Spurs vs Chelsea

BlueLion.

Ivanovic has come up against Bale three times and owned him every time so i don't know where you got that idea from.

Ivanovic played against Spurs once last year and he started as a CB (Bosingwa and then Ferreira as RB) had to come off in the 32nd minute. The year before, he played twice, once as a central defender and once at RB. So, he's played one full match at RB against Spurs and did OK,cContaining Bale pretty well and fouling him a 4 times but...that was 2 years ago and Ivanovic's positioning has been poor this year. Also, that team didn't need Ivanovic to get forward as much. This squad needs Ivanovic to provide width. It's possible he'll contain Bale but I think he'll need help.

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TorontoChelsea,

Remember the match at WHL in 2010? we were 2-0 down and Bale was running riot, Ivanovic came on the pitch and Bale might aswell have been subbed off at that moment..

As you mentioned he did a number on him in the Stamford Bridge game a year later then as i just mentioned a few weeks ago for Serbia Bale's influence from open play was pretty much void, why? because of Ivan.

Bale might get the better of him this time, who knows? but that battle is far from the biggest worry for us, im actually more worried about Lennon vs Cole.

@TorontoChelsea,

Remember the match at WHL in 2010? we were 2-0 down and Bale was running riot, Ivanovic came on the pitch and Bale might aswell have been subbed off at that moment..

As you mentioned he did a number on him in the Stamford Bridge game a year later then as i just mentioned a few weeks ago for Serbia Bale's influence from open play was pretty much void, why? because of Ivan.

Bale might get the better of him this time, who knows? but that battle is far from the biggest worry for us, im actually more worried about Lennon vs Cole.

I disagree. I think it's exactly the biggest worry for us. I read very little into histories of player versus player when there is such a tiny sample size. (And none when its international match especially when it's a poor side like Wales that are easy to shut down.) We're talking about a match and a half 2, 3 years ago in a different system with different coaches and different players. The game you're referring to at WHL for example, we played a 4-3-3 with Deco giving cover to the RB. To me, that has no bearing on Saturday's game. My worry is based on this season. Ivanovic's defensive positioning has been poor. Chelsea play a narrow style that requires the fullbacks to get forward and then doesn't give them a lot of help defensively. Spurs like to use their wings to attack but also like to get their fullbacks forward. Walker and Vertonghen get forward a lot. I am worried about Cole as well but his positioning is usually excellent and Bale is better than Lennon. (Mostly worry about Walker overlapping on that side)

@TorontoChelsea,

nah. Cole is a better defender, Cole is quicker and Lennon is not great. Ivanovic has been all over the place while defending and Bale is a much better winger

Think Moses could do with a start, this would be the right game to start with some width.

few plus points to that

- he offers width as you said

- he has got a good defensive side to his game - strong and quick

- spurs fullbacks will be overlapping and moses will find some space out wide on the counter

- one of the maestros will be rested for shakhtar

but he was poor against Wolves. needs to be much better against Vertonghen(?)

I disagree. I think it's exactly the biggest worry for us. I read very little into histories of player versus player when there is such a tiny sample size. (And none when its international match especially when it's a poor side like Wales that are easy to shut down.) We're talking about a match and a half 2, 3 years ago in a different system with different coaches and different players. The game you're referring to at WHL for example, we played a 4-3-3 with Deco giving cover to the RB. To me, that has no bearing on Saturday's game. My worry is based on this season. Ivanovic's defensive positioning has been poor. Chelsea play a narrow style that requires the fullbacks to get forward and then doesn't give them a lot of help defensively. Spurs like to use their wings to attack but also like to get their fullbacks forward. Walker and Vertonghen get forward a lot. I am worried about Cole as well but his positioning is usually excellent and Bale is better than Lennon. (Mostly worry about Walker overlapping on that side)

Walker's form at the start of the season has been terrible aswell, if were going to base form on what could happen in this game we might aswell not bother tracking Walker because all his crosses will go into row z and he isn't the most intelligent footballer at the best of times.

nah. Cole is a better defender, Cole is quicker and Lennon is not great. Ivanovic has been all over the place while defending and Bale is a much better winger

Cole for some reason has always had trouble with pacey wingers, Walcott handed his arse to him in the 5-3 last season, Valencia's done it a few times as has Lennon himself.

few plus points to that

- he offers width as you said

- he has got a good defensive side to his game - strong and quick

- spurs fullbacks will be overlapping and moses will find some space out wide on the counter

- one of the maestros will be rested for shakhtar

but he was poor against Wolves. needs to be much better against Vertonghen(?)

I don't actually rate Vertonghen's defensive side, which is why i would start Moses to have a go at him, we could get some serious joy.

Cole for some reason has always had trouble with pacey wingers, Walcott handed his arse to him in the 5-3 last season, Valencia's done it a few times as has Lennon himself.

I don't actually rate Vertonghen's defensive side, which is why i would start Moses to have a go at him, we could get some serious joy.

moses in for whom?

moses in for whom?

Fuk knows but we need width for this one as we won't get much from Gallas and Caulker add that to Dembele and Sandro infront were be asking for trouble playing without width.

Think Moses could do with a start, this would be the right game to start with some width.

why? we don't necessarily need width against teams who don't park the bus. Hazard, Mata and Oscar should get a lot of space to exploit and cause them all kinds of problems.

why? we don't necessarily need width against teams who don't park the bus. Hazard, Mata and Oscar should get a lot of space to exploit and cause them all kinds of problems.

True, but against one of the, if not the, widest teams in the league, having an actual winger out there could balance out the pitch.

Any updates on Supa or Bertrand? I think both could be influential in this match. I hope Bertrand plays & shows avb he fucked up w/ not playing the kid. BTW, I am in Osaka & plan to represent the Blues in a viewing partying w/ some spudz fans ;) I promise I won't start a fight, but I will let them know that they are spudz in our eyes ;)

Any updates on Supa or Bertrand? I think both could be influential in this match. I hope Bertrand plays & shows avb he fucked up w/ not playing the kid. BTW, I am in Osaka & plan to represent the Blues in a viewing partying w/ some spudz fans ;) I promise I won't start a fight, but I will let them know that they are spudz in our eyes ;)

Nothing as of yet but I would think they should recover in time for Saturday. Lampard only had a minor knee problem while Bertrand suffered a virus. They SHOULD be alright for this game.