THE OVERHAUL!

Yea, but I think most of us would agree that it's time we play Attacking Football. (Not AVB attacking, attacking like I mentioned in my post before). Pretty sure, we'd all like to see that. Man Citeh is a good example of what we should be aiming to play like. Fluid football.

And for the record, my favourite style is winning football!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Essien, Malouda and Paulo? Great servents of the club but glad they're being shifted on. If all this is really happening than it is Magnificent. We seem to be truly overhauling the team, not just making a couple of changes here and there. This will also mean signings, Get In!

If SS is correct, its likely to mean at least a RB, CM and 2 attacking players we'll buy. Also think it will be quality over quantity.

If SS is correct, its likely to mean at least a RB, CM and 2 attacking players we'll buy. Also think it will be quality over quantity.

The players you mentioned is all we need really. I just hope the 2 attackers are wingers and not 1 winger and 1 Striker.

Gutted about Essien - Was a truly great player before the knee injuries took their toll. 'The Bison' will be missed.

Yea he will be, but it's obviously best to let him go. What a beast in midfield he was. Truly a Bison. Integral to us before the injuries.

The players you mentioned is all we need really. I just hope the 2 attackers are wingers and not 1 winger and 1 striker.

Thats why i can see hulk over others, primarily a winger but can operate as a striker in case of injuries.

Wouldn't want to rely on sturridge and lukaku if torres gets crocked.

I think he deserves a chance in the Preseason and the Mickey Mouse Cup.

definitely

I hope we go for two or three worldclass type players in the window and promote a few youngsters as well, rather than making 5-6 KDB like signings. Since defence is our strong point Todd Kane got be our alternative at RB and we won't have to spend as much.

hey do evryone here think kdb is going on loan? or studge is leaving? or marin?

buy 2 new wingers would give us 5! that OD, and drama waiting to happen as they complain for game time. if we buy hazard then that in my opinion is enough. what we'd need is a B2B mid who can do both things well.

I think it' best if we have a mixture of both. Keep our defence the way it is. Don't play with a high line as we saw the disastrous results under AVB. So solid defence but, like someone mentioned earlier, let our attackers go wild. Give them full freedom with little defensive duties (for most games). We'd get the best of both worlds. Although to do this we need great CM's who can defend well but also transition the play quickly. This is how we'll play good attacking football while not compromising our defence. We'll never be just like Barcelona. I see us becoming more like Bayern Munich with better defence. Playing attractive football would be welcomed.

Don't see anything wrong with playing with a high line, problem was AVB lost / destroyed player moral. And if the team don't want to play for you you have a problem.

We use to press the ball all over the pitch under JM; difference between us and Barca was that once we one position we were very direct. Believe the philosophy was that this transition period between winning and losing the ball was vital. You could exploit this gap to create chances.

Let's not forget defence starts from the front, you can't have players going "wild" and expect to keep clean sheets at the other end. It's a team game.

Don't see anything wrong with playing with a high line, problem was AVB lost / destroyed player moral. And if the team don't want to play for you you have a problem.

......You're kidding right? We clearly don't have the pace in our defence to play a High line. How does player Morale have anything to do with that? What about the 5-3 Arsenal game? They exploited our high line. Player morale would have been relatively high as our season and results were fairly good before that game. Thus your argument makes no sense and holds no validity.

......You're kidding right? We clearly don't have the pace in our defence to play a High line. How does player Morale have anything to do with that? What about the 5-3 Arsenal game? They exploited our high line. Player morale would have been relatively high as our season and results were fairly good before that game. Thus your argument makes no sense and holds no validity.

And Barca cb are lightening?

Playing a high line means closing the space between midfield and defence compressing play (like JM employed, with practically the same players) from the midfield and preventing opponents from finding space. We played this way for three years under JM.

Difference this time around was that we never had the same personal. Maka, Essien and Lampard were an awesome combination.

Ps - your example has nothing to do with team morale. My point was that changing a system requires player buy in, often achieved by player harmony / morale. Telling them your flogging them at the end I the yer then asking them to do something different isn't great man management.

And Barca cb are lightening?

Playing a high line means closing the space between midfield and defence compressing play (like JM employed, with practically the same players) from the midfield and preventing opponents from finding space. We played this way for three years under JM.

Difference this time around was that we never had the same personal. Maka, Essien and Lampard were an awesome combination.

Ps - your example has nothing to do with team morale. My point was that changing a system requires player buy in, often achieved by player harmony / morale. Telling them your flogging them at the end I the yer then asking them to do something different isn't great man management.

We won't play a high line anymore simple as that. At least not to the extent of AVB's high line.

I hope we eventually start playing our football like Manchester City.

Although they also use a 4-2-3-1, it's much better than our own.

We use 2 defensive midfielders, 1 attacking midfielder, 2 wingers, 1 striker.

They use 1 defensive midfielder partnered with 1 box-to-box midfielder, 2 playmakers where the wingers would usually be (but they play closer to the centre and then drift out wide to put a cross in when needed), and then a trequartista who swaps roles with the striker up-top, who often also acts as a trequartista.

(A trequartista is a player who switches between being a striker and attacking midfielder throughout the game. Think Aguero, Messi, Rooney.)

This creates ultimate possession with the playmakers, striker and trequartista all wanting to pass, pass, pass, while the box-to-box midfielder will often go with a surprise run and put the ball into the net when those playmakers mentioned occasionally drift wide, opening up space in the middle.

Due to their playmaking-wingers playing a lot more central, their full backs always need to bomb forward.

I think we could play something like them if we lined up in the following way -

Cech

Kane, Cahill, Terry, Cole

Mikel, Ramires

De Bruyne, Mata, Hazard

Torres

This would give us an English back 4 which would be great for communication purposes, a possession-minded midfielder in Mikel deployed as the holding midfielder, Ramires with his surging runs and versatility,

De Bruyne whose fantastic with both feet and works well in any attacking position, Mata is obvious, and then hopefully we can snatch up Hazard who is MADE for this role.

With Lampard as a sub able to play where Mikel/Ramires are or where Mata is, Marin able to cover for any of the front/mid 3, Bertrand to rotate with Cole, Ivanovic to rotate with Kane, and Lukaku and Sturridge able to cover for Torres, I'm sure this would bring us effective, possession, attacking football.

No need to go crazy with the money and buy Hulk and Lucas Moura who wouldn't even fit into a 4-2-3-1.

We'd be much better off investing in back-ups and rotation options.

:)

We won't play a high line anymore simple as that. At least not to the extent of AVB's high line.

Dibt bet against it, of you want to play nice attacking football your first have to prevent the opposition from playing. You do this by pressing higher up the pitch and as a team (aka Barcelona an Chelseas under JM).

If we defend deep like we have been it means our midfield drops deeper or the gap between them and our defence gets exploited. And we end up counter attacking or launching long balls.

Pace at the back is not essential (though it helps), what's important is that you press as a team. Hence my comments about moral; it has a negative effect on team work.