Fernando Torres

Why Fernando Torres is worth more than £50m

Wednesday, May 15th 2013, Amsterdam. Another final, another goal and another trophy for Fernando Torres. There aren’t many finals that Torres has been involved in and lost. There are even fewer he hasn’t scored in.

Torres has had his best campaign in three seasons this term and if you include the Golden Boot trophy in the FIFA European Championship for Spain, being named in the team of the competition for the Europa League and take into account the fact he’s scored 21 goals this season, you cant help but ask: Is Fernando Torres getting back to being El Nino?

Yet despite scoring 21 goals in club competitions and three in internationals he is still largely regarded as a bit-part player, as a player past his prime. In addition to scoring 21 goals this season he has assisted 11.

"Yeah, but he only scored seven Premier League goals this season", I hear you say. True, but if you look at when his league goals began to dry up it falls right around the time of the January transfer window. Before the rumours of Demba Ba, and Ba’s subsequent arrival, Torres had been playing relatively pressure free; his job was guaranteed.

Look at his record in the Europa League - nine games, six goals. With Ba cup-tied for the Europa League, Torres knew that he would play in every Europa League match. With Rafa Benitez juggling two strikers from January onwards, how could Torres know when he would start and when he would not?

For Chelsea this season, Torres has played a key part in 32 goals. For comparisons sake, Wayne Rooney has played a key role in 31 goals this season for Manchester United. I don’t remember hearing many people branding Wayne Rooney a flop this season, do you?

We all know why people are so hard on Torres - that transfer fee. The astronomical £50 million (which was only £15m more than Andy Carroll and down from the £70 million Liverpool asked in the summer prior to Torres' move) that gave the media the power to crush his confidence and focus the spotlight directly on El Nino.

The problem is though is that transfer fees are measured in terms of performance on the pitch. Is he worth £X million? and has he paid back his transfer fee? How can three goals in his first 15 games be worth £35 million?

We’ve all asked those questions, even I. Except while the fans and media will continue to compare performance to the fee paid for a certain player, I have news for you. You’re wrong.

You see, a player’s value is much greater than that of performance on the pitch, it helps, I grant you, but it is not the sole factor on which any given team considers when spending £50 million on a sole player. There’s a much bigger thing going on here - money, and how much of it can we make?

Clubs make money in a number of ways but the ones that I am going to specifically focus on are prize money, gate receipts and shirt sales. Chelsea rake in a lot of money from just these three things. And if you take into account Torres’ contribution to Chelsea this season, the amount of money he has helped them amass is actually rather astonishing.

First of all a little background knowledge. Chelsea sell around one million shirts per year worldwide, 18.7% of their total shirt sales are 'Torres 9' shirts. Torres’ Chelsea number nine shirt is the third most popular shirt in North America behind only Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney. Globally? Torres is third again.

If Torres sells 18.7% of one million, that equals 187,000 shirts. The average price for a new Chelsea shirt with Torres on the back of it is £53.50. That means we can assume an amount of £10,004,500 for shirt sales just attributed to Torres. He was also the face of Chelsea’s tour to Asia.

Struggles or not, Torres is a marketing machine and with his performances in this year’s Europa League, coupled with the prior success of Chelsea in the Champions League last season, Chelsea project to sell around a quarter of a million Torres shirts in the next 12 months. That number would be £13,375,000. In case you were wondering.

Right here we have £23,379,500 in revenue (albeit next year's projected figures) produced by a man who cost Chelsea a fee of £50,000,000. What’s more interesting is what happens if you take away Torres’ goals and assists for this season.

Chelsea finished third in the Premier League, won the Europa League and got to the semi-final of the FA Cup. Torres’ goals have come in important games for the Blues this season and they have even more important ramifications in terms of prize money and future prize money.

Without Torres’ goals, Chelsea would be fifth in the Premier League with 68 points, at the mercy of Arsenal’s last game of the season. Chelsea would have been eliminated in the fourth round of the FA Cup by Brentford and would’ve been out in the third round of the Europa League by Steaua Bucharesti.

Here’s the breakdown of the revenue Chelsea amassed by having runs in the Europa League and FA Cup, as well as their third place finish in the Premier League versus where they would’ve ended without Torres’ goals.

With Torres' goals:

Premier League | 3rd: £13,600,000

FA Cup | Semi-finalists: £1,147,500

FA Cup gate receipts: £4,676,441

Europa League | Winners: £5,750,000

Europa League gate receipts: £4,938,030

Shirt sales: £10,004,500

Total: £40,116,471

Without Torres' goals:

Premier League | 5th: £12,000,000

FA Cup | 4th round: £67,500

FA Cup gate receipts: £622,464

Europa League | 3rd round: £168,655

Europa League gate receipts: £1,159,260

Shirt sales: £10,004,500

Total: £24,022,379

That’s a difference of £16,094,092 in estimated revenue for the year. Even though Torres has struggled since his move from Anfield, he has been paying back his transfer fee since day one – initially outselling Carroll of Liverpool by 250 shirts to 1. Now El Nino has his eye for goal back, it seems like he may pay off the rest of the fee very soon, if not already.

If you take into account that Chelsea’s losses for this year are going to be around £4 million after taxes, then the extra £16 million that Torres’ goals have brought in this season is the difference between £4 million in losses and £20 million in losses, and with Financial Fair Play looming, that's a big, big help for Chelsea.

Torres has stated his desire to stay at Chelsea past the end of the season. If I were Chelsea I would welcome him back with open arms both from a marketing standpoint and a performance one.

The value of a player is much, much more complicated than just performances on the pitch. His performances have been stale until this past season, but his ability looks like it is waiting to burst back through at any moment.

If you asked me if Fernando Torres is worth £50 million given the data I would have to say yes. And I would follow by saying he’s probably worth even more than that

http://www.givemefootball.com/346521-why-fernando-torres-is-worth-more-than-50m

You gotta be f**king kidding me. That's just a load of crap and you know it.

Fuck marketing. Marketing does not perform on the pitch. This is football for Christ's sake.

And if we buy someone like Falcao or Cavani we'll have both great marketing and world class performances on the pitch.

So Trolles, go away, you're not wanted here!

Torres is a revelation when he comes off the bench? What? Point me out five games where he's changed the game after coming off the bench, please.

How can you have someone who's on £175k a week as a second choice striker? No way. If we got an offer for him I'd sell straight away simply because it'll alleviate his wages off of our wage budget which will allow us to get in a proper starting striker.

Demba Ba is the perfect second choice striker in my opinion. Shame people are simply now overlooking him because Torres has been on form and Ba hasn't. Ridiculous.

This ^ ^

Why our board thinks he's worth keeping is beyond me .

Torres is a revelation when he comes off the bench? What? Point me out five games where he's changed the game after coming off the bench, please.

How can you have someone who's on £175k a week as a second choice striker? No way. If we got an offer for him I'd sell straight away simply because it'll alleviate his wages off of our wage budget which will allow us to get in a proper starting striker.

Demba Ba is the perfect second choice striker in my opinion. Shame people are simply now overlooking him because Torres has been on form and Ba hasn't. Ridiculous.

I don't care about who is in better form, Torres is flat out a better footballer then Ba in every asset of the game. And Yes he is even better at scoring goals. To even compare an average player like Ba to Torres is ridiculous. Torres is a much better assist man, better on the ball, better crosses, better work rate. and had over twenty goals this season. All Demba Ba offers is a guy who is going to sit around the penalty box and wait for the ball. If you guys haven't noticed are midfield scores tons of goals we don't need a true forward anymore. We are winning trophies right now at Chelsea I don't get why so many fans want so many changes so quickly. Three trophies in two years is nothing to scoff at.

Let me say it again three trophies in two years, some of you guys are ridiculous.

I don't care about who is in better form, Torres is flat out a better footballer then Ba in every asset of the game. And Yes he is even better at scoring goals. To even compare an average player like Ba to Torres is ridiculous. Torres is a much better assist man, better on the ball, better crosses, better work rate. and had over twenty goals this season. All Demba Ba offers is a guy who is going to sit around the penalty box and wait for the ball. If you guys haven't noticed are midfield scores tons of goals we don't need a true forward anymore. We are winning trophies right now at Chelsea I don't get why so many fans want so many changes so quickly. Three trophies in two years is nothing to scoff at.

Let me say it again three trophies in two years, some of you guys are ridiculous.

Strong username/post ratio

I agree with you................................... if we were in 2008!

Demba ba outscored torres in the premier league this season, and played way fewer games, if you wanna compare numbers.

We have 3 trophies in two years which is great, but on a season long basis we are woeful in terms of striking options for a top club in europe. Just compare our strike forces with Man utd, man city, barca, real, juve, atletico, napoli, bayern, dortmund etc. Also we have won two of those trophys mainly through will and determination, not because of our "current" striker options. Also for two of those trophies we had a certain legend named Didier Drogba.

Lukaku is head and shoulders ahead of both of them.

I agree with you................................... if we were in 2008!

Demba ba outscored torres in the premier league this season, and played way fewer games, if you wanna compare numbers.

We have 3 trophies in two years which is great, but on a season long basis we are woeful in terms of striking options for a top club in europe. Just compare our strike forces with Man utd, man city, barca, real, juve, atletico, napoli, bayern, dortmund etc. Also we have won two of those trophys mainly through will and determination, not because of our "current" striker options. Also for two of those trophies we had a certain legend named Didier Drogba.

Lukaku is head and shoulders ahead of both of them.

I can agree with Lukaku he is young and has been playing amazing over at West Brom. But in my opinion why get rid of Torres. He is just flat out a better player then Ba, and Ba is built in more of a similar fashion to Lukaku then Torres. So why have two similar options.

And yes he outscored Torres in the premier league but that's not the overall goals number.

Yeah, Torres got over 20 goals this season because of the amount of games he played. Had Ba been eligible to play EL for us, do't you reckon he wold of had more of a goal tally. Plus most of Torres goals came against far inferior team apart from Arsenal and Benfica.

Are you living in 2008?

Did Torres single handily win us three trophies?

I'm actually chuckling my arse off here.

Bolded: Why ? Torres is also an average player at best.

Many changes ? We just want Torres to GTFO.

Don't really get what winning trophies has to do with getting rid of Torres.

Unless you think getting rid of Torres will hurt our chances of winning more trophies

in which case you should go and check yourself into the nearest mental institution.

Torres is an average striker getting paid like a worldclass striker.

Ba is an average striker getting paid like an average striker.

If we have a chance to sell him we should.

Next season i'd go with : New striker, Lukaku, Ba.

Troll spotted.

I can agree with Lukaku he is young and has been playing amazing over at West Brom. But in my opinion why get rid of Torres. He is just flat out a better player then Ba, and Ba is built in more of a similar fashion to Lukaku then Torres. So why have two similar options.

And yes he outscored Torres in the premier league but that's not the overall goals number.

Why get rid of torres?

IMO, to simply draw a line under it. Move on. It's been 3 years and its clearly not gonna happen. He improved a bit to the end of the season so if we can get a bit of money for him, i would take it. There seems to be a torres shadow that lingers everywhere. He shows a glimpse of what he used to do and everyone gets excited etc, but it never really works out that well. With Mourinho i actually think he is one of the few managers who may be able to escape on that and play the players on merit, and bench torres if thats what it comes down to.

He has played a lot more games. But the Ba vs Torres thing isn't even the issue. We would only get rid of them if we had a replacement and all the reports seem to suggest we could be bringing in a big name striker, in which case i would love to see that player (whoever it is) as no.1, with Lukaku being the no.2, to get lots of minutes in the season. Meaning both of them would get pushed out.

Could you pass me what you're smkoking? Me wantey too.

guess where i stopped reading your post/

guess where i stopped reading your post/

That was in reply to the person above me who said Torres WAS in better form. I was suggesting that even if Torres was not in better form he would still be my first option between him and Ba. Do you guys not understand that Torres is not just a goalscorer but a play maker as well. Something that cannot be said for too many strikers who are as one dimensional as Ba. And like I said before, Chelsea is one of the few teams in the world who can compete with other world class teams without a striker that does not score twenty plus a season.

That was in reply to the person above me who said Torres WAS in better form. I was suggesting that even if Torres was not in better form he would still be my first option between him and Ba. Do you guys not understand that Torres is not just a goalscorer but a play maker as well. Something that cannot be said for too many strikers who are as one dimensional as Ba. And like I said before, Chelsea is one of the few teams in the world who can compete with other world class teams without a striker that does not score twenty plus a season.

We don't need a playmaker we need a great goalscorer.

we dont need another playmaker. we need a striker. a person who can give us an outlet to the playmakers in the team. some1 who can be a DD in the box. plus we dont need a crappy playmaker for a 200kpweek salary. we need a 20-30 goal a season striker to be a PL/CL winning team. can u understand that?

I generally feel he does well coming on as a sub. Not a revelation, but in many ways he is a game changer coming off the bench.

If we get an offer and sell him, great, but if not, he is alright for a second striker for another season at the most.

Demba Ba is good as well, but who said we cant have 3 top strikers in the club? United have like 5. City have 3+ as well.

In my view, our club does not work like that in terms of having to ship out a high earner to get another one in. I may be wrong but the amount of payouts we give to managers firing and hiring, kind of says that money is not the biggest issue.

However, i understand your concern. It makes sense to be prudent, but this is Chelsea and being Prudent is almost absent at all times.

In any case, i think Lukaku is better than both Ba and Torres.