Spike

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I think his conman daddy will still make a 2024 run, if he avoids prison (NY AG James is going to try and lower the boom on him, plus there will be Federal charges unless Rump resigns and has Pence blanket pardon him in terms if the Feds, or maybe Trump will try and self-pardon, which is probably not Constitutional.)

I read somewhere there are over 2000 lawsuits levelled at Trump -several that could result in jail time once he's out of office, no wonder he's clinging on with his tiny hands....

Here is the big picture in yank politics as I see it

Anyone wanting closure and peace (to a point) is going to be sorely disappointed

Unless the Democrats win both the two GA US senate run-offs, the US Senate remains in Republican hands.

McConnell (the Rethug majority leader in the Senate) will try and strangle the Biden presidency in the crib

he will block most all of import, including all federal judicial nominations and most all of Biden's cabinet picks

zero big legislation and laws will be passed, so Biden will have to use Executive Orders to get anything down, and the Rethugs will challenge most in court, in a now RW-stacked federal judiciary and SCOTUS

the Democrats almost lost the US House as well, after assuming they would make further gains

this is already leading to massive infighting, as the centrist neoliberals are trying to blame it all on the so-called left-wing progressives (who would be mild centre-left in almost every other advanced Wester democratic nation-state)

IF the centrist power structures succeed in smashing the left, the left-leaning voters will not turn out for the Democratic party in 2022, and then (as historically a 1st term POTUS party is smashed in its first mid-term elections, see 2010 and Obama) the Dems could not only fail to take back the Senate (the map again favours them) but could lose the House as well.

If the Rethugs control both the House and the Senate post 2022, it would not surprise if they try and impeach Biden (it will will fail in the Senate, as just like the Dems did with Trump's impeachment, as the Rethugs will never get the 67 votes needed to convict and remove).

Also, a perpetually enraged Trump will be on social media and telly whipping up the hatred from the 100 million plus strong MAGAt/QAnon/RW white nationalist crowd, and getting himself positioned for a 2024 rematch (provided he is not in prison)

It is going to be a 4 year shitshow (barring a great 2022 midterms for the Dems, and even that will not stop Trump and Co from further splitting and atomising the American zeitgeist), and only a Dem POTUS, House, and Senate sweep in 2024 can finally bring some stability.

2 hours ago, Fernando said:

I prefer Jared Kushner, who has done phenomenal work in the middle east with peace for Israel and the Arab countries. 

Wish he would run for president then junior. 

Kushner is a grifting, corrupt lightweight, who did incalculable damage with his bollocksing up of the COVID-19 response

the MAGAt base hates him overall anyway

as for Middle East peace, watch how the moving of the US embassy to the disputed-control city of Jerusalem works out in the long run

the 'peace treaties' are a sham, it is just Israel and the trillionaire uber-fundy-Sunni (you know, the ones who are responsible for 80-90% of Islamic terrorism globally) backing Saudis and their little cousins ganging up to try and crush the Shia Iranians

31 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Kushner is a grifting, corrupt lightweight, who did incalculable damage with his bollocksing up of the COVID-19 response

the MAGAt base hates him overall anyway

as for Middle East peace, watch how the moving of the US embassy to the disputed-control city of Jerusalem works out in the long run

the 'peace treaties' are a sham, it is just Israel and the trillionaire uber-fundy-Sunni (you know, the ones who are responsible for 80-90% of Islamic terrorism globally) backing Saudis and their little cousins ganging up to try and crush the Shia Iranians

Your bar is a lot higher than mine atm. :) A guy does not go on TV and yells "rigged!" over and over again and he gets a point from me.

Think you are spot on on the assessment above. Though Trump may not be healthy enough to run in 4 years. Yes, he's "younger" than Biden, but Biden is the one who can hop on a bicycle.

Also think Trump not being a president will def lose much of his free airtime esp on the opposition side.... it does add up. * one of the reasons it is so difficult to defeat the incumbent president.

Covid may still make things weird for the GOP as many of their predictions fall flat; people tend to get really pissed when things happen to them, not before.

Dems should get a lot of blame too. Their policies can be seen a bit touchy feely, too PC and that is well exploited by the right.

It's like only one party is playing hardball... I have to confess that I can't stand listening to the democratic leaders in congress. 

1 hour ago, robsblubot said:

Your bar is a lot higher than mine atm. :) A guy does not go on TV and yells "rigged!" over and over again and he gets a point from me.

Think you are spot on on the assessment above. Though Trump may not be healthy enough to run in 4 years. Yes, he's "younger" than Biden, but Biden is the one who can hop on a bicycle.

Also think Trump not being a candidate will def lose much of his free airtime esp on the opposition side.... it does add up. * one of the reasons it is so difficult to defeat the incumbent president.

Covid may still make things weird for the GOP as many of their predictions fall flat; people tend to get really pissed when things happen to them, not before.

Dems should get a lot of blame too. Their policies can be seen a bit touchy feely, too PC and that is well exploited nay the right.

It's like only one party is playing hardball... I have to confess that I can't stand listening to the democratic leaders in congress. 

I detest the centre to centre-right Dem neoliberals, they bear a huge part of the blame on much of the shit that has occurred since the 1990's

the nation is so artificially spun to the right on a political structural basis

the central axis of the US would be FAR right in most any other advanced western nation

the right half (or more) of the Democratic party would be centre-right in any other western democratic nation, and the average Republican would considered ultra radical fascist Rwers

how do you fix that? I have no clear answer  (at least none that can be realistically done as of now)

The US Constitution may well turn out to a long term suicide pact, as institutions like the electoral college and the Senate itself, (plus things like illegal gerrymandering and the capture of the federal judiciary (as they are lifetime appointments) by the right wing) have been gamed out by the Rethugs to set up minority systemic control (at least partially) for decades to come, and may cause the rupturing of the union itself within the next 20 years or so.

3 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I detest the centre to centre-right Dem neoliberals, they bear a huge part of the blame on much of the shit that has occurred since the 1990's

the nation is so artificially spun to the right on a political structural basis

the central axis of the US would be FAR right in most any other advanced western nation

the right half (or more) of the Democratic party would be centre-right in any other western democratic nation, and the average Republican would considered ultra radical fascist Rwers

how do you fix that? I have no clear answer  (at least none that can be realistically done as of now)

The US Constitution may well turn out to a long term suicide pact, as institutions like the electoral college and the Senate itself, (plus things like illegal gerrymandering and the capture of the federal judiciary (as they are lifetime appointments) by the right wing) having been gamed out by the Rethugs to set up minority systemic control (at least partially) for decades to come, and may cause the rupturing of the union itself within the next 20 years or so.

The American political spectrum is somewhat to the right of the political spectrum of Germany (except for the AFD party of Germany).
It's almost the same as in France, but in France the right wing are permanent (we hope) opposition and in France there is also a Leninist Moscow party from the old times with some voters.
With respect to UK America is on the whole to the left.

16 minutes ago, Vesper said:

federal judiciary (as they are lifetime appointments)

ain't that the most ridiculous thing ever? political appointees with lifetime terms. What could go wrong?

And way too religions for a developed nation, which might explain part of the reason for the country to lean right, which I agree is quite evident.

I'm a SW engineer in IT, more specifically internet infra/networking, but I understand enough of what's going on in AI to know what's finally coming (AI has made promises before). Let me rephrase that, I know what's going to vanish and that is jobs. So, I wonder what the messaging the GOP will come up with as the landscape changes and it becomes difficult to point to a bogeyman.

Both parties don't talk about it, but only the GOP lies about it: saying that immigrants are stealing American jobs lol

59 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

The American political spectrum is somewhat to the right of the political spectrum of Germany (except for the AFD party of Germany).
It's almost the same as in France, but in France the right wing are permanent (we hope) opposition and in France there is also a Leninist Moscow party from the old times with some voters.
With respect to UK America is on the whole to the left.

the majority of DEMOCRATS are AGAINST a universal government run (or overseen or mandated via not-for-profit private schemes, like they have in the Netherlands, for instance) healthcare system

the majority of Democrats are for these odious 'free trade' (never fair trade) agreements

when it comes to the truly giant issues like the war/security/surveillance state, deregulation (especially for the giant banks), and maintaining a permanent role for the for-profit elements of the healthcare system, the two parties are far more alike than they are apart.

4 minutes ago, Vesper said:

the majority of DEMOCRATS are AGAINST a universal government run (or overseen or mandated via not-for-profit private schemes, like they have in the Netherlands, for instance) healthcare system

the majority of Democrats are for these odious 'free trade' (never fair trade) agreements

when it comes to the truly giant issues like the war/security/surveillance state, deregulation (especially for the giant banks), and maintaining a permanent role for the for-profit elements of the healthcare system, the two parties are far more alike than they are apart.

If Bojo and the Tory house of lords were running America, they 'd rebel again.

9 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

If Bojo and the Tory house of lords were running America, they 'd rebel again.

I have no clue what that means

it is revisionist history of such size and duration (close to 250 years) that it cannot be quantified

the entire world would be vastly different if there had been no separation of the two nations, therefore no statements can be made such as saying 'if BoJo and the Tories ran the US then..................'

history doesn't work like that

you cannot just plug in a current timeline and then graft its current outcome in one part of the world onto another place

butterfly effect and all that

17 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I have no clue what that means

it is revisionist history of such size and duration (close to 250 years) that it cannot be quantified

the entire world would be vastly different if there had been no separation of the two nations, therefore no statements can be made such as saying 'if BoJo and the Tories ran the US then..................'

history doesn't work like that

you cannot just plug in a current timeline and then graft its current outcome in one part of the world onto another place

butterfly effect and all that

They would.

19 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

They would.

they would what?

this entire colloquy is based off a nonsensical premiss 

I already laid out why

done here

feel free to go on claiming a reaction to something that is literally impossible have happen

we might as argue about how Americans would react if bugs from the planet ZeeKoo tried to rule them

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

they would what?

this entire colloquy is based off a nonsensical premiss 

I already laid out why

done here

feel free to go on claiming a reaction to something that is literally impossible have happen

we might as argue about how Americans would react if bugs from planet ZeeKoo tried to rule them

Bugs from planet Zeekoo, looks the part.
I just know the Bojo tribe are two classes above Trump in right wing lunacy.

Just now, cosmicway said:

Bugs from planet Zeekoo, looks the part.
I just know the Bojo tribe are two classes above Trump in right wing lunacy.

they are not remotely close to the furthest right half of the Rethugs, let alone Trump and his legions of batshit insane (literally) MAGAts/QAon droids

Perhaps now we can stop questioning it, since Trump's own government came up with this:

“The November 3rd election was the most secure in American history. Right now, across the country, election officials are reviewing and double checking the entire election process prior to finalizing the result,” the statement said.

https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-donald-trump-technology-state-elections-elections-66f9361084ccbc461e3bbf42861057a5

"WASHINGTON (AP) — A coalition of federal and state officials said Thursday that they have no evidence that votes were compromised or altered in last week’s presidential election, rejecting unsubstantiated claims of widespread fraud advanced by President Donald Trump and many of his supporters.

The statement from cybersecurity experts, which trumpeted the Nov. 3 election as the most secure in American history, amounted to the most direct repudiation to date of Trump’s efforts to undermine the integrity of the contest. It echoed repeated assertions by election experts and state officials over the last week that the election unfolded smoothly without broad irregularities."

(It's also onFox News too if you only use that "venue").

Someone is getting fired in 3...2...1...