The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

7 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

I'm watching it! Craziest game I have ever seen. Some random club from Serbian village against former European champion Steaua. And they come with only 14 players because of Covid. 

TSC Backa Topola

Dušan Tadić's old club

Ralf Rangnick Q&A: ‘I’ve rarely seen a 17-year-old at Bellingham’s level’

https://theathletic.com/2070793/2020/09/18/ralf-rangnick-bundesliga-preview-leipzig-bellingham-dortmund-bayern/

Jude-Bellingham-Borussia-Dortmund-scaled-e1600425630237-1024x681.jpg

Ralf Rangnick is one of the most important innovators in German football, an early proponent of the pressing and gegenpressing game. During his eight years in leading roles at the Red Bull group, he either coached or signed countless star players, including Erling Haaland, Sadio Mane, Naby Keita and Timo Werner, and he has also inspired a network of similarly-minded coaches such as Roger Schmidt, Ralph Hasenhuttl, Thomas Tuchel, Julian Nagelsmann and Marco Rose. The 62-year-old, who recently stepped down from his position as chief director of global football at the Red Bull group, spoke to The Athletic about the impending Bundesliga season, the difference between Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund, and ways to make the league more competitive.

How impressed were you with Bayern winning the Champions League in August, especially with their pressing game?

Ralf Rangnick: They simply continued doing in Europe what they had been doing in Germany since Hansi Flick’s appointment. They have a fantastic squad — but that was the case before, too, under Niko Kovac. But in terms of team tactics, they now play at the highest level, irrespective of being in possession or without. The combination of so much quality and excellent organisation made them tough to beat and their win was totally deserved. This Champions League showed that those teams with great individuals but who do not address all different facets of the game or don’t have a clearly-defined playing style, can’t quite do it. It’s not enough anymore.

I felt that Bayern’s positional game in Lisbon was perhaps not quite as refined as it was under Pep Guardiola but that didn’t seem to be a disadvantage, necessarily: Bayern seemed better equipped for the turnover in possession as a result. They anticipated losing the ball more than during the Pep years, when those long passing combinations maybe sometimes led to a loss of focus and being too open when one ball went astray unexpectedly.

RR: Yes. That’s the difference, ultimately. Liverpool, Bayern, even Paris Saint-Germain, in spells, have that ability to switch from playing with the ball to pressuring the opponents without it instantly. You could see in the final though that Bayern’s high-pressing game was much more automated and internalised, whereas defending aggressively was not something PSG were that all that used to. Both sides could have scored but Bayern were just a little better.

Is there any chance that they won’t win a ninth straight title in the Bundesliga?

RR: If they continue playing the way they have this year, I can’t see why they wouldn’t. It’s still largely the same team, plus Leroy Sane up front, and the same coaching staff. Why should they win fewer games?

Ralf-Rangnick-scaled.jpg

But how come Bayern don’t seem to suffer any hangovers from all that winning? There’s just no complacency. Do their players have higher levels of intrinsic motivation or is it the club culture? Either way, they don’t let up.

RR: Last season, in autumn, they were vulnerable. But they have a squad packed with players who want to win all the time — Joshua Kimmich gets angry if he loses a practice game — which is why I don’t see their appetite being diminished. I don’t see their tactics changing, either. I saw Jose Mourinho saying Spurs had played a “lazy pressing” the other day. Jose is absolutely right. You either press with full conviction or you will fail in your attempt to immediately win back the ball. Bayern’s identity is to press so aggressively that most teams simply can’t deal with it and fall apart. They force them to make mistakes. Losing the ball in the final third is no big deal for them because it comes with the chance of winning it back again immediately. Add that to the other things you mention and the combination is pretty devastating for the other team.

Their coaching staff is excellent as well. Their fitness coach Holger Broich was at Leverkusen before. He’s superb. Assistant coach Danny Rohl was with us at RB for seven, eight years and with Ralph Hasenhuttl at Southampton. He’s perfectly versed in the game against the ball. Their squad planning has been brilliant, too. Alphonso Davies is probably the best left-back in the world right now. It’s a joy watching him play.

So is watching Borussia Dortmund, when they’re really on it. Can they challenge?

RR: They haven’t lost anyone apart from Achraf Hakimi and brought in some very good players once more. Jude Bellingham — we don’t really have to talk about him. He already showed in the 5-0 win against Duisburg in the DFB Pokal what he can do. They have the second-best squad, well-equipped to get close to Bayern and make life difficult for them. But in order to do that, they need to work on the things that led to them finishing behind last season and the one before.

Everyone has the same problem, however: they need to find the same level of consistency throughout the season. Leipzig had a very good first half of the season, Dortmund a very good second half — but that’s not enough against a Bayern side who will very likely continue to be nearly perfect. Dortmund can reach a similar level but to really threaten, they need to go beyond playing good football in possession to being able to defend as a team, especially in the big games, against bigger teams. They couldn’t do that and that’s why they didn’t win when it came down to it in the league and in the Champions League, and also against Werder Bremen in the cup (Dortmund were knocked out in the round of 16 with a 3-2 loss at the Weserstadion). Unless that changes, the results won’t either, even though their individual class is tremendous.

I’m fascinated by the dynamics between tactics and team mentality. Dortmund play sublime football in attack but their passive approach in defence, based on sitting back in midfield and waiting for a turnover, can sometimes veer towards a bit of apathy. They frequently don’t show up in some of the big games but also some of the smaller ones as well. Is that fair?

RR: There’s always a danger if there’s too much emphasis on playing nice football, fair-weather football. Arsenal had a similar tendency under Arsene Wenger, at least in his later years. If you let BVB play, they have fun, putting some wonderful moves together. But without that aggression, organisation and commitment to getting the ball back, it’s almost impossible to compete at the ultimate top level because you’ll eventually run into teams who’ll do both parts of the game extremely well. Without any meaningful pressure, they will find a way to play through you. I’m very interested to see how BVB will fare against Gladbach on Saturday because they do make it difficult.

What about the other top sides?

RR: Leverkusen and Leipzig have to compensate for two important players each leaving. Kai Havertz, Kevin Volland, Timo Werner, Patrik Schick… doing without them will be quite tough. It’s not a given that Leipzig will be able to repeat their strong performances in the first half of last season. A lot will have to work out for them to challenge Bayern’s dominance. Qualifying for the Champions League again must be their main aim. Everything on top of that would be an unexpected success.

Can Borussia Monchengladbach cope with playing in the Champions League? They’re quite young and not used to it.

RR: Why not? They managed to keep their team together, which is why I trust them to play just as well under Marco Rose — who I know very well from his time at RB Salzburg — as they did last season. They can go even further. The squad is very well put together. Gladbach are also a club that keep calm when setbacks occur. They got knocked out in the Europa League and the cup but there was no nervousness or tension. Everyone remained cool. Max Eberl (sporting director) and the other people in charge there don’t let the odd negative result get to them. That’s a very healthy environment in which to develop in. I think they’ll make top four again. But Leverkusen will come close, too.

And VfL Wolfsburg and Hertha BSC?

RR: I believe that both of them will be able to achieve a place between sixth and eighth. The quality of the Wolfsburg squad has not changed that much and Hertha has become stronger thanks to the arrival of Matheus Cunha.

What about the relegation battle?

RR: I find it hard to imagine that Bielefeld will stay up. I fear for Koln a little bit. They need to watch out. Schalke face another tough season. Stuttgart have a decent chance of staying up. Then, there’s Bremen…

You didn’t mention Augsburg and Mainz.

RR: If Mainz present themselves as a united team, I am confident that they will have a good season because of the quality of their players and their coach Achim Beierlorzer. Freiburg, Augsburg: they can all get sucked down but I’d expect them to amass enough points early on to be okay.

What young or largely unknown players are you most looking forward to seeing play?

RR: Bellingham. He’s an absolute top player; one of the best. I have rarely seen a 17-year-old playing at such a level. We scouted him for 18 months at RB. He’s simply extraordinary. Erling Haaland is sensational as well. Leipzig’s Amadou Haidara, Ibrahima Konate and Tyler Adams are all top level and will show that.

And finally, the most difficult question of all. What can the Bundesliga do to be more competitive at the very top? Bayern are already the wealthiest side and seem to be getting stronger, while everybody else has problems holding on to their best players…

RR: We are the only league that restricts investment with the 50+1 rule (stipulating control by a club’s members). If you want to compete with other leagues, I don’t see any other way but to make it possible to attract investment into the clubs. Money doesn’t guarantee sustained success — you still need to spend it well —but we should at least discuss ways to modify 50+1 to increase competitiveness.

In my opinion, there’s no other way to bridge these huge divides within the league. Half the league is basically happy if they don’t end up fighting against relegation. They have no realistic chance of challenging the top sides. To be honest, it’s not that different in the Premier League but they do have more sides who can attract top international talents and don’t have to sell to each other. And there should be a title race. Manchester City and Liverpool are excellent but Chelsea have invested a lot of money, and they have invested well, in really good, young players. You can see a plan there, you can see where they want to go and how they want to get there. There’s a corporate identity.

But back to the Bundesliga. If you want to stop them losing more of their best players and falling behind, you will have to address the issue of money — there’s just no two ways about it. I don’t see this debate taking place at the moment.

Alphonso Davies’ rise in Vancouver, told by those who knew him

https://theathletic.com/2072847/2020/09/17/alphonso-davies-rise-in-vancouver-told-by-those-who-knew-him/

USATSI_9913135_168392399_lowres-1024x655.jpg

Alphonso Davies wasn’t supposed to be at the Whitecaps Academy training facility that day.

This was in late 2016, and he’d just recently made his MLS debut at 15 years old, the second youngest in league history after Freddy Adu. The first team was based at the University of British Columbia, across town from academy HQ in the suburb of Burnaby. 

But Davies, with his trademark blend of enthusiasm and playfulness, remained a regular presence on the academy grounds. He still had a bunch of friends working their way up the system, and he also just loved being around the game. So Davies turning up unannounced wasn’t unusual.

“He shows up and asks if he can train with the U-18s,” recalls Carl Valentine, who was an assistant coach for Davies’ U-16 team when he first arrived at the club. “Well, the U-18s weren’t training that day.”

“What about the U-16s?” Davies fired back, as quick on his feet off the field as he was on it.

“Well, they’re not training today, either.”

“Who’s training, then?” 

“The U-14s.”

“So he goes and trains with the U-14s,” Valentine said. “Unbeknownst to us, Carl Robinson, the (first team) head coach, wasn’t happy about it. It was supposed to be his day off. From then on, we had to make sure if he showed up that he was allowed to train.” 

This wasn’t the first time that Valentine or his peers within the Whitecaps organization had noticed that there was something different about Davies. Far from it.

Of course, that’s easy to say now that he’s a big star — a UEFA Champions League winner with Bayern Munich and already one of the best left backs in the world at age 19. But they all say he was magnetic, even back then, when he was a kid in the academy trying to establish his footing in the big city.

Since the very beginning, everyone agrees that Davies has been someone who goes out of his way to introduce himself to a new classmate, who is the center of attention — whether with the ball at his feet or standing on stage, the one most enthusiastic about getting up to sing and dance in front of the whole school.

Today, everybody knows that Davies is special. But the people who were there from the beginning, when he went from relative obscurity in Edmonton, to the Whitecaps Academy, to the first team and then to Bayern in less than four years between 2015-18, swear they spotted it right away.

Frank Ciaccia, Whitecaps Academy Recruitment Officer: Alphonso’s mentor set up a game on the last night of our Edmonton combine. Alphonso was a 2000 (birth year), and the teams were made up of mostly 1997s. So he’s giving away three years, so I’m already like, “Oh wow, okay.” From the opening kickoff, it was already apparent that this kid was something special. He was all over the park. His determination was really extraordinary. By halftime, I had already texted (Whitecaps residency technical director) Craig (Dalrymple) like half a dozen times. I just said, “I’ve never seen anything like this.”

Dave Irvine, Whitecaps head of academy operations and administration: The first time I saw Alphonso play is a day I’ll always remember. I went straight from the (Edmonton) airport to watch one of his games. I get to the complex, and there are six or seven fields with a lot of action going on. None of them are numbered. I wasn’t exactly sure who I was looking for. Then way at the back on a random field, I see this kid get the ball, dribble through the whole team and then a big goal celebration with all his guys. As I kept watching, the same kid kept doing all of these amazing things. I start walking that way, and sure enough, it was him.

Rich Fagan, Whitecaps U-16 coach when Davies was trialing for the club, later his U-18 coach: He immediately caught my eye. He just moved differently. There’s two teams of 11, and one guy who’s moving differently than everyone else. The top talents, you go to a game or a training session, and they’re going to catch your eye. But if I’m honest, with Alphonso, you caught it immediately. You barely even had to look. 

Ciaccia: Late in the game, the ball came to him and he delivered a chop pass, hitting it across the field to the right winger, with just the right amount of weight on it. It was just extraordinary. I couldn’t believe a 14-year-old was doing that. That vision to play in his teammates: you see that in professional players, not 14-year-olds. I texted Craig throughout the match and called him as soon as I left on my way to my hotel in Edmonton. I just said, “This boy is special. I’ve never seen anything like this before. We absolutely need to get him into the academy.” I might have even told him to get the pro contract ready. 

Theo Bair, Whitecaps Academy teammate: Our first-ever intersquad in the academy, the first half was really scrappy. It wasn’t the best half. Everybody was kind of playing within themselves. Come halftime, the coaches tell us to be ourselves. And within the first I’d say 10 minutes of the second half, Alphonso scored a hat trick. That night, when I called my dad, I told him, “Pops, he’s special. Very special.” My dad was like, “Ah, you can’t tell that from one game.” “No, there’s something different about him.”

Ciaccia: He had this presence about him that, as a recruiter, you don’t come across often. You hear, “It’s my dream to be a pro footballer.” Every young footballer has that dream. In Alphonso’s case, I didn’t see a boy with a dream; I saw a boy with a plan. I saw determination and assuredness. It wasn’t cocky; it wasn’t arrogant. He was just a boy who was going to make it. There was something about his presence that exuded that. I remember talking to Craig about that: “There’s something else going on with this boy.”

Denise Davis, former vice principal at Burnaby Central: When I first met Alphonso, he came to register for school with Dave at the beginning of his grade 10 year, when he was 15-years-old. He shook my hand, with a firm handshake and a big smile on his face, and immediately, he shared his dream with me: ‘Mrs. Davis, I want to play professional soccer.’ He turned his dream into reality.

Fagan: People talk about humility and manners, that was the main thing. Please and thank you. “How can I help?” “Those cones look like they need to be picked up” — all of those intangible things you might not even think about, he was unbelievable that way.

Valentine: As a coach, when you see talent, you always want to say, “Oh yeah, I knew he was going to the top.” And we probably say that about a number of players. But in our first six games, he’d assisted or scored on every goal that we scored. We had a conversation as coaches, and basically what it was was that we just needed to stay out of his way. Obviously you can guide this kid, but he’s got the natural talent you can’t touch.

Fagan: I remember one particular game, thinking about what tactics were best going to help the team, but to be honest, at that particular point in time, there was really no instruction to give him. Because if he wants to, he’ll take over the game. When he doesn’t have the ball, he can press and win it, and off he goes. I didn’t give him a lot of tactics, because he could take over whenever he wanted.

Bair: The first time I met Alphonso was my first week in Vancouver officially being a part of the Whitecaps. We were all staying in Burnaby, and I don’t know how he found where my room was, but I heard a knock on my door and there’s Alphonso. He goes, “Hey man, are you part of the academy?” “Yeah.” “Cool.” And he just walks into my room, sits on my bed and starts talking to me. From then on, we were really good friends.

T-Boy Fayia, academy teammate, fellow Edmontonian: I met Alphonso on my first day of junior high school. There was a tryout for the team, and I was really shy and didn’t want to go. But then Alphonso came up to me: “What are you doing? Today is trials.” He was one of the guys at school who everybody talked about, and even from my first day I already looked up to him. For him to be the one who stopped me and reached out, it made me feel really good. “OK, I’ll try out then.” He motivated me to try, and it was the same way in Vancouver. From Day 1, he’s been there.

IMG_20200916_163413_01-1024x576.jpg

Davies with girlfriend and PSG striker Jordyn Huitema soon after they first met at school. (Photo courtesy of Denise Davis)

Bair: To be honest, when I first came to the Whitecaps, I wasn’t the most outgoing person. I’m still a shy person, but I was even more of an introvert. I think Alphonso brought out the extrovert in me a little bit. He’s a very positive person. Having somebody who is happy all the time, who’s outgoing and who wants to go out and do things and explore, that’s helped me a lot in becoming the person I am today. Otherwise, I’d probably just sit in my house, not talking to anybody. He helped me a lot.

Irvine: He is happy-go-lucky and always smiling, but he can come across as a little bit shy. I remember speaking to the vice principal at Burnaby Central Secondary, where all our guys went to school at the time, and her telling me how energetic he was, how he was always leading the school lip-syncs and dance competitions at lunchtime. All the teachers really loved him. He had that infectious, positive attitude, and he had a tremendous impact on this brand-new school that he’d never walked into before, and this was only a couple months in.

Davis: The whole school was cheering and excited the day he signed for the Whitecaps (first team). The staff would all go to games together, and it was all very exciting. We were all very proud of him. In a school of 1,600 students, what was amazing is that nobody was ever jealous of Alphonso. Everybody was his biggest fan. We’ve had a lot of other athletes, and it isn’t often that way. I think that speaks to who he is as a person.

Jon Poli, Whitecaps head of physical preparation: He thinks he’s an actor and a dancer. He loves to be the center of attention. When he first came in, all of the rookies had to do a dance or a song, and he would always do it extra, going up alongside all the new rookies. He loved it. I think his rookie year he did three or four dances for us. We’ve had a couple of guys who like to showboat, but he’s the peak in that. And he really thinks he’s a good singer and dancer, even though he’s not very good. His voice is so bad.

Valentine: He was a kid who loved life. And when you watched him training, you could tell that he was just meant for it. You wish you could bottle it up and give it to every youngster. Maybe when you go through and survive the childhood that Alphonso had — with some difficulties and challenges most of us will never understand — a lot of people come out of that scarred. He comes out of it thankful for everything that he got.

Fayia: I remember one day, we were walking from Tim Horton’s, and some kid was carrying a ball, having come off some soccer field. At this point, (Alphonso) was with the Whitecaps first team, and everyone was watching him. This kid saw him and goes, “Are you Alphonso Davies?” I say, “Of course he’s Alphonso Davies, look at him.” The kid wouldn’t believe it. “Nah, you’re not Alphonso Davies.” The two of us are just laughing. “Well if you’re Alphonso Davies, then do an ‘around the world’ (dribbling trick).” So Alphonso does an ‘around the world,’ multiple times. The kid is just amazed: “Can I get an autograph?” And Alphonso takes a picture with him, too. He was always so nice about stuff like that.

Bair: One day he got back from first-team training, and he said it was a hard session. We were at school, and everybody was racing on the track outside. And you could tell he was dead: he was walking heavy like his legs hurt. But he sees people racing and his eyes light up. Tells me, “Well now I want to go race.” Takes his bag off, changes into the running shoes he always keeps with him, goes and races and beats them all. That’s him: high energy, positive, competitive. That’s Alphonso.

Fayia: I was going to train by myself on a field that was halfway between my house and Alphonso’s house. And I see Alphonso training his little brother. I’m like, this guy just played an MLS game yesterday. And this wasn’t easy training, either, it was hard. He’s coaching his brother up: “You have to do it this way.” That guy just loves football. I thought I was going all by myself. “What is he doing here?” I joined the training, too, him coaching us. It was really cool.

Valentine: He reminded me of Wayne Rooney. When Rooney broke in at Everton around the same age, just before he went to Man United, even as a professional he would go out and play with his mates. They stopped that when they found out, but that’s who he was. That’s Alphonso. He just wanted to play with his mates. He really just loves it. … There’s no guarantees, right? You see young players with potential, but it doesn’t always work out. But you always felt that he had a really great opportunity, just because of the way he sees life, and approaches it. You always knew he had a chance to reach the top, but I don’t think any of us would’ve predicted it this fast.

Bair: Alphonso is a big sleeper. That’s one thing I forgot to say, and that might be a surprise, because he usually has so much energy. He might stay up late, but he’ll always nap. After his training sessions with the first team, he would always message me: “Are you home?” He’d come up the stairs, hang with me for a bit and fall asleep for an hour-and-a-half or so, then wake up and go, “OK, I’m going home.” We’d be talking, I’m on my couch watching TV, say something and look over and there he goes. He’s gone.

Fayia: Oh yeah, he loves to nap. Oh and also: everywhere we went, Alphonso ordered chicken wings. We went to Cactus (a regional restaurant chain in western Canada) a lot, and it was always, always chicken wings. So one day we had a chicken wing challenge: him, me and our friend Keyshawn. We ordered the hottest wings we could find in Vancouver, and even bought extra sauce. We kept adding hot stuff, just to see who could eat the most. I think I won, but Alphonso would probably say he won. And the thing is: he eats all those wings one day and scores two goals the next day, that same weekend. “Wait, didn’t we just do the hot wing challenge??”

Bair: He jumped through the levels so quickly that you could only assume that it would continue. He went from U-16, scoring and assisting every game, multiple times, to U-18, scoring and assisting multiple times. In the USL, he scored in something like his third game, and then in MLS having an unbelievable season before going to Bayern. Everybody knew what he was capable of. …  When I first met him, he honestly didn’t play much FIFA (the video game), which was odd because everyone here did. But once he got into it, he got really good really quickly, which again is testament to his learning quickly. He’s a fast learner no matter what he’s doing. Although he doesn’t FIFA anymore — he has to play PES because he’s Konami.

Fagan: I remember his first game for the first team. The academy players all sit together on a match day. We have our own section. It’s a big group of players. And every time he touched the ball, or even got close to it, the entire section erupted. I remember getting goosebumps, because I think for those kids, that’s when they knew they had a chance, because they bumped shoulders with him in the hallway. He was one of their own.

Irvine: The impact he’s had on our academy is almost immeasurable. To this day, and he hasn’t been around for a couple of years now, but the kids still talk about him daily. “Wow, can you believe what Alphonso did yesterday?” Or: “Did you see what he did against Messi??” They come into the centre watching highlights of his games, and the couple of times he’s come back into town, he comes by the training centre and the kids are just in awe.

Ciaccia: The best compliment that I can give to the boy is that he’s largely the same person. He kept his feet on the ground. He hasn’t forgotten his family situation. He hasn’t forgotten his friends. He remembers who was good to him, and he has stayed loyal. He’s never forgotten where he came from.

Davis: So the Whitecaps Academy left our school and moved to Vancouver after they built their new facility at UBC, and I retired in March of 2017. And Alphonso, on his own — because he wasn’t a student at our school anymore, and hadn’t been for a while — he showed up at our school on my very last day and presented me with his signed Whitecaps jersey, to congratulate me on my retirement. I’m getting choked up just thinking about it. 

IMG_20200916_163413_02-1024x576.jpg

Davies was a member of Burnaby Central’s culinary arts program. (Photo courtesy of Denise Davis)

Fayia: We all have a WhatsApp group, and every time he scores we send him a clip. He’ll call back, smiling and all happy. We’re still in touch. When he lifted the (Champions League) trophy on TV, we recorded it and sent it to him, and as soon as he gets on the team bus he calls us, everybody going crazy. “Bring it home!” He was so proud.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

2 games

3 goals

39yo in 11 days

557 topflight goals for club and country and counting

List of footballers with 500 or more goals
In top-level football, 29 players have scored 500 or more goals over the course of their career, according (in most cases) to research by the Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Only those who were active at the highest level football for most of their careers are considered. The ranking below takes into account goals scored in official matches played with the national teams and clubs in all divisions.

1674867cb1bd1efe05b1c8e4ac01a2c7.pngd9c1fce33b587081235397a30baf5629.png

6 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

I see a lot of new cases in Hungary but Super Cup tonight will full stadium.

What is Orban doing?

@nyikolajevics

no, not a full stadium

30%

and Orban did not do it, although he did overrule the Budapest mayor who did not want to do it, but UEFA told him (Orban) to do it as well

UEFA did this all

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

no, not a full stadium

30%

and Orban did not do it

UEFA did

Did not know Hungary have so big stadium. Forgot about new Puskas Arena.

Well, every government has to approve crowdy events in their own countries.

Weird Davies again on the bench.