium somewhere fairly local and with the club becoming bigger overseas. i think he just decided 'fuck it' and go for a bit of short-term pain.

Not looking forward to the Leeds game because I think you're right about Warnock. Leaving in a few hours for it and I'm going to be sick the whole way up.

Coe is my ideal choice. A man of integrity, beloved by everyone in this country and a bit further abroad and like you say, a proper Chelsea fan. I remember seeing him years ago at the Bridge, usually around the ramp that used to lead into the East Stand (him and Alec Stewart used to hang around there from what I recall), and I think it would help our image enormously. Those days of Duff and Robben were fantastic but the whole club is moving towards something a little different underpinned by better longer-term planning.

Agree with all of that too. I think Roman knew but simply how Rafa was viewed but simply decided to press on with it because he's looking at a much bigger picture. The guy sees us with a top manager (Guardiola) moving towards a more self-sustaining period through the academy and scouting systems, on the way to a new stadium somewhere fairly local and with the club becoming bigger overseas. i think he just decided 'fuck it' and go for a bit of short-term pain.

Not looking forward to the Leeds game because I think you're right about Warnock. Leaving in a few hours for it and I'm going to be sick the whole way up.

Coe is my ideal choice. A man of integrity, beloved by everyone in this country and a bit further abroad and like you say, a proper Chelsea fan. I remember seeing him years ago at the Bridge, usually around the ramp that used to lead into the East Stand (him and Alec Stewart used to hang around there from what I recall), and I think it would help our image enormously. Those days of Duff and Robben were fantastic but the whole club is moving towards something a little different underpinned by better longer-term planning.

On the way up there myself, just waiting for the coach to leave the bridge. Take it easy, and mind yourself up there, it might get a bit Dooley, if you know what I mean.

On the way up there myself, just waiting for the coach to leave the bridge. Take it easy, and mind yourself up there, it might get a bit Dooley, if you know what I mean.

I'm driving up separately and leaving the shirt at home today. If it wasn't so near Christmas and I didn't need to look so pretty I might brave it.

Plus I'm going up with the old man. If things get hairy he's slower than me. :wave:

I'm driving up separately and leaving the shirt at home today. If it wasn't so near Christmas and I didn't need to look so pretty I might brave it.

Plus I'm going up with the old man. If things get hairy he's slower than me. :wave:

Give 'em hell lads...well, stay safe at least. It's not just the Leeds supporters that like to fight...I remember this particularly shining Leeds moment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22823/Savage-attack-Leeds-players.html

Give 'em hell lads...well, stay safe at least. It's not just the Leeds supporters that like to fight...I remember this particularly shining Leeds moment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22823/Savage-attack-Leeds-players.html

Give Woodgate some credit for not injuring himself doing that.

Anyways, off to Elland Road for the first time in over 15 years. COME ON YOU BLUES! :blue scalf: