Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Iron Miss Out On Smith Loan Deal

Iron miss out on Smith loan deal

Scunthorpe United have missed out on signing Chelsea midfielder Jimmy Smith on loan after the player's agent spurned an approach.

Iron manager Nigel Adkins told BBC Radio Humberside: "We did show an interest in Jimmy Smith.

"Chelsea were quite keen on it but his agent has not been keen and agents rule the world at this moment in time."

The 21-year-old played nine times on loan at Norwich earlier in the season but a deal with United is now unlikely.

Adkins had been keen on the midfielder and said: "He's got Championship experience and he's scored goals in the Championship from a midfield point of view.

"It's all up in the open, but I'll be perfectly honest, we want people who are going to be totally committed to the cause at this moment in time.

"I want people with the right attitude who are going to be with us for the next 10 games because we have got to be up for the fight."

Adkins added: "You never say never, but I think it's going to be unlikely now."

_44483687_jimmysmith203.jpgscreen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window\nCTRL+Mouse wheel to zoom in/out';}" onmouseover="if(this.width>screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.style.cursor='hand'; this.alt='Click here to open new window\nCTRL+Mouse wheel to zoom in/out';}" onclick="if(!this.resized) {return true;} else {window.open('http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44483000/jpg/_44483687_jimmysmith203.jpg');}" onmousewheel="return imgzoom(this);" alt="" border="0">

Smith has spent time on loan at QPR and Norwich (Getty)