Physical & Mental health

Leif

@Rmpr

im not sure if gyms are different over there than they are here in england, id imagine not meaning that you will be shown how to use everything. somebody will show you around, show you how to use every, show you the right technique. most places even set you some goals based on what you want to achieve. Also, remember they are paid to be there and give you hints and tips and help you out, so use them!

your diet sounds fine and you shouldnt need to supplement. only look to use supplements if you feel you are failing to meet certain nutritional needs. Sounds ot me that you will pick it all up very easily. if you have been taining for tennis and football etc it should all come naturally.

Why dont you just do either football or tennis instead of dropping them both. i would advise you to do at least one of them.

my advise is going to be just take it easy for the first couple of weeks, then sit down and write yourself out a programme or just a simple guide of whatm uscles you are going to work on what days, then at least you have some kind of structure to your routine. just use and abuse the members of staff.

if its strength your after look in to eccentric exercise (negatives) also instead of aiming for 3 sets of 8-12 reps, f its strength, look to be going for 4/5 sets of 4-6 reps. and when i say 4-6 (or 8-12) i mean, the weight you are lifting, it should be near impossible for you to lift one more. so its important to be setting your weights right. but again, look to do this after you are comfortable with technique and machines etc.

I've lost my my quote, but to the fella complaining about his groin. go see a physio if you can. or look at some youtube/google videos on physiotherapy. you may be able to self diagnose it and then pick up some advice on the internet as in how to treat it. be careful though as 9 times out of 10 you will not diagnose yourself properly! so see a physio if you can, if not i may be able to help you pin point exactly what youve done, but thats not going to be easy without seeing it (show me your knob *WHATCouGhGCouGH*)

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can help a lot here! but i need to know more. what position do you play? how old are you?

and who is telling you to lose 3KGs? if you arent fat i wouldnt see why a coach would ask you to lose weight. also, if you are being asked to lsoe weight id imagine you must be quite a bulky lad? in which case, jsut cut down on the weights. maybe reduce hte weight, and just dont look to increase the weight any more, jsut look for maintanance once you lose your weight. i need mroe info here though to advise you.

trainign 6 times a week is a lot. im assuming you are counting a game as a session as well. if this is all training with your club, then they should know what they are doing. if you are doing your own training sessions, and all you want to do is improve your physical side its very simple. you want to get better at football? when you play football waht do you do? you sprint every now and then for about 3 seconds. you run at a high intensity for 3 -6 minutes a time. and you walk around to recover. you jump up and down every now and then. and most improtnatly, you do most of this with a ball at your feet.

My advice: do some sprints. make sure they last no more than 5 seconds. this is a very little amount of time, and when you do them, itll feel even shorter. but you never sprint for more than 5 seconds in a match, so why would you need to sprint train for 10 seconds? you will get the best adapatations from replicating what you do in a game.

your high intensity running, do interval traning, 3 minutes hard running, 3 minutes rest ( prefereably with a ball, i imaigne your coach sets up a lot of small games that do this exact thing).

Speed endurance training: this is very improtant. there are two types. speed maintanance, and speed production. these are both extremely hard, and you will need a full days recovery/the next day will need to be a light session.

maintanance = ~30seconds all out - everyhting you've got (looking at 80-95% of your max effort), 30 seconds rest. do that 3 times and increase it to 4 5 etc as your traning goes on. it is super hard, you may even throw up a few times ;) again, this can be done with a ball, infact i have the exact routine our very own frank lampard does for this on my computer somewhere. the man who designed it and did it with frank was a lecturer of mine.

PRODUCTION: very similar, but this time you get a very long rest so that you fully recover. but you need to work at 100% max effot. so if you do 30-50 seconds on, you need 5minutes rest. then go again. may be harder to do with a ball at your feet, but you can run around a lot then do a small dribble and whip in a cross (the type of activity here depends on your position!).

what else.. jumps. do some plyometrics. im not sure hwat level you play at, but all these things should be familiar to you. just do them! and increase your intensity as time goes on to see improvements. for hte jumps, hold a few weights in your hand to increase how hard it is. and again, add a ball, aim to go in for a header or something.

simply: the more specific it is to your sport, and movements you do in a game, the better it will be for you! the frank lampard drill i spoke about, its specifically designed to him. its based on typical movemetns frank would do in a game at that time, that lead to a positive effect on a game, they just took that strength, and made him practice it so he became better at it!

like i said more details are needed. if you are training alone, or in a group, they will be different. and hte postion you play. your age. the level of football you play. your current routine. and the routine your coach gives you all need to be taken in to consideration. but what ive said above is real generic stuff.

I'm playing Left Back and Centre Back. I'm like Ivanović, started as CB, but moved to LB because of lack of good players there.

I'm 19 yrs old. I'm playing in 3 SNL which is 3rd division (semi pro) (No much diference in quality in Slovenia expect NK Maribor which is our only good team)

I'm not fat, I'm similar to Ivanović :D I have 5 training per week and 2 friendly games (it's still pre-season).

I want to improve sprint speed, first few steps which are most important in football.

I train with group, but I will start training two times per day from next week (Morning alone, day with team)

Do you reccommend me any good drinks after games/ training. What's best to eat before matches, trainings?

Regardless if you're after strength or what not, definitely don't start doing 4-6 reps for max weight at the beginning. You WILL snap your shit up. Start with moderate weight with a bit more reps to get muscles working and used to this type of training. In the beginning, strength will come very fast and you'll see a lot of changes in the first 3-4 weeks. It's not necessarily about training so your veins are about to pop, its more about consistency and routine. Keep showing up and form is everything. Like said before, take everyone's advice with a pinch of salt and look at it rationally - if you are eating healthy, you feel energized and sleep well then you are on a good diet. Diet is a way of eating not starving. => You don't need supplements.

Everyone's body is different, some people get upper body strength fast, others gain lower body's. It's all different and you shouldn't compare yourself with anyone. Set mini goals and cherish every progress you make. Compound movements are the way to go, they give overall fitness and give best results for logical reasons. Keep it simple in the start - leave negatives, super sets etc to the future when you hit a certain plateau, because in the end of the day - if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

@dumps Btw, just read your comment on creatine - it does taste like.. well.. a bit like aspirine - but ive got a question also: how much should one take it, how often and should you cycle on and off for some times? Because I've read it stays in your organism for 3 months after you've finished using it and anything excessive is always bad for kidneys etc. At the moment, I'm taking it 3 times a week(after finishing weight-training) for like 5 grams per serving.

Don't you not have to take it on rest days as well? The tub I've got says take a 5g serving with breakfast and a 5g serving with your dinner on rest days. I only just started taking it and well I don't know too much about it, Im just hoping that the fucker who wrote the label is correct lmao..

I'm playing Left Back and Centre Back. I'm like Ivanović, started as CB, but moved to LB because of lack of good players there.

I'm 19 yrs old. I'm playing in 3 SNL which is 3rd division (semi pro) (No much diference in quality in Slovenia expect NK Maribor which is our only good team)

I'm not fat, I'm similar to Ivanović :D I have 5 training per week and 2 friendly games (it's still pre-season).

I want to improve sprint speed, first few steps which are most important in football.

I train with group, but I will start training two times per day from next week (Morning alone, day with team)

Do you reccommend me any good drinks after games/ training. What's best to eat before matches, trainings?

Sorry for bumping in, but I'll just share my opinion on this. When you run etc you sweat a lot and lose electrolytes(Ca,Mg,K) so drinking JUICE will help you, also mineralwater, hell you can also make salt water, but add salt in moderation as a lot of salt is bad for excessive Na but in the end of the day your brain needs those to function normally. Sport drinks are usually crap full of sugar. Before training eat bananas, nuts, beans and foods that contain long-absorbing carbonhydrates.(pasta for example)

Don't you not have to take it on rest days as well? The tub I've got says take a 5g serving with breakfast and a 5g serving with your dinner on rest days. I only just started taking it and well I don't know too much about it, Im just hoping that the fucker who wrote the label is correct lmao..

To be fair, at first week you go through 'loading' phase where you take a bit more than needed to pump up the creatine levels in your system, but when I took 5g a day I actually did feel a difference. My question was that if 5g/day is actually excessive and does one cycle off it also after certain time.

so you have a massive fat arse as well?? ;)

this is very good, your coaches should be helping you out a lot here. your training is very high so try not to over do it. it is pre seasons nad it is suppose to get you ready, but don't over a do it.

In terms of sprint speed, doing it alone is nice and easy. Its like going to the gym, but you arent lifting weights, you are running very fast. now, elite footballers tend to sprint for 3-6 seconds a go. covering 15-25m. so you do not want to be running further/longer than this as it is no use to your game. However, if you are an attacking left back, sprint speed may not be your main concern. but for now i will tell you how to improve your sprint speed:

you are looking to do 5 sets of 5-8 100% maximal sprints that last no more than 5seconds (its not easy timing yourself, so try work out how far you cna run in 15 5 seconds, then mark out this distance). between each sprint you need to rest for 2 minutes. and between sets at least 5 minutes (more if you want). why such a long rest period? you need your body to recover, if you dont rest, the next sprint will not be 100% of your effort as you will fatigue. obviously, towards the end of this work out you are going to fatigue, but early on, you shouldnt.

do the first couple of sets in a simple straight line. then in the third set, add a turn, either run half then turn sharply to your left or right and run out (make sure its still 5s). then look to add a ball. for example, you could sprint in a straight line to a ball, take a touch, have a shot. or look to pass the ball to a target. the more specific you cna make it to your position and typical movements, the better you are.

you need to get used to playing with the ball after you have exerted yourself maximally. you see a player run down the wing, then they go to cross the ball and its an awful cross, the crowd are disgusted as it should be something simple... that man has just ran to is maximal ability, his legs are fatigued, hes gonna mess it up, but if you get used to this, your technique will improve in these situations.

i hope this helps and it is clear. also, if you have access to a gym, squat strength is related to sprint speed, so maybe smash some squats. plyometric jumps as well tend to help. any questions just ask.

if you are still losing looking to lose weight because you are now a LB rather than a CB, just lay off the upper body weights.

Drink/food. before the match you obviously dont want something thats gonna give you discomfort, you will know what makes you feel uncomfrtable, so avoid that. noramlyl foods high in fat. and foods high in protein, stay away form them. 3 hours before your match, go nuts though, obviously some carbs. i assume you get advice on what to eat and what not, but pasta, breads, grains potatoes etc, all good. - about 200g of carbs before a game (at least 3 hours) should be good. look for low GI stuff (whole grains etc, not sugary stuff)

after your game, look to consume lots of carbs, and protein. a drink after may be useful, if you can get hold of protein powders and stuff, you can make up a sugary drink with some added protein, this helps recovery. look to consume high/moderate GI foods immiedietly after. drink a lucozade/any other sports drink. the sugar will get in to hte system fast and help replenish your glycogen and sugars etc. try to drink/eat these carbs as soon as possible, as during this time, your insulin sensitivity is raised and all the pathways and structures involved with transporting glucose around are working to their prime, so it will get in to your muscles a lot faster. after that, keep eating the carbs.

during your pre season, your training load is heavy. try to make sure you eat loads of carbs. just loads. 60-65% of your fiet should be carbs. and you should be consuming a lot of calories id imagine. if you want more specific information just ask.

hope it helps, just ask if you want me to explain things better as this is fairly generic.

To be fair, at first week you go through 'loading' phase where you take a bit more than needed to pump up the creatine levels in your system, but when I took 5g a day I actually did feel a difference. My question was that if 5g/day is actually excessive and does one cycle off it also after certain time.

With creatine it depends on the quality of it, how much muscle mass you have and if your body is good at absorbing it. but ya, you do your loading phase as you say, then you look to have 3-5g a day. My advice with creatine would be do 3 weeks on it, then 3 weeks off it. to be on it constantly can cause some problems, im not sure its heavily researched, but the long terms effects of constantly using creatin can lead to your body becoming lazy in its absorption and use of PCr. so my advice would be try 3/4 weeks on and 3/4 weeks off it, im sure ive seen a study that did that. you use up your creatine stores pretty fast, not sure where you heard of it staying in your system for 3 months, im 90% sure thats twaddle.

a lot of people dont tend to use creatine for just training, its more of something to use to boost your performance, but if you feel its helping you train, go for it.

i cant recall a good loading amount, id have to look through my notes, but im sure the product you have advises you on the amount you should take.

Read a bit on it. If you take excessive creatine it will store as creatinine and will be stored for some time (there where the 3 months comes in) and if it will not be used for energy synthesis it will be filtered out by kidneys in form of urine. There are some, who say it is ok not to cycle off and to take 5g a day and some take 20 grams per day for 3 days, 5 grams per day for the next 8 weeks followed by 4 weeks off with no supplementation then repeat the cycle again.

Also stressed that there is no scientific study that indicates overusage is bad for your body but I guess anything excessive is bad. It has been shown that mixing creatine into juice will increase it effectiveness by 40-60%. When you stop taking creatine, your body will start to produce it again. It's just that you can't get enough creatine from natural sources bcs it would mean you'd need to eat 4-5kgs fish/meat a day for loading phase and 1kg/day for the regular 5g a day cycle.

(Source: well respected Estonian body building forum hosted by top bodybuilders in the country.)

I have lost a lot of weight since my High School(9-12) days, in that time i wrestled and played Football(Soccer) for my school. Due to being on a Football scholarship i couldn't wrestle anymore, and my coach ordered me to drop 15-20 pounds so i can be quicker and agile on the pitch.

Now that i have graduated from uni for about two years and football days are behind me i am looking to gain a pretty good amount of muscle.

I have looked around the internet, and so far i gathered from bodybuilding.com and other similar sites that you need 1.5 grams per body pound. So for someone like me who is 6 feet 1, and 170 pounds, i need around 255 Grams daily. Now i always been successful at building muscle, i am pretty sure their recommendation is bullshit and it is a way for those sites to sell supplements. My wallet is not that deep to get that much protein on a regular basis.

So for someone like me who is looking to gain muscle pretty fast, does anyone know how much protein intake i need daily to be pretty effective at building muscle.

yeah the juice will spike your insulin so i guess that helps with the absorption of creatine in the muscles.

my main concern is that theres not really any need to take creatine if its just to train, it has a good effect, cangive you that little bit extra PCr during a sprint, or effort of lifting, but its not one id advise to take just during training, yeah you may be able to lift one or 2 extra reps, but is it worth all that money.

Im not sure about this storage thing, creatine is used up pretty fast. and we can make it pretty well ourselves, hense why theres no need for massive intakes of it, and im pretty sure it doesnt jsut get stored away for 3 months. phosphocreatine is the first source of energy we have. and we use it up very very fast. that first 3 seconds of sprinting as fast you can seems effortless, its all coming from PCr. and its depleted very fast, hence the slowing down and then all the huffing and panting. this is why im sure it doesnt get stored away for 3 months.

id say how you are taking it at the moment is fine, and if you are not getting any discomfort then it shouldnt be a problem. at the end of the day, its what works best for you, like we have both said, research looking in to its long term effects is sparse, and like most supplements, just says its ok and shouldnt cause you any problems. so id say do what works best for you, what you are doing at the moment is fine. taken 20g is excessive and a waste of money though, those body builders will try anything!

I have lost a lot of weight since my High School(9-12) days, in that time i wrestled and played Football(Soccer) for my school. Due to being on a Football scholarship i couldn't wrestle anymore, and my coach ordered me to drop 15-20 pounds so i can be quicker and agile on the pitch.

Now that i have graduated from uni for about two years and football days are behind me i am looking to gain a pretty good amount of muscle.

I have looked around the internet, and so far i gathered from bodybuilding.com and other similar sites that you need 1.5 grams per body pound. So for someone like me who is 6 feet 1, and 170 pounds, i need around 255 Grams daily. Now i always been successful at building muscle, i am pretty sure their recommendation is bullshit and it is a way for those sites to sell supplements. My wallet is not that deep to get that much protein on a regular basis.

So for someone like me who is looking to gain muscle pretty fast, does anyone know how much protein intake i need daily to be pretty effective at building muscle.

i dont work in lbs i work in kgs :P 170lbs is about 77kg

1-1.5g/kg/bm is what is reccomended here for someone that is highly active. for you, that works out at about 80-115g of protein a day. if you are doing some pretty intense strength training, and you say you have no problem gaining muscle, 100g should be more than enough.

you can have mroe protein than that if you want, but it will just be extra calories.... you say you are good at building muscle, so just do what you did when you were building muscle, but 100g is a target id set. if you go over or under that, if its not by much, you are perfectly fine.

spread it out throughout the day. and before bed, have Casein (protein in dairy products - go for low fat milk, low fat cheese etc) it keeps the protein synthesis going throughout the night.

try not to have more than 20g of protein in one sitting, the boy doesnt handle more than that very well.

that 255g of protein is mental. that works out at about 1050 Kcal from protein alone!..... that is insane and not needed at all!

i dont work in lbs i work in kgs :P 170lbs is about 77kg

1-1.5g/kg/bm is what is reccomended here for someone that is highly active. for you, that works out at about 80-115g of protein a day. if you are doing some pretty intense strength training, and you say you have no problem gaining muscle, 100g should be more than enough.

you can have mroe protein than that if you want, but it will just be extra calories.... you say you are good at building muscle, so just do what you did when you were building muscle, but 100g is a target id set. if you go over or under that, if its not by much, you are perfectly fine.

spread it out throughout the day. and before bed, have Casein (protein in dairy products - go for low fat milk, low fat cheese etc) it keeps the protein synthesis going throughout the night.

try not to have more than 20g of protein in one sitting, the boy doesnt handle more than that very well.

that 255g of protein is mental. that works out at about 1050 Kcal from protein alone!..... that is insane and not needed at all!

That is actually a conservative estimate from bodybuilding sites. lol

I think a 100g of protein is what i will shoot for, and most research i have done on non supplement selling sites seem to be recommending about that much.

I think a 100g of protein is what i will shoot for, and most research i have done on non supplement selling sites seem to be recommending about that much.

yeah, and honestly, if it makes you feel better, hitting 120g will do no harm. as long as you are doing your exercise its more than enough. there is no harm in taking a bit more if you want to be safe, but too much just leads to consuming unwanted calories. 80-115 grams is spot on. you hit that every day and you will be laughing! gotta do your traning though, no point in consuming it if it aint gonna be used!

@MetsajCFC, @dumps and @SinineUltra, thanks a lot! :)

I quit both because I got really pissed off that they didnt even tried to rearrange the training hours. I instanteneously regretted, but there is no turning back now...

I will begin next monday or the week after, so I will see how it woks. I just hope I receive a warm welcome hung froma very hot lady! :lol:

I think I have an evaluation in my first class, so if do receive the results and a training (which I think I will, I will post it here). I will also post how much weight I am lifting in each station....

Thanks once again! :D

To add on to what Dumps is saying, you should also make sure to get protein (preferably a faster digesting protein like whey) after a workout and when you wake up in the morning. From experience, I definitely would recommend whey. It's a cheap, low calorie method to get protein. I was extremely skeptical about whey and supplements in general, but I'll admit it's useful.

A good site to consult on all things training is bodybuilding.com. However, there are two caveats: 1) There are places where they try to sell you stuff, but you can generally find a wealth of non-commercial oriented info on here. 2) As the name suggests, it is focused on body building. It can be a bit over the top. However, there is a plethora of people of doctorates in related fields that provide quality nutritional info, and it's a great source for different exercises/programs. It also has a excellent search engine.

Anyway, best of luck to you Joker. I hope you achieve all your goals with your training program.