Could we be having the wrong impression about the pivot?

kellzfresh

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The perfect double pivot should be something like

De Rossi-Modric (just example)

De Rossi as classic DM with great positioning, strenght, tacklink, movement, marking and more defensive style. Very reliable and experienced. Good ball control, shots on goal, long passing, even vision.

Modric as more creative, DPL. With better passing, going forward and linking midfield with attack. Still decent at tackling and positioning.

---

What we have is energy (Rambo) and strenght (Mikel). I guess we stucked with them, but there should be more creativity indeed.

All I can say about the pivot is that at the moment we don't have suitable players there to play possession football. In fact ever since we switched over to 4-2-3-1 we haven't had suitable players to play there. Letting Meireles go was a big mistake. He was not perfect but at the moment he could have been of great use. He worked well with Mikel in the games they played together, not what we can say about Lampard. Ramires is a temporary fix until we find someone suitable for that position.

Great post, But think Lampard/Ramires could be to attacking. When Ramires pushes forward, It would leave Frank on his own. He's too slow now to prevent attacks, and isn't exactly known for his tackling/defensive attributes. Think Lampard however would work great alongside a proper centre-mid.

Then again, give either Mikel,Ramires or Lampard a proper partner in midfield. And it will make them look alot better.

Great post, But think Lampard/Ramires could be to attacking. When Ramires pushes forward, It would leave Frank on his own. He's too slow now to prevent attacks, and isn't exactly known for his tackling/defensive attributes. Think Lampard however would work great alongside a proper centre-mid.

Then again, give either Mikel,Ramires or Lampard a proper partner in midfield. And it will make them look alot better.

You're right. The real problem is if ramires pushes foward. But against smaller teams, I have no problems with a more attacking pivot. We don't have any creative player in the cm role (unless oscar can chip in there,) so that's why lampard can be an option there against bottom half teams that don't attack.

For brasil, I think ramires stays the deepest since lucas isn't there. But maybe because of mikel, he goes foward.

All I can say about the pivot is that at the moment we don't have suitable players there to play possession football. In fact ever since we switched over to 4-2-3-1 we haven't had suitable players to play there. Letting Meireles go was a big mistake. He was not perfect but at the moment he could have been of great use. He worked well with Mikel in the games they played together, not what we can say about Lampard. Ramires is a temporary fix until we find someone suitable for that position.

Meireles was a big mistake. But we never really experimented our options there. It was always "trying to find a partner for mikel" and not trying to find the combinations in the pivot.

I know both ramires and lampard move foward, but against the bottom half of the table teams, that is what we need to totally dominate them when they are sitting deep. Ramires greatest strength is his recovery on the counter and we are not using it well.

Ramires sits the deepest for brazil so I think he will recognise his position as the most defensive beside lampard.

Meireles was a big mistake. But we never really experimented our options there. It was always "trying to find a partner for mikel" and not trying to find the combinations in the pivot.

I know both ramires and lampard move foward, but against the bottom half of the table teams, that is what we need to totally dominate them when they are sitting deep. Ramires greatest strength is his recovery on the counter and we are not using it well.

Ramires sits the deepest for brazil so I think he will recognise his position as the most defensive beside lampard.

Meireles was way better than Mikel , he totally owned Barca in that Semifinal , he was a better tackler and i'm sure he had more interceptions than Mikel <_< And i liked his tattoos :D