Dan Petrescu

CHOULO19

Can't believe we don't have a thread for the best RB we ever had!

chelsea-dan-petrescu-47-topps-premier-go

Anyway, here is the best of Dan at Chelsea:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tdiusumsahydtplhttp://www.mediafire.com/?tdiusumsahydtplhttp://www.mediafire.com/?tdiusumsahydtpl

(not my upload)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daniel Vasile Petrescu (born 22 December 1967 in Bucharest, Romania) is a former Romanian international who played for Chelsea from 1995 until 2000, as an attacking right back. Other clubs included hide]

Before Chelsea

After playing for Steaua Bucharest's youth teams, Dan Petrescu was promoted into the first team in 1986 in a game played by Steaua just one month after winning the European Cup. Petrescu was loaned to FC Olt for the 1986–87 season, but asked to come back to Steaua Bucharest in 1987. He was an important part of the team which reached the semifinals of the European Cup in 1988 and the final in 1989. Also in 1989 he played for Romania for the first time, but missed the 1990 World Cup of the following year due to an injury.

In 1991 he was bought by U.S. Foggia of Italy, in a period when the club saw promotion to Serie A. In 1993 he moved to Genoa C.F.C. Petrescu moved to the English Premiership in 1994 after a successful World Cup for Romania, signing for Sheffield Wednesday from Genoa.

Chelsea career

After one season at Hillsborough he signed for Chelsea and featured prominently there for the next five years. During his term at Chelsea, he was a member of the teams which won the FA Cup in 1997 and the League Cup and UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (both in 1998).

180px-Dan_Petrescu.jpg
magnify-clip.png
Dan Petrescu at Stamford Bridge, 11 May 2008

An attacking right back, Petrescu scored some memorable goals for Chelsea, including the third, clinching, goal in aLeague Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg against Arsenal in 1998, with Chelsea sealing their place in the League Cup Final inGianluca Vialli's first match as manager of the club.[1]

After falling out with Vialli after a defeat to Manchester United, Petrescu never played for the club again and was not even selected as a substitute for the 2000 FA Cup Final against Aston Villa.

After Chelsea

He moved to Bradford City for £1m in July 2000, and then had a spell at Southampton. Petrescu returned to his native Bucharest for a last season as a football player, with FC Naţional. His last match was the Romanian Cup final, on 31 May 2003.

Petrescu has subsequently pursued a career as a coach, managing Wisła Kraków in Poland, before returning to Romania to manage Unirea Urziceni, with whom he won the Liga 1 title and qualified for the UEFA Champions League. Petrescu resigned as manager of Unirea Urziceni in December 2009. On 28 December 2009 the Russian First division club FC Kuban Krasnodar hired Petrescu on a five-year deal.

International

Petrescu registered 95 caps for the Romanian national team. He made his debut for the squad in 1989, and played at three major tournaments: the 1994 World Cup, Euro 96 and the 1998 World Cup, where the entire team famously dyed their hair blond after losing a bet with the team's coach Anghel Iordanescu.

In 1994 Petrescu played in his first World Cup in the United States. He scored the only goal in a win against the United States which saw Romania qualify for the second round as group winners. They were then handed a difficult game against Argentina which they managed to win, only to lose to Sweden on penalties in the quarter-finals, with Petrescu missing his spot-kick.

Euro 96 was a disappointment for Romania, as they lost all three group matches and only managed to score one goal. At France 1998, he raced past his Chelsea team-mate Graeme Le Saux and scored the winning goal against England, which effectively won them the group and ensured they would not have to face Argentina in the second round. In the end, the Romanians lost their second round game 1–0 to Croatia.

Chelsea career statistics Season Prem FA Cup League Cup Europe Other Total Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals 1995–96 24 2 7 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 31 3 1996–97 34 3 6 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 42 4 1997–98 31 5 1 0 3 1 7 2 1 0 43 8 1998–99 32 3 4 0 3 0 6 0 0 0 45 3 1999–00 29 4 3 0 0 0 15 1 0 0 47 5 Total 150 17 21 1 8 2 28 3 1 0 208 23

• 11 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26290869

Former Chelsea defender Dan Petrescu says he would not be able to turn down the chance to one day return to Stamford Bridge as manager.

The former Romania international, 46, is the current boss of Dinamo Moscow, where he is contracted until 2015.

Petrescu rejected the chance to take charge of Crystal Palace last November.

"I have a contract with Dynamo and I have to respect that. If one day Chelsea came along, I could not turn it down," he told BBC World Service.

Petrescu was part of the Chelsea team that won the FA Cup, League Cup and Uefa Super Cup in the 1990s.

He retired in 2003 and has gone on to enjoy success as a manager, winning domestic titles in Russia and Romania.

"My memories are only fantastic from Chelsea after five years there, winning so many trophies, being with great players and fantastic fans," he added.

"I have a daughter who is named Chelsea. It was everything for me. It was the best time in my life as a football player, this is for sure."

Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish had explored the possibility of offering Petrescu the chance to return to England, before opting to appoint Tony Pulis as manager.

"I was very close but I have a contract and I have to respect that," said Petrescu.

"Crystal Palace was a good opportunity for me and I hope there will be another opportunity to manage in England, especially in London."

What a legend, naming his daughter Chelsea!!

• 11 months later...

Heavily linked with the Forest job!!!

Love Dan the Man :)

He did wonders with Unirea Urziceni here in Romania. Tinpot club (15k population that town, 99% of them rednecks), managed to win the title and then get 8 points in Champions League (record for a Romanian team in that competition). Beat Seville at home, beat Rangers at Ibrox.

This w/o having the best players in Romania. Man management is his biggest quality, knows how to keep a group happy.

That team is long gone though. Their owner took the Champions League money (somewhere in the region of 20m euros) and declared the club bankrupt.

Forest fans will love him as long as he is getting good results. But he is not an entertaining coach, 10 times more defensive minded than Mourinho.