Goodbye Didier Drogba

Goodbye to a true Chelsea Legend. What a way to put the icing on an amazing 8 years at the club. One of my favorite players of all time and a true great to the game. Not only for what he has done on the field but what he does off it.

Didier from all Chelsea fans around the world, Thank you for everything you have done for the club!

DidierDrogba1_1512455a.jpg

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A tough decision, i'm sure, but the correct one. As I said in another thread, it wouldn't be fitting for a character such as Drogba's to leave the club on a whimper, he needs to go out with a bang. As they say, 'Always leave them wanting more'.

Thank you for everything, Didier.

the best thing about didier drogba - big-game player. I can't think of many others who consistently turn up in the big games and that i feel, is a hall-mark for greatness

DIDIER DROGBA - EIGHT GLORIOUS YEARS

Football is a team game but to lift trophies year after year, any club needs individuals who possess the ability to win a match at the drop of a hat. Down the years at Stamford Bridge, we have been blessed by many players who fit into that category.

The likes of Charlie Cooke and Peter Osgood were the kings of the King's Road in the 1960s and 70s, Pat Nevin and Kerry Dixon lit up Saturday afternoons as the Blues drifted between England's top two divisions. Ruud Gullit shocked the world of football when he was persuaded by Glenn Hoddle to sign for us in 1995, and the Dutchman was followed soon after by Italian playmaker Gianfranco Zola, a footballer who will always have a special place in the hearts of Chelsea supporters.

There were other heroes before that list, and plenty more since, and although football has changed over the years, what remains the same is that every supporter loves a match-winner. At the very heart of the unprecedented winning era since Roman Abramovich became owner has been an Ivorian striker with an insatiable appetite for scoring crucial goals.

Didier Drogba made his Chelsea debut in August 2004 against Manchester United, and his impact was instant, teeing up Eidur Gudjohnsen for the only goal of the game in a season which saw us crowned champions for the first time in 50 years.

Jose Mourinho, our manager at the time, had come across Drogba while in charge of Porto. Playing for Marseille, the powerful centre-forward had given Mourinho's side a difficult time when the two teams met in the Champions League, and when the Portuguese was later given the Chelsea job, signing the player became a main priority.

As the Blues romped to back-to-back league titles in 2005 and 2006, breaking all manner of records along the way, Drogba became an essential component in Mourinho's well-oiled machine. He was frequently rotated as the lone central striker with Gudjohnsen at first and then Hernan Crespo and 16 goals in both of his first two seasons was a credible return, although some were yet to be convinced.

0,,10268~10344690,00.jpg

The arrival of Andriy Shevchenko in 2006 might have led to Drogba falling down the pecking order at the club, but instead it brought out the best in him.

At 6ft 2in, he is not as tall as many spectators imagine, but he 'plays big'. His strength and presence is renowned throughout world football, and in his third season at Chelsea everything fell into place. Great control, subtle touches, tireless endeavour, aerial power, long-range shooting - the ability to score any type of goal imaginable, it was all there. It was hard to think of a better striker anywhere across the globe.

A stunning goal against Liverpool, when he chested the ball down on the edge of the penalty area and spun Jamie Carragher, before unleashing an unstoppable strike past a stranded Pepe Reina, was a sign of things to come as he went on to net 33 times, including a long-range strike on the turn at Everton he has long singled out as his best.

The final game of the 2006/07 campaign saw Drogba's love-affair with the new Wembley begin, when he scored the winner close to the end of extra-time in his leg-sapping 60th game of the season. We beat Manchester United 1-0 to lift the FA Cup. At the time, few could have predicted the impact he would go on to have every time the Blues played at the stadium.

A man for the big occasion, four FA Cup Final goals, against Man United, Everton, Portsmouth and Liverpool, have cemented his place in the record books, while his magnificent strike against Tottenham Hotspur in this season's semi-final set us on our way to a memorable 5-1 victory.

0,,10268~10874061,00.jpg

When Mourinho departed the club only a matter of weeks into the 2007/08 campaign, such was the bond and respect between the two men that many believed Drogba would be unable to carry on here without his mentor.

His professionalism rose to the fore, however, and under the stewardship of Avram Grant, the team went on to reach the Champions League Final, thanks in no small part to the Ivorian who, having faced criticism from the opposing manager, turned in a faultless display in the semi-final second leg at Stamford Bridge against Liverpool, scoring a brace in a 3-2 victory.

Unfortunately, the Final in Moscow wasn't Drogba's finest hour. He had played well for the majority of the game, hit the post, but with a penalty shoot-out in which he would have taken a kick only minutes away, he earned himself a red card on the biggest club stage of them all.

The following season wasn't smooth either with injuries and poor results but with Guus Hiddink replacing Luiz Felipe Scolari midway through, Drogba finished the campaign on a high, again scoring decisive goals in the FA Cup semi-final and Final, against Arsenal and Everton respectively. The Gunners were growing to dread the sight of him.

The 2009/10 season, under Carlo Ancelotti, saw the Blues make history by winning the Premier League and FA Cup Double for the first time, and Drogba scored 37 goals in all competitions, the joint second highest seasonal total in the club's history.

He also claimed the Premier League Golden Boot, as he had done in 2007, and the Chelsea Player of the Year award, when he invited all of his team-mates up on stage to collect the trophy as a way of thanking them for the service provided over the course of the season.

0,,10268~10874095,00.jpg

Yet again the Blues ended the season at Wembley, and yet again Drogba was the hero, scoring a wonderful free-kick as we beat Portsmouth 1-0.

Strikers come in all shapes and sizes; from players who rely on their predatory instincts, to the target men who hold the ball up and bring team-mates into the game. The beauty of Drogba during his eight years at Chelsea was he ticked all the boxes.

On arrival at Stamford Bridge he looked a decent player, although aspects of his play divided opinion, and one of his major achievements in his first two years was to warm the crowd towards him. It says a lot about the player he's become that every manager he's worked under has come to set the side up to play to his strengths.

His final season at one stage looked like being the least illustrious of all, but true to character, he ensured it was an ending befitting of the story as a whole.

It was Drogba to the fore when Valencia were overcome to ensure we made it out of the Champions League group stage when that was precarious. It was Drogba with a diving header who began the remarkable second-leg fightback against Napoli. It was Drogba who scored the home goal against Barcelona to give us a foothold in the tie, it was Drogba who scored the goal that ultimately proved the winner in the FA Cup Final against Liverpool, and his contribution to the Champions League Final in Munich is too fresh in the memory to need description here.

Bentley, Greaves, Tambling, Dixon, Hasselbaink. In truth, we've been almost spoilt when it comes to quality, iconic, goal-scoring strikers.

Peter Osgood is widely, and quite rightly, regarded as the king of Stamford Bridge. However, if there's room on his throne for one more, nobody would begrudge Drogba a seat.

The greatest foreigner to play in England. Forget Bergkamp, Henry, Cantona, etc. This is a titan of a man who's sheer force of will carried Chelsea Football Club. He will be missed. 157 goals and 71 assists for 24 million pounds, what a brilliant signing he was.

Even the greatest stories come to an end. My contract is finished and I am now prepared to leave the Blues. It is with great sadness but also with much gratitude that I announce you my departure from Chelsea.

I played my last game for the club in Munich and I am delighted to have finally been able to lift the Champions League trophy after an incredible final. I am sad, even if it is part of the life of a footballer. We have to accept it. Above all, I will remember all the great seasons I have had here, and all the emotions that will remain forever etched in my memory.

Thanks again to all the fans for their tremendous support. I wish the best success to this club where I may come back in the future, but in a different role.

"Blue is the color!""

Didier

http://www.didierdro...sp?info_id=6105

One hell of a player and a true legend of the sport . The easist , no-brainer of a move for the club is in a few years down the line , Didier is welcomed back to London at the very , very least as a club ambassador . A remarkable human being and a credit to our club , his country and continent .

Awk , no denying it . He'll be missed . :cry:

Thanks for everything Dider! A true Legend! I will be down the club shop tomorrow getting the new kit with Drogba 11 Legend on the back! He will be missed but this is the right time for him to leave.

• Debut: v Manchester United, August 15, 2004
  • First goal: v Crystal Palace, August 24, 2004
  • Appearances: 342
  • Goals: 157
  • Honours: Premier League: 2004-05, 2005-06, 2009-10; FA Cup: 2006-07, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2011-12; League Cup: 2004-05, 2006-07 Champions League: 2011-12
  • Premier League top goalscorer: 2007, 2010
  • Goal in Cup Finals : 9 (9 games)

Thankyou for everything Didier. When you arrived I never thought you would play such a massive role in making us one of the greatest clubs in world football. You never stopped giving everything for the club, getting kicked and hit everywhere on your body for our success. Chelsea won't be the same without you and after seeing you tearing apart teams for the last 8 years it will be hard to imagine life at Stamford Bridge without you. You are a true legend and will never be forgotten. Thankyou, Mr Didier Drogba.