How to beat Chelsea: According to the Atletico Madrid manager

coolhead23

How to beat Chelsea

According to the Atletico Madrid manager

Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone has explained to Juventus how to stop Champions League opponents Chelsea.

The Old Lady will travel to London later this month on their return to Europe’s premier club competition.

And after thrashing Chelsea 4-1 in the recent European Super Cup tie, Simeonehas revealed their game plan.

“The players followed my orders to perfection,” the former Lazio and Inter midfielder stated. “Branislav Ivanovic on the right can be surpassed, Mikel plays horizontally, Gary Cahill and David Luiz never participate in the construction of the game.

“So we opted to press heavily, even doubling up and tripling up on FrankLampard, Eden Hazard and Juan Mata – opting to neglect the others.

“It was a risk that paid off. Juventus can do the same, even if boss Antonio Contedoesn’t need my advice.

“He’s a winner, like Manchester City’s Roberto Mancini, as well as the greatest of them all – Jose Mourinho.”

http://sillyseason.com/football/premier-league/chelsea-fc/articles/how-beat-chelsea

Maybe this was just one off .... but it makes sense. Interesting review from the opposition manager (not an reliable site though)

Thoughts

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything that he said makes sense. Aggressive pressure on our midfield has often worked for the opponents, because we are often static and slow in that department, hence the frequent backpasses to goalkeeper, who has no other option but to hoof it and we naturally lose the ball without DD. To counter it we should start exploiting the spaces left in the final third by their high press more effectively, which other teams often do against us when we go further up - a quick pass to the striker/attacking midfielder/winger and quick combinations in front of the backline without giving them chance to properly recover.

That is the reason why I think Mikel and Lampard pivot isn't a permanent solution - Lampard, when under pressure, can't hold onto the ball and opts for the safe backpass... while Mikel, who can hold on, plays mostly horizontally or not quick enough directly, so the opponents can drop back and anticipate the forward pass, in which case we need to start playing positional attack again, which hinders our quick new attacking players in a congested area and tempo.

The bits about Mikel playing horizontally and Lampard folding when pressed are spot on, but I'm more than sure that Robbie would've noticed those problems too. Onwards and upwards boys... no reason to dwell on a game where the lack of fight and care in our players played as big a role as the tactics of the opposition.

Don't get this Simeone guy, he states obvious facts and makes out hes fucking Einstein. Tell me what midfielders don't play a safe pass/loose the ball when pressured heavily by two or more players, they all either do the safe thing or end up loosing the ball. Hes just done the logical thing and pressurized our team, which most teams try to do now since Barca and Spain have came to prominence doing it. NOT LIKE HES FUCKING CAME UP WITH THE IDEA HIMSELF, WHAT A DICKHEAD. :Goober:

Anyway its not like hes tactically masterminded how to beat Barca (despite having 10 men and being 2-0 down at the Nou Camp) or win the CL final despite being second best in the whole game..... is it?

The primary reason we lost was our attitude. If the players gave a single fuck it would've been a completely different game, and I doubt Simeone would be talking now.

You miss the point. This game was one of many in the last ~2 years. We often look lost against big teams with established game plans. Too often I've heard commentators saying we play without purpose or direction, I don't like to hear that but I can't disagree with it either. I don't think it's solely about attitude, and even if it is, then our players' mentality is too complacent. We get to point A again, because we haven't had a manager who's had a chance to establish his style. And somewhy when we hit a rocky patch, it's really bad and hard to get out of. Our team has been too inconsistent in the last few years, we can play either brilliantly or terribly.

You miss the point. This game was one of many in the last ~2 years. We often look lost against big teams with established game plans. Too often I've heard commentators saying we play without purpose or direction, I don't like to hear that but I can't disagree with it either. I don't think it's solely about attitude, and even if it is, then our players' mentality is too complacent. We get to point A again, because we haven't had a manager who's had a chance to establish his style. And somewhy when we hit a rocky patch, it's really bad and hard to get out of. Our team has been too inconsistent in the last few years, we can play either brilliantly or terribly.

I agree with your point about our game plan.

But as I already said, I highly doubt it would have been the same game if our players really cared about winning. Scenes like the one in which Cahill just let the opponent slip away without even really bothering about that we could concede another goal finish me off.