Michael Ballack

Magic Lamps

Yo

with Raul Moreorless more than less off to Istanbul, it could get a bit holey in midfield, considering Lamps age, Mikel going to Africa in winter, Romeu not known for his consistency. Michael Ballack is probably closest to a deep-lying midfielder we can get and has played some good games for Leverkusen last season.His break with them was rather due to their coach having lost it rather than Ballack's inability. Never really liked him here until he settled into his deeper role. He is a fairly nice guy so why not invite him to a trial and see how fit he is? I only worry about his mobility as he is a pretty big guy, too, but even though our youth policy we could use a bit of his experience and heading abilites esp. IMO he left us too early.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotten sooo much shit over the years for this, but for some reason I can't quite explain, I actually prefer him over Lampard.

Not as a person, but... there's just something so intense about him when he's on the pitch. He has that "Never Say Die" attitude still at this age which Lamps seems to have lost.

Would love him back here, but can't see it.

I posted this in the Meireles thread: http://thebluemark.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/bring-back-michael-ballack/

And it might be just my sentiments talking, but I find it hard to argue with the reasoning behind that article. We are clearly short on cover in the double pivot, saying otherwise is just kidding ourselves. And since the window has closed, we really don't have much choices. Yes, he way over his prime and probably can't play more than 3-4 matches a month, but he showed last year in the CL that he is still more than capable of producing world class performances, just rewatch our game vs Leverkusen at the bridge and you'll see what I mean. He is also a great personality and influence on the pitch. He knows Chelsea very well, is a very loved character at the club and is still in touch with everybody here (He was at the Super Cup "Supporting my friends" as he said).

Of course this is just us fans discussing this, for all we know the board might not have even considered the possibility or resigning Michael.

He left at the right time imo and if we sign him now it will just be desperate. He's still a good player and i appreciate what he gave us in the past but we need to look to someone else and not go backwards.

He left at the right time imo and if we sign him now it will just be desperate. He's still a good player and i appreciate what he gave us in the past but we need to look to someone else and not go backwards.

Until Jan, he is probably our only option, unless you another ex-worldclass CM who is currently a free agent. I don't that anyone is saying that he can be a starter here, but we can't go on for 3 month with only 3 real CMs (Mikel, Lamps and Oriol). Whats wrong with giving him a 3-4 months contract just so we'd have a back up if we a get a couple of injuries in the middle?

I would take him no matter what people say about him being 'old' and 'leaving at the right time' and that 'we need to move forward'. I imagine it would only be temporary or semi-permanent and sometimes you need to take a step back to go forward in the bigger picture

A massive influential personality and a top professional. I believe he has had a number of big money offers to play in the MLS and the Middle East but I think he is still weighing up his options because he feels he can still have one last hurrah at the top level - that is the character and desire of the man.

I don't care if people outside of the club see it as a sign of desperation - Liverpool resigned what many considered a finished Robbie Fowler and he provided very capable backup for them. Arsenal did the same with Henry. Man Utd with Scholes. Hell even Spurs brought back Klinsmann to help them out of trouble. There is no shame in it for either party.

During a busy period around Xmas, what if we have Mikel at the African Cup of Nations and Lampard injured. I don't doubt the ability of Romeu, Ramires and Oscar but teams will look to expose an inexperienced and physically weak looking midfield. Ballack could add some real steel and experience in times of need. We could also use him in the domestic cups and also a few games in our U-21 league as an overage player. Some of the younger players having the opportunity to play alongside him would be fantastic for them.

I personally think Ballack would relish the chance and wouldn't be surprised if he played for this season and then hung up his boots at the top level and took on some sort of ambassadorial or coaching role like Vieira at City. Would take him in a heartbeat.

Hmm. Ballack till the end of the season? I don't know. Someone might just be available in January, the club might be looking at that instead of someone like Ballack.

Saying that I wouldn't mind him here at all.

There's a lot of games before January. As the cliche goes you can't win the competitions by then but you can lose them!