What Was The Most Absurd Appointment

Rafa or Avram?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What was the most absurd appointment?

I agree to an extent about Phillip, but he had no previous with our rivals (Rafa) and was a World Cup winner, I can half see Roman's thinking. Absolutely pony appointment but he has never cunted us off in public (Rafa), Or look like the Grinch (Grant), and a clueless, inept, fuckwit, wankstain of a Grinch at that.

By the way, I know I said no waffle, I just wanted to publicly state that my choice of El Dago wanker in no way sides with the Handbrake Grant. I would rather dine out on fresh puke than be seen to side with Grant.

Our worst manager will turn out to be the Fat Spanish Waiter, just watch. Everything suronding him is completely wrong. At this rate, he will leave us with no trophy or UCL.

Look: Grant was whaleshit, but he had a top squad (greatest Mourinho legacy) and Steve Clark. Big Phill does not know how to play good football and he has no eye for talent. However, he did make Alex and Anelka better players and he left us in a decent EPL and UCL position.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Grant appointment was always baffling because no-one really knew who he was. It was vindication of a lot of rivals who spouted shit about Roman picking the team and he's proved himself to be a pretty average manager. Strangely we still managed to reach a Champions League Final and only lost on penalties. It makes you wonder how good Robbie Di Matteo actually was considering he managed the same feat a few years later.

The Rafa appointment isn't baffling or absurd in the slightest. It actually makes a lot of sense from Roman's point of view when you look at his track record, his availability/the lack of other options and his relationship with Torres. Yes the fans hated him but Roman decided that he wouldn't make decisions based on that (which the Robbie hiring was) so he took a bit of short-term 'discomfort' until the guy he really wanted was available.

Big Phil was flavour of the month so it wasn't that absurd. In hindsight it was a major mistake though.

The Grant appointment was always baffling because no-one really knew who he was. It was vindication of a lot of rivals who spouted shit about Roman picking the team and he's proved himself to be a pretty average manager. Strangely we still managed to reach a Champions League Final and only lost on penalties. It makes you wonder how good Robbie Di Matteo actually was considering he managed the same feat a few years later.

The Rafa appointment isn't baffling or absurd in the slightest. It actually makes a lot of sense from Roman's point of view when you look at his track record, his availability/the lack of other options and his relationship with Torres. Yes the fans hated him but Roman decided that he wouldn't make decisions based on that (which the Robbie hiring was) so he took a bit of short-term 'discomfort' until the guy he really wanted was available.

Big Phil was flavour of the month so it wasn't that absurd. In hindsight it was a major mistake though.

Yes, I agree.

However, just like you said with Scolari, Rafa will turn out to be a huge mistake.

As of right now, for me. it still is Felipao. Rafa has a big chance of taking his spot though!

The Grant appointment was baffling, but I don't think people remember how things were under Mourinho at the end. They were very messy and we were playing really badly despite being one of the best clubs in the world. Of our last 11 league games under Mourinho, we won only 3 of them (and they were 1 goal wins against Birmingham, Reading, and Portsmouth) and that's not to mention drawing Rosenborg at home and being knocked out by LIverpool in the CL. It was still surprising at the time, but that was before we really knew Roman and in retrospect, it was much less surprising. I can't imagine any manager having that sort of awful run an not getting fired under Roman.

Supporters always give too much credit and blame to managers. We won under Mourinho because we had an insanely talented team. You give Mourinho this current team and he doesn't win with it whereas Avram Grant did extremely well with that very talented team we had (66.7% winning percentage). I don't blame Rafa or RDM for us not winning this season. There is no magic tactical formula that a manager can pull out of his hat and make players play brilliantly.

The Grant appointment was baffling, but I don't think people remember how things were under Mourinho at the end. They were very messy and we were playing really badly despite being one of the best clubs in the world. Of our last 11 league games under Mourinho, we won only 3 of them (and they were 1 goal wins against Birmingham, Reading, and Portsmouth) and that's not to mention drawing Rosenborg at home and being knocked out by LIverpool in the CL.

Yeah I remember things weren't rosey, it all culminated with the "eggs and omelettes" speech after which shortly he was sacked. He was clearly implying that he'd been supplied with "class 3" eggs to make a shit omelette. Roman was tired of Mourinho having so much power so he gave him a reality check, which ended badly for him. For example the signing of Sheva screwed him even worse than Torres is screwing our managers now, because Sheva was and still is actually a friend of Roman. Then there were Ballack, Anelka and Malouda who I don't think were Mourinho signings. Roman was regaining control of the team and for that Jose had to go.

Just asking guyz but why is Grant considered an absurd appointment as he took us to our first ever UCL final and he deserved to win it! Also Scolari wasn't he so famous for his past success?

Grant Was just a puppet... Clark was the manager...

and after his wife said that she wants that we will lose the CL final vs bayern, i hate him.

I feel a bit sorry for Avram Grant really. He was more or less chucked into the job, yes it was a stupid appointment to make but he didn't do too badly and wasn't a class A wanker like Benitez. It was a stupid appointment but it wasn't his fault.

Just asking guyz but why is Grant considered an absurd appointment as he took us to our first ever UCL final and he deserved to win it! Also Scolari wasn't he so famous for his past success?

You miss the point. In hindsight he didn't do badly (most people think that it was actually Steve Clarke and Henk ten Cate pulling the strings), but at that time the appointment was beyond absurd. He was an obscure name who noone had ever heard about before, not at least in the sense of being a successful European manager, while we were supposed to be a growing powerhouse. Before Chelsea he worked only at Israeli teams.

Benitez however is exactly the opposite, he may be hated among the fans but in general he's held in much higher regard than Grant ever was and has a much more vast trophy cabinet and experience baggage. Think of it this way: Mourinho --> Grant, Di Matteo --> Benitez. Robbie is a fans' favourite but in managerial sense it wasn't as massive of a downgrade, if it even was a downgrade (still up for debate, many believe Robbie wasn't the right man for the job).

Appointing Benitez had a sentimental backlash but Grant was just a total bukkake in the face.

I don't know how this is even a contest.