Josep Guardiola and Chelsea: Paradise Lost or Regained?

Spike

A question has been ominously looming over Chelsea Football Club the last few weeks: who will be the manager of the club in the oncoming seasons? Many names have been nominated as potential managers; from The Special One to Les Bleus Sélectionneur, Laurent Blanc. But it seems to have boiled down to Roberto Di Matteo and Josep Guardiola. Both candidates footballing ethos is pillared on attacking but the core philosophies could not be any more different. Robbie v Pep has seemingly created a divide between fans concerning the future of the club. Most know what Di Matteo is capable of but not many appreciate Guardiola and he tactical nous. Guardiola is called out for having the best team on the planet, but it does take considerable skill to implement a new philosophy into a football club, even if the club has the best squad in the world.

Guardiola’s main tactics is the 4-3-3 but he has used the 3-4-3 when the situation requires it. The 4-3-3 is the birth child of the Dutch school footballing philosophy “totaalvoetbal” or ‘total football’ in English. Total Football demands intense concentration, superb technical skills, fantastic stamina and the ability to play in multiple positions; such physically and mentally demanding football typically yields positive results. But over an entire season the exhaustion from such demands may take form in complacency and inconsistency.

Guardiola however has evolved total football into what is now known as “tiqui-taca” or ‘tiki-taka’ in English. Tiki-taka forsakes the need for players to be able to occupy different positions on the pitch and replaces it with ball retention. One of the main aspects of tiki-taka is to hold possession of the ball for as long as possible. Such a heavy emphasis on ball retention demands that the CBs and FBs to play a highline and routinely get involved in the attacking phase. To be truly successful the highline requires pace, positional awareness and ball playing skills. One concise counterattack can usually lead to a goal especially if the defensive line is caught too forward or the pace of the CBs is poor.

Another specific need for tika-taka is a Target Man or a Trequartista for the CF position. It necessary for the CF to have good vision, dribbling and passing skills as the 4-3-3 relies on the CF to be the centre of the attack, dropping deep to gather the ball, holding up play, creating chances and of course scoring goals. A poacher who uses pace and off the ball awareness is essentially useless in this formation as it alienates the attacking threat from the midfield and the two wingers.

The wingers are played as Inverted Wingers in Guardiola’s tactics; meaning that a left footed player will be deployed on the right and right footers will be played on the left. This is to create a larger goal threat by essentially play three strikers. Not much width is provided with this style due to the wingers cutting in and shooting, rather than hugging the touchline and crossing the ball for the CF. This tactic is a double edged sword, while the wingers may be scoring more goals, the stronger emphasis on shooting may result in a loss of creativity. During the Champions League final between Chelsea and Bayern Munich, Bayern deployed two inverted wingers; Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery. Bayern suffered a loss of creativity when Robben deciede to take the game into his own hands. Opting to shoot rather than pass, Robben had taken ten shots at goal. He scored zero goals that much and Bayern ended up the losers.

The midfield trio is possibly the most important aspect of tiki-taka. Not only do they maintain the possession the most but they offer the highest work rate in both the attacking and defending phases. The midfield is expected to press high up the pitch and win the ball back as quickly as possible. Guardiola typically used a combination of two CMs and a DM. One CM would occupy a more attacking role, with a licence to hold on to the ball, create space and to attack. While the other CM is used as a Regista (or Deep Lying Playmaker) whose main priority is to dictate the tempo of the game and offer cover defensively. The DM is mainly used as cover for the CBs when they venture forward, break up play in the opposing midfield and to offer support to the player in the Regista role.

Half of Chelsea’s squad seems to be designed for the philosophy of tiki-taka but the over half are so poorly suited, it would recreate the disaster under André Villas-Boas. The forward areas save for Fernando Torres would really be suited for Guardiola’s tactics but the defence and midfield would suffer. And 1/3 of the team prospering cannot justify 2/3 regressing.

asdasdasdsadasdasdasdas.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Few grammatical errors aside, a decent attempt.

It's quid pro quo.

I'm usually pretty good with grammar. I was lazy this time as I didn't proof read. I wrote at a high tempo, so I realise how blunt my article is.

I'll give you feedback later. I'm too hungry right now.

Nice read mate.

Will be particularly interesting to see whether Torres can take on the "Trequartista" role. As opposed to most Spanish strikers, he has a strong build, and is an aerial threat. His passing and footwork should serve him well, when it comes to hold-up/build up play.

With more natural wingers coming in, the front 3 of that 4-3-3 should become more viable.

Nice read mate.

Will be particularly interesting to see whether Torres can take on the "Trequartista" role. As opposed to most Spanish strikers, he has a strong build, and is an aerial threat. His passing and footwork should serve him well, when it comes to hold-up/build up play.

With more natural wingers coming in, the front 3 of that 4-3-3 should become more viable.

The only problem is that Torres throughout his entire career before he joined Chelsea was a poacher. He would use his pace to beat the defensive line and get one-on-one with the keeper.

The only problem is that Torres throughout his entire career before he joined Chelsea was a poacher. He would use his pace to beat the defensive line and get one-on-one with the keeper.

True, that's how he was used. But he's become a better team-player with us, so we'll see whether he can adapt next season.

Why do you even bother posting then? If you didn't read it, don't bother replying. But I guess BlueLion was right about you. You are limited to one sentence posts and animated gifs.This isn't fucking /b.

Try to redeem yourself in the future.

Why do you even bother posting then? If you didn't read it, don't bother replying. But I guess BlueLion was right about you. You are limited to one sentence posts and animated gifs.This isn't fucking /b.

Try to redeem yourself in the future.

I actually did read after posting that. When I entered the thread I didn't read it because I can't read the whole thing in 1 second, hence the did not read was appropriate at that time, so no need to get depressed brah.

And who the listens to this guy..

419014_10150614599541428_686296427_.jpg

I actually did read after posting that. When I entered the thread I didn't read it because I can't read the whole thing in 1 second, hence the did not read was appropriate at that time, so no need to get depressed brah.

And who the listens to this guy..

Why post before you read it? You make no sense some times, it's as if you are a walking contradiction. There is a reason why BlueLion's opinion is held in such high esteerm.

You are not derailing my thread. This is the last time I will reply to you.

Interesting reading, mate!

Half of Chelsea’s squad seems to be designed for the philosophy of tiki-taka but the over half are so poorly suited, it would recreate the disaster under André Villas-Boas.

unless the board decided it's time to rebuild instead of offering long-term deals to useless peole, but this is another story and I'm not so optimistic about Gourlay and co.

I personally don't like tiki-taka, so probably I'm the last one on this forum who can talk about it.