Spike

Politics is depressing. I'll never forget the labour manifesto of 1997 "education, education, education" followed immediately by abolition of free university access, which has subsequently turned into (effectively) private higher education.

What's more depressing is that the politicians and wider public are lambasting banks for thier short sighted ness. Yet this is the exact same curse which politicians now suffer from; say and do anything to insure that they remain in power during the next election, and screw the long term implications.

It's about time the political system (not parties) was scrutinized more closely, because (in the UK anyways) its simply now working.

Very true Tricky. The other thing if you look closely is the Oxbridge monopoly. Almost every politician in House of Commons, BBC presenter, Newspaper editor, 'comedian', went to Oxbridge.

Which was not coincidentally, the first TV campaign. Image has become so dominant. Style over substance. It's really just an advertising campaign.

it was also very professionally run ,,,The corruption ,bribes and foul play were a model for others and sport to follow.

Very true Tricky. The other thing if you look closely is the Oxbridge monopoly. Almost every politician in House of Commons, BBC presenter, Newspaper editor, 'comedian', went to Oxbridge.

Yup, I'm tired of elitist politicians acting in there own self interest.

Not sure where your from but in the UK our political system is based on The idea that your MP represents you in parliament, the reality is your MP represents a party not an individual constituency.

Ask yourself this, How can a national party represent people effectively? Doesn't it undermine the idea that you elect your MP based on THIER merits rather than those of a party? Hell one of my recent constituency MPs attend parliament roughly a third of the time, whilst also claiming monies for a second home (along with her MP husband). This would be fine of the lived in Scotland, but this was a London constituency.... WTF would you claim for a second home when you main residence is in London. Only possible reasons you were cheating the system.

Pffff politicians are as bad as footballers.... Only difference is footballers don't pretend to be whiter than white whilst preaching to us about national moral and ethics. Rant over... lol

Yup, I'm tired of elitist politicians acting in there own self interest.

Not sure where your from but in the UK our political system is based on The idea that your MP represents you in parliament, the reality is your MP represents a party not an individual constituency.

Ask yourself this, How can a national party represent people effectively? Doesn't it undermine the idea that you elect your MP based on THIER merits rather than those of a party? Hell one of my recent constituency MPs attend parliament roughly a third of the time, whilst also claiming monies for a second home (along with her MP husband). This would be fine of the lived in Scotland, but this was a London constituency.... WTF would you claim for a second home when you main residence is in London. Only possible reasons you were cheating the system.

Pffff politicians are as bad as footballers.... Only difference is footballers don't pretend to be whiter than white whilst preaching to us about national moral and ethics. Rant over... lol

In the UK as well mate. Studied politics at university and you realise although we dont have political lobbying to the extent of the US, the Labore and Tories represent big business and the rich. eg Camoron was in Brazil last week on a 'diplomatic' visit. Bollocks , it was to grease the path for David Bamford, (JCB multi millionaire) to open a massive factory and plant in Brazil. But why ? Probably because he has donated £5 million to the Tory party.

If voting actually changed anything it would be banned

In the UK as well mate. Studied politics at university and you realise although we dont have political lobbying to the extent of the US, the Labore and Tories represent big business and the rich. eg Camoron was in Brazil last week on a 'diplomatic' visit. Bollocks , it was to grease the path for David Bamford, (JCB multi millionaire) to open a massive factory and plant in Brazil. But why ? Probably because he has donated £5 million to the Tory party.

If voting actually changed anything it would be banned

I'm not quite as cynical as you (I think voting can matter to some degree. Many of the party's policies are similar, but they are not exactly the same.), but I think it's hard to argue with your basic point.The U.S. is obviously the worst as money can directly influence elections in a way it can't in most democracies. One the aspects I'm most interested about is how narratives are created in order for people to vote against their self-interest. This is a pretty good documentary http://www.hotcoffeethemovie.com/ definitely worth watching. Everyone remember the woman who spilled coffee on her lap and sued McDonald's? Of course... Comedians made fun of it, we all used it as example of stupid lawsuits. It wasn't, but the narrative was created mostly to allow what they call "tort reform" which means limiting the ability of people to sue companies. Anyway, worth watching if you get a chance.

BTW, an absolutely fascinating read as to how political campaign evolved...in the New Yorker. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/09/24/120924fa_fact_lepore

I highly reccoment it to anyone interested in politics. It's depressing (how people can vote against what they really want if you package it) but very interesting.

that last sentence, right there is word fot word what my business teacher (Ms. Sfeir) tells us. Her friends sometimes say they want hermain cane (when he was running) becuase of his "simple" 999 plan, only thing simple was that his rich buddies were gona get wealthier.

Senior Citizens who are part of the teap party shouting "We dont want any gov'ment!" and you look at them and like they provide your helthcare for free.

dont see it happening,,

quickrun down

-47% comments

-his VP (paul ryan)

-his lack of details for making lost revenue in lowering taxes

-7.8% umenployment rate.

-his flip-flopping.

Yer obviously you know more about it than me but Obama just looked offensively bored in the debate and Romney seems like he want's it more. Also from what i've seen i think Ryan complements him quite well with his serious yet reasonably charismatic approach.

dont see it happening,,

quickrun down

-47% comments

-his VP (paul ryan)

-his lack of details for making lost revenue in lowering taxes

-7.8% umenployment rate.

-his flip-flopping.

If elections were about reality, Republicans would never win. Romney is able to just vaguely promise some sentimental crap ("America will lead once again" etc...) without offering any specifics and he has a good chance of winning. That anyone can still believe that trickle-down economics works is beyond me but unregulated free-market capitalism is almost like a religion to many people.

If elections were about reality, Republicans would never win. Romney is able to just vaguely promise some sentimental crap ("America will lead once again" etc...) without offering any specifics and he has a good chance of winning. That anyone can still believe that trickle-down economics works is beyond me but unregulated free-market capitalism is almost like a religion to many people.

The Chinese have a different term for the con trick that they call the 'trickle down ' effect.

They call it the Horse and Sparrow effect - The horse eats bags of oats and the Sparrow picks the digested oats out of the horses shit.....

• 2 weeks later...