Charly Musonda Jr.

Peppi85

58 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I confess I came to this thread expecting to read many assessments which disagree with mine. I therefore also expect that many members will disagree with me when I offer the opinion that Charly did not play all that well last night. Indeed I'd say it was a typical Charly Musonda performance; one that flattered to deceive.

Charly has good control, both of the football and of his movements. This allows him to buy himself a bit of time and space but then what? His goal was a rare moment of decisiveness. Much of the rest of the time he drew fouls. Why? Because he hadn't gone anywhere. He was still there, able to be challenged, able to be fouled.

Charly didn't, and typically doesn't, use the momentary advantages he creates to move himself and/or the ball beyond his direct opponent. Instead he squares himself up preparing to take on the opponent again. Those opponents are professional footballers. They will close your space, they will disposes you or, when it suits them, they will foul to convert what might be a big problem for their team into a smaller one.

There is a strand in some players' football DNA which makes them enjoy looking poised, calm and in control. Charly has that about him. He needs to learn that it is more profitable to be effective, than to look good. He is not effectve enough, often enough and will not succeed at the highest level until and unless this changes.

Some people are as happy with what they saw from Charly last night as many were with his displays at Betis. I thought, and said, it was a mistake then, and I believe it's a mistake now. We fans can afford to make that mistake but Charly mustn't. He must assess the real value of his output and seek to improve it.

Actually your assessment is quite fair, i doubt you will find many who know a thing or two about football that will disagree with you. Everything you said about his performance tonight is spot on imo, it wasn't anything spectacular IF you judge him by the standards of a finished product, or a professional footballer like you said. Well, Charly is not a finished product yet, he just had his first 90 minutes with us.

Like many guys have said in numerous occasions, the most important factor for a young player's development is playing time, especially when the talent is granted, like in Charly's case. Tonight's match was the perfect chance for him to go in there and play against professional footballers and build up his confidence (the goal also helped a ton in that respect), which is exactly what he needs at this point.

I think that most of the guys, including myself, were really happy with his performance not only because he showed he has the skills (which we knew anyway), but also the eagerness to stay here with us and work hard to prove that he deserves to wear the Chelsea shirt, instead of going somewhere else like Solanke. That for me is invaluable, i want to finally see young players who are willing to give everything they can to play for our club.

The improvement in the aspects of his game that you mentioned, will only come through hard work AND gaming time. i think that staying here and working with Conte will help him become more pragmatic with his approach of the game. By staying here he can also train with world class players, and that is something that many disregard but imo helps a lot in the development of a young player  He just needs to be given as many chances as possible to play.

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I confess I came to this thread expecting to read many assessments which disagree with mine. I therefore also expect that many members will disagree with me when I offer the opinion that Charly did not play all that well last night. Indeed I'd say it was a typical Charly Musonda performance; one that flattered to deceive.

Charly has good control, both of the football and of his movements. This allows him to buy himself a bit of time and space but then what? His goal was a rare moment of decisiveness. Much of the rest of the time he drew fouls. Why? Because he hadn't gone anywhere. He was still there, able to be challenged, able to be fouled.

Charly didn't, and typically doesn't, use the momentary advantages he creates to move himself and/or the ball beyond his direct opponent. Instead he squares himself up preparing to take on the opponent again. Those opponents are professional footballers. They will close your space, they will disposes you or, when it suits them, they will foul to convert what might be a big problem for their team into a smaller one.

There is a strand in some players' football DNA which makes them enjoy looking poised, calm and in control. Charly has that about him. He needs to learn that it is more profitable to be effective, than to look good. He is not effectve enough, often enough and will not succeed at the highest level until and unless this changes.

Some people are as happy with what they saw from Charly last night as many were with his displays at Betis. I thought, and said, it was a mistake then, and I believe it's a mistake now. We fans can afford to make that mistake but Charly mustn't. He must assess the real value of his output and seek to improve it.

I agree. He lacks the cutting edge which will get him goals and assists right now. He has excellent technique, but isn't experienced enough yet to make the most of it. I also think his range of passing isnt that great. Furthermore he is really weak physically and lost almost every shoulder to shoulder challenge.
I really liked the guy and hope he gets some opportunities to develop his weaknesses though. 

11 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Disagree.

The one-two he created with Michy...

The Ronaldo chop, that help him cut outside and send a runner through the middle. 

His goal... 

The ball over the top from Fabs... 

He turned his player inside out a few times and was greeted with more simply due to being that good. 

You're almost penalising him for being poised, bracing or squaring up and taking contact. He played smart. He played against team that had a lot of numbers behind the ball. 

13 hours ago, Thor said:

Disagree.

The one-two he created with Michy...

The Ronaldo chop, that help him cut outside and send a runner through the middle. 

His goal... 

The ball over the top from Fabs... 

He turned his player inside out a few times and was greeted with more simply due to being that good. 

You're almost penalising him for being poised, bracing or squaring up and taking contact. He played smart. He played against team that had a lot of numbers behind the ball. 

He also made a clever over the top pass to Hazard wich almost brought him alone before goal (Hazard had to cut inside and hit the post). He also reads the game pretty well, and is comfotable to pick up the ball from deep and move it forward. There's a reason Adi Viveash played him at central midfield in the uefa youth league.

Yep. Charly is an ‘aesthetic’ player, looks good on the eye but hasn’t got great substance to his play. Like most things he does literally just looks good on the eye but it usually doesn’t actually advance the team going forward. RLC kind of has the same problem. 

He needs consistent game time in my opinion so he can get more of a feel for the adult game. Won’t happen here, but yeah. 

Would be a shame to see him leave in the next year without being given a real chance.

6 hours ago, Shakez said:

He also made a clever over the top pass to Hazard wich almost brought him alone before goal (Hazard had to cut inside and hit the post). He also reads the game pretty well, and is comfotable to pick up the ball from deep and move it forward. There's a reason Adi Viveash played him at central midfield in the uefa youth league.

That is another thing I mentioned in pre season. He looked even more comfortable in the middle for me. His dribbling was top notch through the middle and he seemed to play more direct. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, the wes said:

Swear that guy is deluded. He’s obviously a Belgian journalist. I think if he was the best player Belgium have produced he’d be playing every week, wouldn’t you? Obviously he means best talent but talent isn’t necessarily enough and the wa modern day footballs going, players now have to work even harder than they’ve ever had to, to understand what to do tactically (tactics, formations, philosophies/playing styles whatever have come a long way), how to be more effective, how to be and keep in the best physical shape.

He should use Hazard as an example, Benitez and Mourinho drilled tactical instructions into him that made him a more balanced player, he has matured as well and became more effective in front of goal/decision making/use of the ball and is all and all a good athlete.

Charly still has a long way to go, his decision making especially along with the physical side which sure it will come, just like Christensen (but to be fair he plays like someone with 250 appearances to their name), there are too many wide players now a days that can dribble into space (which is a useful outlet for certain teams) but get an absolute brain freeze once they get into the final third and have to make a crucial decision or lack a final ball/pass, Pedro and Willian for instance do at times or guys like Oxlade Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, Jesse Lingard, Wilf Zaha, Andros Townsend etc, I’d hate to see someone with Charlys potential go into that bracket of players, sure some of them aren’t necessary bad players but it would be a waste. But still, he needs work, I don’t think keeping him in the squad was the best move but perhaps the lack of investment in wide areas in the summer forced Conte’s hand.

Could he be talking about Belgium national team? As with RLC, I could easily see Musonda choosing to leave here and become a star for a direct PL rival if they aren't given a proper chance soon. Imperative that both are kept.

Could he be talking about Belgium national team? As with RLC, I could easily see Musonda choosing to leave here and become a star for a direct PL rival if they aren't given a proper chance soon. Imperative that both are kept.
There's been talk of Arsenal & Utd looking into his situation recently. I hope another one doesn't just walk out of the club

2 hours ago, Blusan Alamb said:

Kakuta...Stoch....Josh...Lalkovic....Piazon....Feruz.....Chalobah..............................................and............................ Musonda!

Are you suggesting those player's were hard done by? If those were our attacking option's this season we would be outright favorite's for relegation.

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

His brother, Lamisha commented on the post and said "It's starting to look like they wouldn't know what they have if they had Ronaldo or Messi coming out of the academy. Smh".

So that virtually confirms Charly is referring to us. Can understand his frustration but that is not going to help things. That being said, it will boil me over if we end up losing him because of lack of opportunity because the talent is clearly there and if he is able to fulfil his potential can be a top player. But he has a point, he will continue to be overlooked unless of injuries in the team due to the players ahead of him. He only has realistic chances of proving himself in the cup competitions.

Hopefully Musonda makes an apology and the club are able to progress contract talks going forward and Musonda is given assurances of his future here because it will be frustrating to see a top talent leave due to lack of opportunity and then go to another rival and start playing.