Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with that article..

Vidal is the one that should of been sold for 20 million, not Schurrle.

We should play hardball with Leverkusen...15 million (maximum) or no deal.

So whoever wrote that article thinks we're paying Leverkusen over £20m and give them the 15-20m rated De Bruyne permanently on top of that as well. Yeah sure, like that's ever going to happen. :doh:

And he also says getting Schürrle means the money spent on Oscar will all go down the drain because he won't get in the team with this new big money signing coming in and apparently Lukaku and Feruz aren't going to make it at the club either. What the hell, isn't that taking things a bit too far? In case they haven't noticed, our squad is seriously lacking depth and Oscar, Mata and Hazard are all on like 65 games this season. What if one of them had gotten injured this season, would we simply have played Benayoun week-in week-out as a regular? And now he thinks we should go into the next season without adding more depth? It's quite obvious that guy doesn't really care much for Chelsea and tries to think everything the worst possible way from Chelsea's point of view to make the club look bad in the eyes of the readers so I honestly don't give a fuck what he says about Andre Schürrle. Most football experts rate him highly and he's been good most of the times I've personally seen him play and I trust my own judgement way more than that of some hack writer's.

Not that I put much thought to such things but purely statistically-wise he can't have been too bad this season, having gained an average rating of 7.65 on WhoScored, second best of the Leverkusen team behind the Bundesliga top goalscorer Stefan Kießling. That's way better than any of our players this year (Hazard leading with 7.30). Again, I don't think anyone should form their opinions on players based only on stuff like this but just saying that most people apart from this fraud of a journalist seem to rate Schürrle so he's got to be doing something right on the football pitch.

Plenty of other options out there for the position if this deal won't happen so we shouldn't let Leverkusen rip us off here. Would welcome Schürrle to the club with open arms but don't mind if we look elsewhere either should Leverkusen get too greedy.

Agree with that article..

Vidal is the one that should of been sold for 20 million, not Schurrle.

We should play hardball with Leverkusen...15 million (maximum) or no deal.

Completely agree. I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how he's better than Sturridge, who we sold for what, 11 mil?

He's not as technically gifted on the ball, can't hold it up as well, isn't any better shooting the ball, isn't any faster, and really isn't that much better of a passer since he's poor at that like Sturridge.

I just don't see why we're buying the same player for a bigger price.

Completely agree. I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how he's better than Sturridge, who we sold for what, 11 mil?

He's not as technically gifted on the ball, can't hold it up as well, isn't any better shooting the ball, isn't any faster, and really isn't that much better of a passer since he's poor at that like Sturridge.

I've read some of the comments on this players thread...and I still don't see what the big fuss is about.

I get that he's still young and he can improve his overall game...but he's still a squad player at best.

I also understand that we lack squad depth...but is spending 20 million on squad depth the right thing to do?

I'd be happy with Hazard, Mata, Oscar and De Bruyne taking turns as the 3 attacking midfielders...as long as we SOLVE our CM/DM issues.

Sturridge is a greedy fucker and is someone that can disrupt the dressing room. I remember always raging when he played for us as he would infuriate me with his decision making and row z shots, I'm glad he is gone to scumpool.

how apt is the saying THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE in this case.

we sold sturridge for 12 mil and getting this guy for 20mil and would probably even lose kdb.

similarly we bought marin and let go off kalou. how did that pan out for us? atleast kalou could have started 10-15 games for us this season and taken some pressure off mazacar. this buy seems to be in the same vain. not excited.

how apt is the saying THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE in this case.

we sold sturridge for 12 mil and getting this guy for 20mil and would probably even lose kdb.

similarly we bought marin and let go off kalou. how did that pan out for us? atleast kalou could have started 10-15 games for us this season and taken some pressure off mazacar. this buy seems to be in the same vain. not excited.

Marko Marin was a cheap gamble in case we hadn't won the Champions League and gotten the likes of Eden Hazard and Oscar. His last international match was in nearly two years prior to the transfer and he had since been injured quite a lot so it was obvious not many people rated him at the time. Someone at the Chelsea board saw room for improvement there and thought it would be good to see whether he can stay injury free and reach his once world class potential. Turns out he couldn't but who cares, we can sell him with 5mil easily with the reputation he has because surely there's someone willing to take the same risk we did to see if he can still become the player he was once touted to become. It's no shame to not get in the team when there's players like Hazard and Mata playing ahead of you in the same position, there aren't many players in the whole world right now who would get ahead of those guys in the pecking order.

Also, I liked Kalou but I still think it was the right move to let him go. He was on nearly £100k a week ffs, is that the kind of money the club should be paying for a player who 'could have started 10-15 games'? Marin is hardly on any more than £40k which is more reasonable for a squad player than Kalou's wages. Sure even that seems like much in hindsight considering how little Marin played in the end but like I said it was a gamble that didn't pay off, shit happens.

Now let's take Sturridge, he had only six months left on his contract and wanted to leave for Liverpool where he was certain to play more games in his favoured striker position so what could the club have done to stop him from going? If he hadn't gone for £12m in January, he would be going for free next month.

And I seriously doubt we would lose De Bruyne to Leverkusen in Schürrle's potential transfer to Chelsea. If we lose KdB, it will be for Dortmund because they really seem to want this guy and are willing to give him a big role in the team after Götze goes. Like I've said countless of times, under no circumstances should the club even consider selling De Bruyne but Schürrle's transfer hardly has anything to do with that discussion when it's been clear for a while now that he won't be going to Leverkusen, at least permanently. And it's not like Schürrle coming in would be the one to drive KdB away from the club knowing he will never get in the team because they're completely different type of players and everyone knows we need more depth and quality on the wings and Schürrle also offers a decent third choice for CF as well.

A. Schurrle is 99 % ready to come to Chelsea regardless of the price. The price for him should not be debated here.

The main thing is whether he will help the club. Certainly, he is a very good player, in my view.

Marko Marin was a cheap gamble in case we hadn't won the Champions League and gotten the likes of Eden Hazard and Oscar. His last international match was in nearly two years prior to the transfer and he had since been injured quite a lot so it was obvious not many people rated him at the time. Someone at the Chelsea board saw room for improvement there and thought it would be good to see whether he can stay injury free and reach his once world class potential. Turns out he couldn't but who cares, we can sell him with 5mil easily with the reputation he has because surely there's someone willing to take the same risk we did to see if he can still become the player he was once touted to become. It's no shame to not get in the team when there's players like Hazard and Mata playing ahead of you in the same position, there aren't many players in the whole world right now who would get ahead of those guys in the pecking order.

Also, I liked Kalou but I still think it was the right move to let him go. He was on nearly £100k a week ffs, is that the kind of money the club should be paying for a player who 'could have started 10-15 games'? Marin is hardly on any more than £40k which is more reasonable for a squad player than Kalou's wages. Sure even that seems like much in hindsight considering how little Marin played in the end but like I said it was a gamble that didn't pay off, shit happens.

Now let's take Sturridge, he had only six months left on his contract and wanted to leave for Liverpool where he was certain to play more games in his favoured striker position so what could the club have done to stop him from going? If he hadn't gone for £12m in January, he would be going for free next month.

And I seriously doubt we would lose De Bruyne to Leverkusen in Schürrle's potential transfer to Chelsea. If we lose KdB, it will be for Dortmund because they really seem to want this guy and are willing to give him a big role in the team after Götze goes. Like I've said countless of times, under no circumstances should the club even consider selling De Bruyne but Schürrle's transfer hardly has anything to do with that discussion when it's been clear for a while now that he won't be going to Leverkusen, at least permanently. And it's not like Schürrle coming in would be the one to drive KdB away from the club knowing he will never get in the team because they're completely different type of players and everyone knows we need more depth and quality on the wings and Schürrle also offers a decent third choice for CF as well.

agreed about marin but could not disagree more about sturridge. he wanted to leave because he was not given a chance. he was on the bench for 14 straight matches watching torres play crap and he knew he could have and would have played better if he was trusted. if anything we drove sturridge away.

anyways my point was, people here hate sturridge because he was "selfish and arrogan" (in their own words). schurlle is no better. he is known for his selfishness. plus there are much better options out their. real madrid seem to be off-loading di maria(another "selfish" player), we could go for reus. but 20 mil for this guy is OVER THE TOP. in my opinion even schurlle is no more than a gamble and that too a 20million gamble. simply not worth it.

agreed about marin but could not disagree more about sturridge. he wanted to leave because he was not given a chance. he was on the bench for 14 straight matches watching torres play crap and he knew he could have and would have played better if he was trusted. if anything we drove sturridge away.

anyways my point was, people here hate sturridge because he was "selfish and arrogan" (in their own words). schurlle is no better. he is known for his selfishness. plus there are much better options out their. real madrid seem to be off-loading di maria(another "selfish" player), we could go for reus. but 20 mil for this guy is OVER THE TOP. in my opinion even schurlle is no more than a gamble and that too a 20million gamble. simply not worth it.

One question, have you ever seen Andre Schürrle play? This is a player who will give everything he's got for the team both in defence and attack, his work rate is immense. Can you say the same about Sturridge? Sure, both are indeed quite selfish and talented players but that's where the comparisons end. Their decision making will improve in time and if we're to assume both do become less selfish when they mature, I for one would still take Schürrle ahead of Sturridge any day for his work rate alone because he still benefits the team even when he's not at his best attacking-wise.

Like I said in my previous post, there are other options too and they could be pursued if Leverkusen won't sell for €15-20m but I trust whoever the board and management want to buy. In the last couple of years aside from Torres and and maybe Marin (whose signing was still justfied in my opinion like I said in my previous post) there haven't been many flop signings, have there? This is a player who the scouting team have been looking at since his days at FSV Mainz so surely they know what they're investing their money in.

One question, have you ever seen Andre Schürrle play? This is a player who will give everything he's got for the team both in defence and attack, his work rate is immense. Can you say the same about Sturridge? Sure, both are indeed quite selfish and talented players but that's where the comparisons end. Their decision making will improve in time and if we're to assume both do become less selfish when they mature, I for one would still take Schürrle ahead of Sturridge any day for his work rate alone because he still benefits the team even when he's not at his best attacking-wise.

Like I said in my previous post, there are other options too and they could be pursued if Leverkusen won't sell for €15-20m but I trust whoever the board and management want to buy. In the last couple of years aside from Torres and and maybe Marin (whose signing was still justfied in my opinion like I said in my previous post) there haven't been many flop signings, have there? This is a player who the scouting team have been looking at since his days at FSV Mainz so surely they know what they're investing their money in.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. I like the guy from what I've seen of him and he does have a pretty good engine which is something we definitely value at this club nowadays, but I also trust our scouting department. This isn't an impulse buy for the latest flavour of the month, this is someone we've studied over many years and still want to get in. The same was true of Lukaku, de Bruyne, Courtois, Azpi and a few others who are on the cusp of breaking through.

Let's be honest, when it comes to players aged around 19-23 we've got a pretty decent recent record. I'm absolutely prepared to give the board and this kid a chance.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. I like the guy from what I've seen of him and he does have a pretty good engine which is something we definitely value at this club nowadays, but I also trust our scouting department. This isn't an impulse buy for the latest flavour of the month, this is someone we've studied over many years and still want to get in. The same was true of Lukaku, de Bruyne, Courtois, Azpi and a few others who are on the cusp of breaking through.

Let's be honest, when it comes to players aged around 19-23 we've got a pretty decent recent record. I'm absolutely prepared to give the board and this kid a chance.

Yep, him AND KDB both. Depth and versatility is key here for next season.

the article is exaggerating things. if you read it, you would think schürrle plays in the 3rd division. he plays for the german national team, he has strenght and weak points. he has a good shot (no matter what the article is saying), he is fast, dynamic etc. also, he wouldnt compete with oscar- they are completely different sort of players. he wuold give us more options looking at our thin bench. we shouldnt pay more than 20 million EUROS...maybe even less. he is good, not world-class but he has potential. but nowhere near he is that bad, like the article wants us to tell.

though I agree with you, Di Maria would be bettter. Reus isnt available.

This transfer WILL happen. schürrle already has signed with us, bayer wont hold a player, who isnt in Leverkusen with his head. they are just playing it hard, to get more money or want time to find a replacement. he will be here, otherwise I would be really surprised.

schurlle's work rate is the only thing he has got on sturridge and probably a bit of pace too. except for that sturridge is a much better player(finishing, shooting, dribbling, positional play). as for the work rate argument, you have to give danny the benefit of doubt because he is a striker not a winger. similarly a striker being selfish can be forgiven but not a winger.

anyways my reluctancy for buying schurlle is because we need some1 to directly take the pressure off mazacar. schurlle seems to be some1 who would need time to be drafted into the team, would need a season or 2 to get find his feet in PL. not what we need right now.

Sturridge wanted to play up front as the striker only. But schurrle is more versatile, he can play across the front three and in the striker position too. Schurrle is defensively better than sturridge too and will gladly accept to play out wide or up front or behind striker.

Don't underestimate the fact that schurrle is a German international regular while sturridge is part time for england.