The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Maybe Guardiola will reach the semis if he actually stops overthinking things...

I think it would be like asking him not to be him. Core of his genius is overthinking and being like that. Same as it was with Ronaldinho, dude was just careless and a bit crazy, it's sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit. 

41 minutes ago, El P. said:

I think it would be like asking him not to be him. Core of his genius is overthinking and being like that. Same as it was with Ronaldinho, dude was just careless and a bit crazy, it's sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit. 

My guess is that Guardiola thinking too much is not the problem but rather what he thinks of as successful football is outdated. He has been insanely lucky that his philosophy matched the type of players Barca had at that time so it clicked. He tried to replicate this at Bayern and City which already had great squads and invested insane sums on top. Yet it never truly came together again and probably never will. 

15 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

My guess is that Guardiola thinking too much is not the problem but rather what he thinks of as successful football is outdated. He has been insanely lucky that his philosophy matched the type of players Barca had at that time so it clicked. He tried to replicate this at Bayern and City which already had great squads and invested insane sums on top. Yet it never truly came together again and probably never will. 

I think that's a bit harsh, that City 17/18 side were incredible. Apart from the 2 league games they did lose the only other they looked in even remote danger of losing was Palace away. There were games that year, including vs us, were they were simply taking the piss with how good they were.

8 hours ago, El P. said:

There is a difference between thinking outside the box and simply overthinking. Guardiola does both but he commits the latter far too often in the Champions League knockout stages and the results since he last won the whole thing shows it. In domestic games and the Champions League group stages, you rarely see him tinker. He will play his best possible XI and best system and he wins more often than not because of the talent at his disposal. But once he gets to the latter stages of the Champions League these days, he will start throwing out weird lineups, weird XIs - basically deviating from the things that his sides do best. Why? Why for example did he suddenly line up with a back 3 against Lyon all of a sudden? Why didn't he just play his best XI, best system and let the talent of his players do the job against Lyon, as shown by what happened after he ditched the back 3? Guardiola has spent nearly a billion at City to build arguably the best squad in football right now and yet, he still overthinks, experiments with weird lineups like he's playing Football Manager or something.

Man I enjoyed watching city get fucked out, they deserved no better the cheating cunts. They just dont have the pedigree in CL and you could see fear in pep's face last night.....he is a cheque book manager first and foremost.

12 hours ago, bluephoenix said:

Chelsea fans need to take long hard look at the last few matches. Before they go on to criticize Lampard and the youngsters we got! Thats all I have to say. Imagine any of our youngsters missing a shot like that(what Sterling missed easy sitter) this whole forum will be on flames about how that player is so unfit and needs to packed off to some other B league team and how we would have required a world class transfer for that.

Same thing for Kepa( not saying that he is still great but he is young and needs to learn) Edison was to blame for all of Lyon's goals. Not taking anything away from Lyon they played so well and am so happy City are out.

Bayern thrashed Barca 8-2 compared to that we had a much decent score line.  Especially considering a young manager and young team.

Proud of our boys and our team and our manager. KTBFFH!!!! In Lamps and our youngsters I trust!

Sorry but this is straw clutching we were totally outplayed by Bayern in both legs and the scoreline in the second leg could have been a lot more if Bayern had moved up a gear. I can't say pride is what I had after losing to Bayern and Arsenal and how anyone can make excuses for Kepa is beyond me he's a long streak of paralysed piss who's more afraid of crosses than Dracula. I can never understand the relevance of the what if posts what Sterling and Edison did for Man City has nothing to do with Chelsea.

Its also the body language of Guardiola. As soon lyon scored, there was desperation in him already and he started bitching onto players to do their job. Garcia on other hand, or other managers from previous days were calm and composed, kept their shit together till final minutes.

I guess he is very passionate for CL, but this adds unneccesary pressure and nervousness on players.

15 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Just a reminder. 

This Lyon side finished 7th in Ligue1. 

We finished 6th when we won the Champions League though

16 hours ago, Ryan Fong said:

Aouar is so freaking good.

Yes, great player! And fun to see players and a team like Lyon i usually never see, because i simply don't follow their league. Personally my favourite is their number 25, Caqueret. I really see a bright future ahead of him. 

21 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Just a reminder. 

This Lyon side finished 7th in Ligue1. 

They finished there because the team knew they aint winning ligue 1 and often just didnt turn up to win games. If the league wasnt cancelled, maybe they would climb eventualy to europa spots too.

They are however a fantastic team when they have motivation. Came to french cup finals and only lost on pens. They were realy good last year in CL. The cool thing is they lose Lacazette, Tolisso, Fekir but always find replacements and get even better.