The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

5 hours ago, Jason said:

If anything, I think Conte is too rigid and predictable with his tactics. How often does he even deviate from his back 3 system? And when was the last time we saw a team being successful in the Champions League with a back 3? His back 3 can be countered easily after awhile, as we saw it ourselves during his time here. 

If Inter don't finish in the top 2, it will be the 3rd time in 5 seasons that Conte has exited the Champions League in the group stage. 

You cannot eat dinner in 100 euros restaurant with 10 euros :ph34r:

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Liverpool should still have enough to qualify from the group, since 1 of their remaining 2 games is against Midtjylland. 

On the other hand, are Inter even going to qualify for the Europa League? Conte is so bad in Europe. 

That moment in the summer when they prioritised Vidal over Tonali for his experience :D

2020-21 UEFA Europa League, Group Stage

Tottenham Hotspur       367.png&h=100&scale=crop&w=100&location=origin
Ludogorets Razgrad     13018.png&h=100&scale=crop&w=100&location=origin    

http://www.sportnews.to/sports/2020/europa-league-tottenham-hotspur-vs-ludogorets-s1/

https://www.totalsportek.com/tottenhams/

301548c359f5d3994ed910a8fefd0b90.png12c566e857ff778d1fa09748119d4398.png

Getting their hoops kicked by Sparta Prague

Celtic
camera.png Some Queen’s Celtic woe, earlier. Photograph: Martin Divíšek/EPA

Scott Murray

NEIL DOWN

On the face of it, shipping a two-goal lead against Benfica for the second time in three weeks isn’t a great look for Pope’s O’Rangers. Especially as the Teddy Bhears would now be through to the knockout stage of Euro Vase if they’d managed to hold on to just one of them. But it wasn’t too long ago that they were getting themselves knocked out by the likes of Progres Niederkorn, so going toe-to-toe with a bona fide European giant is a sign of genuine progress. With things slowly coming together at Ibrox, perma-worried boss Steven Gerrard was able to relax his trademark frown into Light Crease, its lowest setting, for Thursday night’s post-match interview, which there’s no need to quote. The forehead speaks volumes.

It’s not such a happy camp across the city, though. The Queen’s Celtic return to Glasgow having had their hoops kicked by Sparta Prague. “I’m really disappointed with the first and second goals,” began Neil Lennon’s post-match analysis. “After half-time, for 35 minutes, we were superb. We got caught on the counter for the third goal. I didn’t think we deserved to lose 4-1.” As attempts at self-justification in the face of all reason go, it’s not quite up there with Open golf legend Maurice Flitcroft explaining away his round of 121 with “I left my 4-wood in the boot of the car” and “I thought I putted pretty well apart from the five putts on the 11th”, but it’s fairly close.

TQC are now nine games into a run in which they’ve only tasted victory twice, a jolt to the system for a fanbase accustomed to the good life. Getting knocked out of Europe in short order may prove a blessing in disguise, freeing them of commitments as they chase that record-breaking 10 titles in a row, and Lennon is desperate to look on the bright side. “I’ve been in situations like this before so there’s no reason to believe we won’t turn it around. We’ve got the minerals to turn it around.” But as they’re already 11 points behind their big rivals, there’s no room left for error. One more slip and Lennon could be swapped out for Eddie Howe, David Moyes or [Fiver adjusts glasses, squints] Gordon Strachan. And things change quickly in football: should any new man enjoy a honeymoon period and close that gap, expect Stevie’s forehead status to be upgraded to Concerned Furrow before the year’s out.

LIVE ON BIG WEBSITE

Join Scott Murray at 8pm GMT for red-hot minute-by-minute coverage of Crystal Palace 2-1 Newcastle.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“I don’t like fiction, I like reading proper history” – it’s Tony Pulis of course, in this piece on Sheffield Wednesday that includes other nuggets such as the new Owls boss going to Corsica to celebrate Napoleon’s 250th birthday. Yup.

Tony Pulis
camera.png Well, he was never going to be into Murakami was he? Photograph: Athena Pictures/Getty Images

RECOMMENDED LISTENING

It’s a special Football Weekly tribute to Diego Maradona.

FIVER LETTERS

“Oh my God/Diego, Rob Smyth, that was an absolute perfectly pitched thing of beauty (Thursday’s Fiver). Seriously and I’ve had no Tin (well, maybe 1?) Funny, poignant, more accurate than an ad for Ronseal and well, top notch. I may even pick up and start to read your book Kaiser that has been sitting on my bookshelf for two years still in the eBay state of ‘like new’. Although somehow I feel kaiser may be tame compared to the life and times of Diego Armando Maradona” –Antony T.

“To all the people writing in to comment about the phrase ‘greatest GOAT of all time’ using the word ‘redundant’, I salute you” – Tim Scanlan (and no others).

“I see Spurs won 4-0 against Ludogorets in Big Vase. If you rearrange the letters of Ludogorets, you get ‘good result’, which it was (for Spurs). It’s to be hoped they don’t draw a side in the next round called Shutstiler” – Marten Allen.

“Re: Thursday’s letters. Surely ‘Kieron Fulop’ is the latest alias for Noble Francis. Can we from now look forward to Kieron Fulop’s regular submissions helping ensure word count obligations are met? Or would look forward be too strong a description?” – Joel Flood.

Send your letters to [email protected]. And you can always tweet The Fiver via @guardian_sport. Today’s winner of our prizeless letter o’the day is … Tim Scanlan. Prizes are back next week! We have copies of The Got, Not Got Football Gift Book – Every Fan’s Catalogue of Desires, by Derek Hammond and Gary Silke.

NEWS, BITS AND BOBS

Tributes are continuing to pour in for Diego Maradona from Premier League managers. “He was the player that made me fall in love with the game,” said Chelsea’s Frank Lampard, with Ole Gunnar Solskjær calling El Diego “the best that’s ever played football”. Jürgen Klopp said: “I met him once and for a player of my level it was like meeting the Pope.”

Meanwhile, Maradona’s agent and lawyer has vowed to take action after images emerged of three funeral workers posing for photographs next to the late Argentinian footballer’s open coffin.

Tottenham will allow 2,000 fans in for the North London derby against Arsenal on 6 December, with season tickets and “other stakeholders” eligible to enter a ballot.

Ole Gunnar Solskjær feels Bruno Fernandes is having a Him-like impact at Old Trafford.

Joleon Lescott, 78, is coming out of retirement to play for fourth-tier Spanish outfit Real Murcía in their Copa del Rey game against Levante in December.

José Mourinho isn’t interested in playing mind games before his return to Stamford Bridge. “It’s another game for me. No problem at all. I am not even worried about who is going to play, because [Chelsea] only have very good players.” Ah, we see what he did there.

Frank Lampard and José Mourinho
camera.png Up your mind-games game, Frank. Photograph: Getty Images

Preston’s Darnell Fisher has been handed a three-match ban for grabbing Calum Paterson’s bits in Saturday’s 1-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday.

England will be in pot one for the Uefa 2022 World Cup qualifying draw, which will be made on 7 December. Wales are in pot two, with Scotland, Norn Iron and the Republic O’Ireland lurking in pot three.

And with a six-pointer at West Brom looming, is Chris Wilder getting a touch desperate? Judge for yourself. “We’re looking for game changers, Lys [Mousset] is in that category, We’re glad to have him back.”

STILL WANT MORE?

“The terrible, terminal journey from human to myth divided him in two: on the one side Diego; on the other Maradona.” Jorge Valdano on the life and death of his former Argentina teammate.

“Never mind the barrio boy chutzpah. Maradona’s triumph was a triumph of will, of bravery and of acute intelligence too.” Barney Ronay on El Diego: it’s good.

Crystal Palace have never won a top-flight game on a Friday, and nine other things you need to know for another big Premier League weekend.

Scotland have two big Euro 2022 qualifiers coming up this week, but manager Shelley Kerr will be watching from her sofa. Louise Taylor has more.

Oh, and if it’s your thing … you can follow Big Website on Big Social FaceSpace. And INSTACHAT, TOO!

RELIVE DIEGO’S FINEST HOUR

On 29/11/2020 at 4:02 PM, NikkiCFC said:

How cool it would be if Chelsea, Atletico and Milan win top3 leagues this season? Going very well for Milan and Atletico at the moment.

would be nice if Bayern were picked off too, and PSG

2020-21 UEFA Champions League, Group Stage

Shakhtar Donetsk       493.png&h=100&scale=crop&w=100&location=origin
Real Madrid                 86.png&h=100&scale=crop&w=100&location=origin

http://www.sportnews.to/sports/2020/champions-league-shakhtar-donetsk-vs-real-madrid-s5/

https://www.totalsportek.com/highlights/juventus-vs-lazio-live-stream/

0eeaf1a1a9e3bac5e3db1640b2256e84.pngf3f03a67e753ae88774d2930c660255d.png