West Brom 2-1 Chelsea

Jase

Man Of The Match   

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

I think we all expected a Top 4 finish, problem is

I said from the summer that best we can get is 3rd this term and so far we are on the right path. Next season or at the very latest the season after is when should be bang in the mix in terms of the title race.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if you believed we were involved in one in the first place.

Yep, a comfortable Champions League qualification has been the plan all along and anything else is a bonus. Some people just got their expectations too high after the great start we had.

Something definitely needs to happen though, can't afford to keep losing many more points or it's going to get tough to finish third.

Alright enough with the overreactions. I swear this forum is filled with drama queens :rolleyes:

We played very well, dominated and should have won. We created enough chances to win it which is impressive as we played with 10 men for 65 mins, but we wasted most of them and Myhill made some fantastic saves. WBA were very very lucky. They were as clinical as possible, lucky not to concede on numerous occasions and the timing for their goals were perfect for them.

Really a one off match that's not worth dwelling uppon..

WOW, you clearly have not watched the same game I did...

We did not play very well, only when Mata came in and West Brom was already defendidng for their lives. No movement, short passes and infiltration for our attacking trio (Moses, Sturridge and Hazard), Cahill and Luiz were pure shit, Mikel had a good game but Romeu didnt help (they were passing through so easy and quick), Torres was Torres (did not even shoot) and we did not play with our heart.

We created a OK amount of chances, but we are UCL winners playing against a above mid table team. The convertion rating wasnt amazing, but it was not like we created 10 chances (look how many chances Barça, RM and Bayern create to score 3-4 goals). Myhill did made some fantastic saves, but it was not like we had to be winning by 4-2, you cant count that he wont make any.

I agree there are many drama queens around here, but we did not have a good game, that is for sure.

Yep, a comfortable Champions League qualification has been the plan all along and anything else is a bonus. Some people just got their expectations too high after the great start we had.

Something definitely needs to happen though, can't afford to keep losing many more points or it's going to get tough to finish third.

Tbf we are still performing well. We were outplayed in the CL by Juve and Shakhtar, but in the PL we have been the better side in every one of our matches ( Swansea probably deserved the draw ). Just need a bit of the mancs luck at the moment.

WOW, you clearly have not watched the same game I did...

We did not play very well, only when Mata came in and West Brom was already defendidng for their lives. No movement, short passes and infiltration for our attacking trio (Moses, Sturridge and Hazard), Cahill and Luiz were pure shit, Mikel had a good game but Romeu didnt help (they were passing through so easy and quick), Torres was Torres (did not even shoot) and we did not play with our heart.

We created a OK amount of chances, but we are UCL winners playing against a above mid table team. The convertion rating wasnt amazing, but it was not like we created 10 chances (look how many chances Barça, RM and Bayern create to score 3-4 goals). Myhill did made some fantastic saves, but it was not like we had to be winning by 4-2, you cant count that he wont make any.

I agree there are many drama queens around here, but we did not have a good game, that is for sure.

Well here is why I thought we played well:

- We completely dominated them in terms of possession

- We moved the ball well which is evident by the fact that we managed to create something with most attacks (put the ball in the box, create dangerous movement around it, take shots...etc)

- We had 20 shots in total. 12 corners.

- We were unlucky with our finishing, with the saves made by Myhill, and with pen decisions.

- We allowed them few chances ( granted they were clinical and scored two of them )

In short, we created more than enough chances to win it. Why did you think we did not play well?

- We moved the ball well which is evident by the fact that we managed to create something with most attacks (put the ball in the box, create dangerous movement around it, take shots...etc)

- We were unlucky with our finishing, with the saves made by Myhill, and with pen decisions.

- We allowed them few chances ( granted they were clinical and scored two of them )

In short, we created more than enough chances to win it. Why did you think we did not play well?

I thought we played awful unfortunately.

Yes we have more possession, and yes we have loads of pass but they were all clueless moves. We were clueless, slow and flat except those overhead through balls from Mata.

A bit like poor man Barca if you like, passing around the box and taking some random shots.

I said from the summer that best we can get is 3rd this term and so far we are on the right path.

Legitimate opinion, so my question to you is why? why do we need to settle for 3rd place when City and United arent looking that good in the league and in Europe, and our squad is pretty much in the same level? and lets say in January we'll get Falcao or Cavani or anyone else who can score lots of goals, what would you think about our chances?

The team doesnt look good enough at the moment, its mainly about very poor defense and poor finishing, definitely not look like champions... but what im saying is that City and United arent look too impresive to write us off so early.

1. Possession does not translate to good performance, we passed to the side and to wrong directions most of the times. No changing of position or infiltration to disorganize their system, Torres didnt go out of the box to open their defensive line, lack of long distance shots, etc.

2. We did not create enough chances and the ones created werent that clear, besides Sturridge at the end.

3. Most of our shots were off target and only 3 or 4 were real difficult shots. Again, if you look at how many chances big teams create and look at their convertion, we will be behind both.

4. Unlucky is not the right term, inaccurate works better. Also, there were no penalties.

5. They were clinical, but that was their purpose in the game (defend and score when there is chance). We are the one to blame for not stopping it. Should we have lost the UCL because we played the same way vs. Bacelona and Bayern?

6. Cahill and Luiz made silly mistakes (positioning, marking, air balls, cover, etc.) and our double pivot was not offering any resistence to their counters, they passed through it like hot knife and butter.

7. Oscar underperformed, that made our midfield lose a bit control at the end.

8. RDM did what he could, but if he was a bit more energetical at the sideline, we could have inflated the game a lot more.

9. No heart or will. Besides Mata, Azi and Sturridge it seemed that nobody was too bothered to have lost.

I think we did enough to draw, but we clearly did not perform well and did not deserved the win. We must give credit to Steve Clark for what he was able to do.

Really lost my patience watching torres game aftr game give shit performance consistently.......... :rant: :rant:

How was this same guy was Voted as one of the 100 greatest chelsea players ever in the new Chelsea Magazine as by fans?? :blink:

On the positive note mata, azpi and moses were excellent...

Legitimate opinion, so my question to you is why? why do we need to settle for 3rd place when City and United arent looking that good in the league and in Europe, and our squad is pretty much in the same level? and lets say in January we'll get Falcao or Cavani or anyone else who can score lots of goals, what would you think about our chances?

The team doesnt look good enough at the moment, its mainly about very poor defense and poor finishing, definitely not look like champions... but what im saying is that City and United arent look too impresive to write us off so early.

Because we are well and truly a work in progress, they are not.

25 points is to big a gap to rectify in 12 months, it will not only require us improving by 12-13 points, it will require both of them to do the same in the other direction, It just won't happen. We just finished 6th last term and we are making a radical change of our playing style, which will bring inconsistent results. Our only major changes to the first team so far are bringing in two 21 year old's, while in the future that should set up up pretty well, the idea they will close the huge gap between the Manc's club at such a young age is pure fantasy.

The future looks as good as it ever has been, but as the far as the title race goes, this season we will have to bite the bullet watch it from the distance again.

So bloody proud of our boys today, done our football club immsenely proud. I shall apologies in advance if this does offend you (although it isn't meant to). I appreciate some of you maybe a bit disappointed at the defeat and this isn't me gloating by any means.

I thought we were outstanding if I'm honest, we can play much better going forward, we're aware of that, but defensively, we were very good and although you had some good chances, it would have been bitterly disappointing had we conceded late on. It felt bad conceding late against Man City and I didn't want to experience those emotions today. Thankfully, the lads chucked their bodies on the line, played their hearts out and continued to do this football club proud. Shane Long lost his nan yesterday, yet went out and would have made her extremely proud today. Very dominant display alongside a well taken goal - He's been superb for us this season.

Again, Yacob and Mulumbu were terrific in the centre in disrupting your rhythm and protecting our back four. Mulumbu pulled his hamstring towards the end and signalled to come off yet he solidered on which was pleasing to see. Hopefully there's no lasting damage. Today's performance reminded me of a team "all in it together". Spirit, effort, willingness, passion, grit, strength, determination and quality in abundance and this is certainly the greatest Albion side I've ever seen. We'd be foolish not to enjoy this.

If Chelsea had a half decent striker, perhaps we would be cursing our luck and walking out with a defeat but such is football, it's never as easy as it's made out. You bumped into a highly motivated side who weren't going to give you an inch. Torres was poor, don't think he brought anything to the game. Hazard, undoubtebly your best player didn't get the ball enough, and Sturridge and Mata looked decent when they came off the bench - I have to pay credit to Boaz Myhill for some quite outstanding saves.

Atmosphere was very good too. Slightly disappointed with the Chelsea supporters as I expected much better in terms of noise, but The Hawthorns was rocking with 23,000 Albion supporters willing the boys on to get the victory.

Good luck for the remainder of the season

We know what we are!

So bloody proud of our boys today, done our football club immsenely proud. I shall apologies in advance if this does offend you (although it isn't meant to). I appreciate some of you maybe a bit disappointed at the defeat and this isn't me gloating by any means.

I thought we were outstanding if I'm honest, we can play much better going forward, we're aware of that, but defensively, we were very good and although you had some good chances, it would have been bitterly disappointing had we conceded late on. It felt bad conceding late against Man City and I didn't want to experience those emotions today. Thankfully, the lads chucked their bodies on the line, played their hearts out and continued to do this football club proud. Shane Long lost his nan yesterday, yet went out and made her extremely proud today. Very dominant display alongside a well taken goal - He's been superb for us this season.

Again, Yacob and Mulumbu were terrific in the centre in disrupting to your rhythm and protecting our back four. Mulumbu pulled his hamstring towards the end and signalled to come off yet he solidered on which was pleasing to see. Hopefully there's no lasting damage. Today's performance reminded me of a team "all in it together". Spirit, effort, willingness, passion, grit, strength, determination and quality in abundance and this is certainly the greatest Albion side I've ever seen. We'd be foolish not to enjoy this.

If Chelsea had a half decent striker, perhaps we would be cursing our luck and walking out with a defeat but such is football, it's never as easy as it's made out. You bumped into a highly motivated side who weren't going to give you an inch. Torres was poor, don't think he brought anything to the game. Hazard, undoubtebly your best player didn't get the ball enough, and Sturridge and Mata looked decent when they came off the bench - I have to pay credit to Boaz Myhill for some quite outstanding saves.

Atmosphere was very good too. Slightly disappointed with the Chelsea supporters as I expected much better in terms of noise, but The Hawthorns was rocking with 23,000 Albion supporters willing the boys on to get the victory.

Good luck for the remainder of the season

We know what we are!

LOL well done Liam - unfortunately we had an off-day and you guys capitalised :)

Luckily it was SC who won - so whilst a defeat is bitter - pleased that SC is doing his reputation no harm...

Good luck for the rest of the season, well at least until return fixture at SB :P

I think our fans are a bit frustrated at the moment - hence the lack of noise :P

EDIT: The GRIT/DETERMINATION part of your post - that typifies SC as a person and I guarantee thats what he has brought to the Team