Fernando Torres

I hope he works a lot in the gym over the summer with mceachran oscar and many others ?(like RVP did before he joined arsenal, you have to do that before you join a big club from an average side, he was not able to do it when he came from liverpool) he has to continue using the workout rafa has given him.. I just saying this because I am expecting him to stay he has said too much and roman loves him it seems. I remember watching the qpr game he was chillin but everytime torres scored he looked like he had won the CL.. It just the price we pay for having roman but I am not complaining he has given us so much! If he can keep his form and works hard over the summer he could come ok!

Time to go Fernando, sorry!

You were our best player (along with Hazard) in our Europa League campaign, you showed you still have pace, cold blood and you are demosntrating a level of focus and determination never seen while you were at Chelsea. You also scored 23 goals this season, which is not terrible as most people make. So, thanks for that, honestly...

However, this does not take away the fact you rarely help the team in build-up plays, you often lose possession due to your horrible decision making and you lost that striker instinct to know when and where to shoot. Countless the times you have frustrated us and it is not 23 goals against half decent teams that will erase your first 2 shameful years as a Chelsea player. You gain 175k/week (making you one of the 10 highest payed professionals) and you only have 1 EPL goal (that came in the very last game) this entire year?? 1 lucky UCL goal (because I ain't counting the two against Nordsjaelland)??

We payed 50mi for a piece of shit that has shown very few glimpses of brilliance (Ghent, Manure, Barcelona and UEL). Added to one of the worst first 1.5 season I have ever seen a top (ex-top) player display in my entire short life. If this had been your first season, I would be full of hope that you would prevail next year, but this is an old excuse now, it has happened twice already. Sorry, but this is way far from being good enough. It doesn't even justify you being a backup striker (if you gained 50-60k, maybe), let alone keeping you for this atrocious amount of money!

GO LEAVE YOUR LIFE ELSEWHERE!!!! :blue scalf:

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-transfers-napoli-want-rafa-1904611

Please be true...

Rafa and Nando. Still a better love story than Twilight :D What can I say, if we receive an offer of 20-25 mln pounds I think we should cash in as that'll probably be the best we could ever get for him.

Rafa and Nando. Still a better love story than Twilight :D What can I say, if we receive an offer of 20-25 mln pounds I think we should cash in as that'll probably be the best we could ever get for him.

£20-25m, no way he'd ever go for that much. Napoli are in no position to pay Torres' wages so Chelsea would have to compensate for some of the difference in wages for the remainder of the contract, which runs till 2016. The fee would no doubt be less than £15m and most of that would probably go directly to Torres himself as a golden handshake for lost wages.

Not particularly a good deal but we can't honestly hope for a better one so I'd bite their hand off for a deal like that, at least we'd get rid of him which would solve a lot of problems. We could then go on and buy a new CF and either recall Lukaku to play second choice with Demba Ba 3rd, or let Lukaku stay on loan and have Ba as backup for another year before finally getting Lukaku back.

Id prefer him to stay and be our second striker,,,, while he doesnt do great while starting, he is a revelation when he comes on as a sub.... he does indeed change games as his game works when he has more pace and energy than his opponents.

I personally dont care if he is paid big bucks, and is our second striker.

He is certainly improving, and does great every time he comes on as a sub, and has a few good games as a starter as well.

He will be an asset as a second choice.

We need depth with quality and effectiveness.

Season after next, Lukaku will be back, so Torres can be sold with 2 years remaining, but for next season, i would definitely want him here.

www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-transfers-napoli-want-rafa-1904611

Please be true...

Yes it seems to be true, as Sky Sports News are reporting that Rafa Benitez will be off to Napoli after our second post season friendly against Manchester City.

If this is true it would be interesting to see if he is allowed to take Fernando Torres with him. As Napoli is looking for a replacement for Edinson Cavani and they have reportedly shown some interest in Ferando Torres.
Edited by Green Lantern18

Why Fernando Torres is worth more than £50m

Wednesday, May 15th 2013, Amsterdam. Another final, another goal and another trophy for Fernando Torres. There aren’t many finals that Torres has been involved in and lost. There are even fewer he hasn’t scored in.

Torres has had his best campaign in three seasons this term and if you include the Golden Boot trophy in the FIFA European Championship for Spain, being named in the team of the competition for the Europa League and take into account the fact he’s scored 21 goals this season, you cant help but ask: Is Fernando Torres getting back to being El Nino?

Yet despite scoring 21 goals in club competitions and three in internationals he is still largely regarded as a bit-part player, as a player past his prime. In addition to scoring 21 goals this season he has assisted 11.

"Yeah, but he only scored seven Premier League goals this season", I hear you say. True, but if you look at when his league goals began to dry up it falls right around the time of the January transfer window. Before the rumours of Demba Ba, and Ba’s subsequent arrival, Torres had been playing relatively pressure free; his job was guaranteed.

Look at his record in the Europa League - nine games, six goals. With Ba cup-tied for the Europa League, Torres knew that he would play in every Europa League match. With Rafa Benitez juggling two strikers from January onwards, how could Torres know when he would start and when he would not?

For Chelsea this season, Torres has played a key part in 32 goals. For comparisons sake, Wayne Rooney has played a key role in 31 goals this season for Manchester United. I don’t remember hearing many people branding Wayne Rooney a flop this season, do you?

We all know why people are so hard on Torres - that transfer fee. The astronomical £50 million (which was only £15m more than Andy Carroll and down from the £70 million Liverpool asked in the summer prior to Torres' move) that gave the media the power to crush his confidence and focus the spotlight directly on El Nino.

The problem is though is that transfer fees are measured in terms of performance on the pitch. Is he worth £X million? and has he paid back his transfer fee? How can three goals in his first 15 games be worth £35 million?

We’ve all asked those questions, even I. Except while the fans and media will continue to compare performance to the fee paid for a certain player, I have news for you. You’re wrong.

You see, a player’s value is much greater than that of performance on the pitch, it helps, I grant you, but it is not the sole factor on which any given team considers when spending £50 million on a sole player. There’s a much bigger thing going on here - money, and how much of it can we make?

Clubs make money in a number of ways but the ones that I am going to specifically focus on are prize money, gate receipts and shirt sales. Chelsea rake in a lot of money from just these three things. And if you take into account Torres’ contribution to Chelsea this season, the amount of money he has helped them amass is actually rather astonishing.

First of all a little background knowledge. Chelsea sell around one million shirts per year worldwide, 18.7% of their total shirt sales are 'Torres 9' shirts. Torres’ Chelsea number nine shirt is the third most popular shirt in North America behind only Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney. Globally? Torres is third again.

If Torres sells 18.7% of one million, that equals 187,000 shirts. The average price for a new Chelsea shirt with Torres on the back of it is £53.50. That means we can assume an amount of £10,004,500 for shirt sales just attributed to Torres. He was also the face of Chelsea’s tour to Asia.

Struggles or not, Torres is a marketing machine and with his performances in this year’s Europa League, coupled with the prior success of Chelsea in the Champions League last season, Chelsea project to sell around a quarter of a million Torres shirts in the next 12 months. That number would be £13,375,000. In case you were wondering.

Right here we have £23,379,500 in revenue (albeit next year's projected figures) produced by a man who cost Chelsea a fee of £50,000,000. What’s more interesting is what happens if you take away Torres’ goals and assists for this season.

Chelsea finished third in the Premier League, won the Europa League and got to the semi-final of the FA Cup. Torres’ goals have come in important games for the Blues this season and they have even more important ramifications in terms of prize money and future prize money.

Without Torres’ goals, Chelsea would be fifth in the Premier League with 68 points, at the mercy of Arsenal’s last game of the season. Chelsea would have been eliminated in the fourth round of the FA Cup by Brentford and would’ve been out in the third round of the Europa League by Steaua Bucharesti.

Here’s the breakdown of the revenue Chelsea amassed by having runs in the Europa League and FA Cup, as well as their third place finish in the Premier League versus where they would’ve ended without Torres’ goals.

With Torres' goals:

Premier League | 3rd: £13,600,000

FA Cup | Semi-finalists: £1,147,500

FA Cup gate receipts: £4,676,441

Europa League | Winners: £5,750,000

Europa League gate receipts: £4,938,030

Shirt sales: £10,004,500

Total: £40,116,471

Without Torres' goals:

Premier League | 5th: £12,000,000

FA Cup | 4th round: £67,500

FA Cup gate receipts: £622,464

Europa League | 3rd round: £168,655

Europa League gate receipts: £1,159,260

Shirt sales: £10,004,500

Total: £24,022,379

That’s a difference of £16,094,092 in estimated revenue for the year. Even though Torres has struggled since his move from Anfield, he has been paying back his transfer fee since day one – initially outselling Carroll of Liverpool by 250 shirts to 1. Now El Nino has his eye for goal back, it seems like he may pay off the rest of the fee very soon, if not already.

If you take into account that Chelsea’s losses for this year are going to be around £4 million after taxes, then the extra £16 million that Torres’ goals have brought in this season is the difference between £4 million in losses and £20 million in losses, and with Financial Fair Play looming, that's a big, big help for Chelsea.

Torres has stated his desire to stay at Chelsea past the end of the season. If I were Chelsea I would welcome him back with open arms both from a marketing standpoint and a performance one.

The value of a player is much, much more complicated than just performances on the pitch. His performances have been stale until this past season, but his ability looks like it is waiting to burst back through at any moment.

If you asked me if Fernando Torres is worth £50 million given the data I would have to say yes. And I would follow by saying he’s probably worth even more than that

http://www.givemefootball.com/346521-why-fernando-torres-is-worth-more-than-50m

tumblr_lthhihJULx1r4alnuo1_500.jpg

The good thing would be, if Torres did leave this summer, at least we can turn around and say "well, he scored 23 goals last season, more than Dzeko, Rooney, Tevez....". That would at least restore some credibility.