The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

3 minutes ago, Vesper said:

It's a joke that the Old Firm keeps playing in the shambles of a league that is the SPL

Celtic and Gers need to bail and go into the EPL

You'd be surprised, I think the standard of some of the teams is slowly getting better. Celtic and Rangers huge clubs and the top 2 but Aberdeen always remain competitive despite losing players every season and working on buttons. Like I would rather watch an Old Firm than watch Burnley play Sheffield United or something. Two absolute dogshit teams punting it long. 

Its obviously not great throughout still but seen enough of the games to know that if these guys had a 5th of the money that teams in the bottom 10 of the PL get for TV deals, it would make an absolute massive difference. The standard in the PL, particularly below the top 4, 5 or 6, has purely been accelerated because of the amount of money in it. Teams like Southampton can spend 50-60m a window if they want. Or Wolves. Or whoever.  

Clubs like Celtic and Rangers, are historically massive clubs so having to go through CL qualifiers when they finish 1st and 2nd is embarrassing on behalf of UEFA, while countries like England, Spain, Germany, Italy get 3 or 4 minimum then have a spot for qualifiers also (or used to) because its obviously more financially beneficial for UEFA to have these clubs in and it draws more money in for the games. I think Ajax also had a similar issue despite winning their league? Like realistically I don't see how finishing 4th in the PL warrants a CL space. I know we finished 4th but regardless of anyone finishing there, other than the financial gain having these bigger games between these clubs from these leagues, it is a bit unfair, its called the Champions League for a reason. 

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

You'd be surprised, I think the standard of some of the teams is slowly getting better. Celtic and Rangers huge clubs and the top 2 but Aberdeen always remain competitive despite losing players every season and working on buttons. Like I would rather watch an Old Firm than watch Burnley play Sheffield United or something. Two absolute dogshit teams punting it long. 

Its obviously not great throughout still but seen enough of the games to know that if these guys had a 5th of the money that teams in the bottom 10 of the PL get for TV deals, it would make an absolute massive difference. The standard in the PL, particularly below the top 4, 5 or 6, has purely been accelerated because of the amount of money in it. Teams like Southampton can spend 50-60m a window if they want. Or Wolves. Or whoever.  

Clubs like Celtic and Rangers, are historically massive clubs so having to go through CL qualifiers when they finish 1st and 2nd is embarrassing on behalf of UEFA, while countries like England, Spain, Germany, Italy get 3 or 4 minimum then have a spot for qualifiers also (or used to) because its obviously more financially beneficial for UEFA to have these clubs in and it draws more money in for the games. I think Ajax also had a similar issue despite winning their league? Like realistically I don't see how finishing 4th in the PL warrants a CL space. I know we finished 4th but regardless of anyone finishing there, other than the financial gain having these bigger games between these clubs from these leagues, it is a bit unfair, its called the Champions League for a reason. 

I would trash the League Cup (at least do not make any EPL teams play in it)

and go to a 22 team EPL

with Gers and Celtic as the 2 new teams, and they get a 3 year guarantee stay in the EPL clause, after that 3 years is up, they are on their own

and I disagree with the 4th place EPL team NOT getting CL (as you suggested)

the 4th place EPL team is almost better than the 2nd and below teams in Ligue 1 (for sure, and IF PSG slide down, better than any French side, as Lyon and Monaco are just not usually that good anymore, Lyon last CL was a freak, as was the Mbappe Monaco side) Bundesliga (deffo better than the 4th teams, and often better than the 3rd place side, although Leipzig have joined Dortmund as the main threats year over year to Bayern) and absolutely better most years than the 4th place La Liga team (and IF AM crack up, often better than the 3rd place side too)

The 4th place EPL team is 95%+ of the time always better now than the champions of all the leagues I did not list, so sorry Ajax, sorry PSV, sorry Feyenoord, sorry Porto (now, not the Mou Porto), sorry Benfica, sorry Sporting, sorry Brugge, sorry Genk, sorry Anderlecht, sorry Olympiakos, sorry Red Bull Salzburg, sorry Young Boys, sorry FC Basel, sorry FC Zurich, sorry Red Star Belgrade, sorry Partizan Belgrade, sorry Sparta Prague, sorry Slavia Praha, sorry Fenerbahçe, sorry Galatasaray, sorry Beşiktaş, sorry Zenit, sorry CSKA, sorry Spartak, sorry, Lokomotiv, sorry Dynamo Kyiv, and sorry even Shakhtar Donetsk (although hats off for beating RM)

I actually like the Barcelona line up with Messi as the striker. They definitely need a Busquets upgrade, but overall their midfield and strikers on the paper look nice.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

I actually like the Barcelona line up with Messi as the striker. They definitely need a Busquets upgrade, but overall their midfield and strikers on the paper look nice.

good call as Busquets was burnt like toast for the first goal

I have been saying for well over a year now that he is washed up

he plays like shit every time I watch him

51 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Been wondering why they have never played 4231 for years. Suits Messi, suits Coutinho, suits de Jong, would of suited Suarez if he stayed and played infront of Messi as a 9 also before he left. Obviously it gives Messi the chance to play on the shoulder or more liekly, drop as a false 9. He has plenty of pace around him with Pedri and Fati as well. 

Been wondering why they have never played 4231 for years. Suits Messi, suits Coutinho, suits de Jong, would of suited Suarez if he stayed and played infront of Messi as a 9 also before he left. Obviously it gives Messi the chance to play on the shoulder or more liekly, drop as a false 9. He has plenty of pace around him with Pedri and Fati as well. 
I agree with you, but Valverde never understood that Cou is a no. 10 in a 4-2-3-1. Would have solved many problems for them

Just now, killer1257 said:

I agree with you, but Valverde never understood that Cou is a no. 10 in a 4-2-3-1. Would have solved many problems for them

I think for Barcelona yes, 100%. He did play CM for Liverpool briefly under Rodgers for a period but I don't think its his best position because in terms of building the game it isn't a strength of his. He has to be in the final third. Also the 4231 it gives them the chance to put someone with more legs in beside Busquets who is slowing down but his quality on the ball is still good. Then de Jong obviously, is a top player, tremendous at receiving the ball under pressure and dealing with it 9/10 times.