Marouane Fellaini

Atholy

Hi just joined the topic. Yep I agree we need this guy. We lack somebody in the CM Position who can aerially damage the opponent and he can even play as CF! I am pretty sure he can as he makes a gr8 target man! We also need a CM who can rip out that dangerous long shot something we had a lot of a few years ago (e.g. Lampard, Ballack, Essien). So yea I would like it if he comes. I don't think we should pay anymore than 20mil for him if u ask me. Nothing more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly there are some pro's and con's about the figure of Fellaini.

The biggest question of them all would be... is he a AM, a ST or a DM??

Must say IMO he as always been at his best for the team in the CDM role. He's an absolute beast to cope with... winning almost every header and 50/50 in midfield + setting up a lot of counters after successful tackles! And the contra side... you might say he slows down the game by his footless attitude.

Fellaini himself also stated that his favorit position is the DM! But it's remarkable to notice the different positions Moyes has put him on the last seasons... and his great performance as an Attacking midfielder recently!

His impact on the EPL these days is quite remarkable => was voted EPL player of he month November.

He scored 8 goals in only 13 games this seasons... and to be fair... the goals were not against reading, wigan and QPR.

Gamewinners against Man United & Aston Villa, equalizers against Arsenal & Man City & Fulham...

Everton is only 3 points behind us this season and Fellaini have played a great role in this performance!

With the bad news we got today about Romeu... I think maybe the debate to attract Fellaini to the bridge this winter can be reopened.

Let's say we will all follow him from up close in our away game against Everton on December 30th!!

Fellaini is a good defender on the man but he's very restricted as a defender overally: can't come out, intercept, retreat back..

I know a lot of your stuff is based on stats, but I'd be intrigued to know which games you're talking about in particular where you've seen Fellaini exhibit poor defensive skills. Positionally I've never seen a problem with his defensive game. Yes he can be over-aggressive at times but I tend to like that in a player. You point to the number of fouls he makes but a DM is supposed to break up the rhythm of the opposition - you became a fan in 2006 apparently so you would have seen Makelele who was a master at this. I'm not putting Fellaini in that class but players in that position will give away more fouls than almost any other player.

He's not particulary better defensively than Mikel, overally. I compared Fellaini's defensive figures as CM last season (29 games) and Mikel's ones this season (14 games), I won't put the full table here yet because I plan to write some stuff on a possible move to Chelsea (for the website).

Fellaini has better tackling rates (85% for 78% Mikel, that's the very best in PL), wins more headers. But otherwise he plays less passes, as much forward ones than Mikel, with 11 points less in terms of success. Both are equally fouled. Fellaini commits more fouls, loses the ball more often, intercepts less often...

That's just for the figures used to illustrate my point.

From what I saw from Fellaini as CM, I wouldn't want him over Mikel for defensive (except headers) or attacking purposes

About the goals scored, that's something he kind of sorted since his first season. Because the 3 seasons in between he was one of the few players who could boast being worse in front of goal than David Silva and Luka Modric.

I don't rate his shooting technique, powerful shot but not any particular asset.

7sur7 says that the fee could climb to 50m. Ils sont fous ces belges une fois!

I think the fact that Fellaini is diverse and is good to great in many of the positions he is capable of playing in make him an ideal target for a team that need midfielders but do not have a long term solution at manager.

Fellaini is great in the air and pretty much as influential as Essien was in a box to box role. If the fee isn't ridiculous we would be dumb not to acquire him in January given our injuries and need for steel in the midfield

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Funkyflashman" data-cid="561960" data-time="1355463715"><p>

I found this absolutely fascinating<br />

<br />

<a href='http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2012/12/14/3762770/marouane-fellaini-tactical-analysis-chelsea'>http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2012/12/14/3762770/marouane-fellaini-tactical-analysis-chelsea</a></p></blockquote>

Very interesting take on things. I must admit I'm a big fan of versatile players and we've been crying out for a plan b and even c in our play.

If we do buy Fellaini then it's a massive shift, in terms of style, from what the club have reportedly been aspiring too. But it's just like them to have a plan and then change their mind so it wouldn't surprise me.

Don't get me wrong Fellaini is a good player but how does he fit in? I just can't see it.

great article indeed.

The analysis on CHelsea is spot on; just not sure about whether Fellaini can actually provide the goods.

I've seen too many attempts to play all the "maestros" at the same time... they all ultimately fail. The ones who suffer the most are the defenders, who get exposed, and the managers who are under pressure to play the maestros.

great article indeed.

The analysis on CHelsea is spot on; just not sure about whether Fellaini can actually provide the goods.

I've seen too many attempts to play all the "maestros" at the same time... they all ultimately fail. The ones who suffer the most are the defenders, who get exposed, and the managers who are under pressure to play the maestros.

The use of Fellaini as a SS/DM hybrid is extremely interesting though, I wonder how it would actually work.

The thing about Fellaini is that he's fascinatingly versatile, for me at least. Remember when he started the FA Cup final against us at SS? He was carrying an injury, but battered our defense all game. And I personally think he's a good defender as well.

He just seems to do everything asked of him extremely well, I wouldn't be surprised if he could play CB, LB/RB and GK as well. :P

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You