The Roberto Di Matteo Thread

I think anybody can see the club needs two wingers and a more creative deep midfielder to make RDM's 4-2-3-1 formation a resounding success.

If RDM were to stay I'd still fully expect at least 5-6 to be moved on and a few new signings to be made. One of the big advantages RDM will have is that he has worked with the squad for a whole year and will therefore know which aren't good enough and need replacing.

It's easy us saying get rid of Drogba or Kalou but different managers with different methods sometimes get better results out of certain players than others. I worry a brand new manager will once again mean another stay of execution for a number of players who should have been moved on a long time previous.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, if Barca thrash us 8-0 (which could happen due to our woeful midfield), then get knocked out of the FA Cup final and don't reach the Top Four, then he certainly won't get it and the major overhaul we so needed won't happen. I fear we won't see that overhaul if Di Matteo takes over on a full time basis.

We will get an overhaul regardless of whether RDM is here or not...Roman will make sure of that.

I think anybody can see the club needs two wingers and a more creative deep midfielder to make RDM's 4-2-3-1 formation a resounding success.

If RDM were to stay I'd still fully expect at least 5-6 to be moved on and a few new signings to be made. One of the big advantages RDM will have is that he has worked with the squad for a whole year and will therefore know which aren't good enough and need replacing.

It's easy us saying get rid of Drogba or Kalou but different managers with different methods sometimes get better results out of certain players than others. I worry a brand new manager will once again mean another stay of execution for a number of players who should have been moved on a long time previous.

This is why I wanted Carlo to stay last season, and people where coming up with the nonsense idea that they wanted AVB cause he will buy "his" player.....well we learn that new managers want to "asses" the squad.

Which is why like you stated, keeping RDM will be an ok predicament.

So I hope RDM game against Barcelona goes well. Cause if we get beat badly, he won't get a whisker to next year teams....

I can't help but thinking that Chelsea may have (by accident) stumbled upon something potentially very good in RDM and I just hope no rash decision is made on the manager.

He has changed the formation of the team to get the best out of our only real creative player, and has changed the style to a more direct nature to play to the strengths of the players. I would like to play a more slick, exciting style of play but it's not possible with the players we have and the most important thing is to win, something he has realised that AVB failed to.

He hasn't been afraid to make big calls and change things based on opponent. For example deploying Ramires wide left against Napoli to double up against Maggio.

If the rumours of the team talk are true that is classic!

He just has this air of confidence and perhaps arrogance about him, but he also channels his undoubted passion in the right ways for the good of the club and shows he is tactically very clever.

When Roman decided to bring in a younger manager to freshen up the squad and ideas therein, I can't help but feel that RDM is that man if Roman still wants to go down that line.

Im not one for knee jerks and i was trying to bring some fans down into reality after the Napoli match when there were comments saying to give him the job full time, but i think we just have too now IMO.

All the years off trying to find the perfect manager and Roman making managerial appointment's hoping they will become the perfect manager for us, im just thinking is it fate?

Hiddink taking a job a week before AVB get's sacked, if Hiddink was a available he would almost surely have got the job. RDM turned down other managerial position's when he was AVB's assistant supposedly. Not to mention RDM's harsh sacking at WBA, has it all lead to this?

They say thing's happen for a reason, could RDM being long term Chelsea manager just be fate? just could it?

Could Roman have found his perfect manager in the most bixxare way possible.

I said in the summer AVB would sort us out for the future, and he could well have done it in a complete opposite way to what we all expected by bringing RDM back.

Robbie :D

I can't help but thinking that Chelsea may have (by accident) stumbled upon something potentially very good in RDM and I just hope no rash decision is made on the manager.

He has changed the formation of the team to get the best out of our only real creative player, and has changed the style to a more direct nature to play to the strengths of the players. I would like to play a more slick, exciting style of play but it's not possible with the players we have and the most important thing is to win, something he has realised that AVB failed to.

He hasn't been afraid to make big calls and change things based on opponent. For example deploying Ramires wide left against Napoli to double up against Maggio.

If the rumours of the team talk are true that is classic!

He just has this air of confidence and perhaps arrogance about him, but he also channels his undoubted passion in the right ways for the good of the club and shows he is tactically very clever.

When Roman decided to bring in a younger manager to freshen up the squad and ideas therein, I can't help but feel that RDM is that man if Roman still wants to go down that line.

What rumors?

Still not hype about him that much.

I would still take Moyes or Bielsa over him, but if we can't get them he will be ok because he will know what we need and won't need another team assessment.

As I said before the true measure of the manager will come mid way, during December time. If he where to stay here we just need to wait till that time before we see another sack RDM thread!

Still not hype about him that much.

I would still take Moyes or Bielsa over him, but if we can't get them he will be ok because he will know what we need and won't need another team assessment.

As I said before the true measure of the manager will come mid way, during December time. If he where to stay here we just need to wait till that time before we see another sack RDM thread!

Moyes needs to take on a job at somewhere like Newcastle before he can even consider a job at Chelsea/United anywhere imo.

A Case For Robbie?

Posted on 19 April 2012 by . Tags: ,

For the last few weeks I’ve been intending to publish a piece on the merits of keeping as Chelsea manager.

Doing so now might appear reactionary after the excellent result against Barcelona, but if I begin by prefacing the entire article with the notion that his body of work as manager – at least in terms of ‘just’ results – isn’t close to being top of the reasons why, it might go some way to assuaging those notions.

Undoubtedly though, he is riding the crest of a wave after a sensational past few days and now, more than ever, Chelsea fans will be firmly backing the 41 year-old Italian to become a permanent fixture in the dugout.

His record is eerily similar to that of Guus Hiddink when the Dutchman acted in the same capacity a few seasons ago, with just one defeat to his name, a strong performance in the and a spot in the FA Cup Final. Few would have a problem with Roman Abramovich handing the job to Hiddink, but when you consider the work Di Matteo has done with what is arguably a weaker squad, he certainly stacks up on this front.

Nicely juxtaposed with the charlatan , rather than attempt to assert his own style and demands upon the team from day one, Di Matteo knows the value of remaining understated, and more importantly understands the strength of the tools at his disposal. Yes, Chelsea have some players who are getting older, and perhaps they’re not quite what they once were. However, that does not, in any circumstances mean that they have nothing left to offer.

Di Matteo has brought cohesion, balance, unity and a collective direction back to the club when it was most needed. These are simple qualities easily adhered to and ones which are easily continued should he get the permanent stewardship of the club. The process of ‘overhauling’ the first team squad has been underway for two seasons now, and will continue this summer. Critics will level a lack of experience in the transfer market against Di Matteo, but at Chelsea, this is less of an issue as it might be at other clubs. It’s well known that a group of half a dozen or so men working under the title of the ‘Football Board’ drive the club’s transfer activity and whilst the manager has a certain input, he is, for most intents and purposes, a coach.

If Di Matteo has been able to achieve short-term success with this squad, it stands to reason that he is well placed to take the next step with new players to work with. His time at West Bromwich Albion also may apparently work against him, but previous accomplishments should be well down the list of criteria to be considered. A former World Cup winner failed spectacularly in 2008, whilst fared little better despite very recent and relevant success. Mourinho and Ancelotti came very well qualified and proved to be just that, but equally, the club somehow found itself in its sole European Champions League final under Avram Grant of all people. The right person will be the right person because of their leadership and coaching qualities, not what they might have won before.

Pep Guardiola at Barcelona is a perfect example of someone who was very clearly the right hire despite having almost no notable coaching experience. Whilst it would be foolish to suggest that one example speaks for everyone, Guardiola in particular leads me into my next point, one which is worth considering for the long-term future of Chelsea. Guardiola understands Barcelona. He grew up there, he played there, he has been a Culé for almost all of his adult life. Managerial longevity is growing scarcer by the season, and whilst the days of a reign like Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger or David Moyes may no longer be relevant, the former player may very much be the way of the future.

Di Matteo understands Chelsea. He is one of very few people involved in the playing side at the club who have experienced pre-Abramovich and current Chelsea. It might sound clichéd and it definitely isn’t something which is always positive, but it helps create an identity, something the club has lacked since Mourinho (and arguably still identifies most with his approach).

Managers with a connection to their club appreciate the small details; the use of the academy, the development of home-grown players as a part of the team’s core, the importance of the backroom staff. Eddie Newton’s return may have been a secondary story but he is an excellent coach who has played a big role in this season’s revival.

Mourinho’s entourage were all adept in their roles and brought something to the table, something their manager would often take on board. Christophe Lollichon aside, those who have filled the seats on the bench since 2007 have either been promoted to fill a gap or have been sycophantic yes-men with little remit but to agree with the boss.

How valuable Steve Clarke appears in his absence. How appreciated Newton has been since his return. Di Matteo didn’t have to bring his long-time assistant with him, but he appreciates the value of colleagues and appears to believe that a collaborative effort is a successful approach.

At the end of the day this is as speculative as it gets, but if we come back down to the raw facts, we’ve seen that Di Matteo has gotten exceptional results in a short period of time simply by utilising players in their best roles.

Football can be as complicated as you want to make it, but is at its most successful when simplified as much as possible. There is a lot to be said for that, and it’s something that the Italian’s predecessors have apparently forgotten. Yet at the same time, subtle tactical nuances have been evident throughout his brief spell, displaying a learned understanding of the modern game and where each opponent’s threat lies. Utilising Ramires as a left winger last night to dampen the threat of Daniel Alves is the most recent example of a seemingly small move going a long way towards success.

If Di Matteo is prepared to go forward as he has done since March, he’s arguably favourite to keep his job. He’s certainly a leading candidate.

Plus, he’d come cheap. That’s always worth a point or two in his favour…

Excellent from Juni, yet again.

Very good article and I had been thinking myself of making the point on Guardiola. Guardiola's only coaching experiene had come with Barcelona B who play in Spain's second tier. To appoint him after Frank Rijkaard who, despite a poor final season, had laid the foundations of Barcelona domination and won a Champions League to boot, was an incredible risk and show of faith.

However, Guardiola's connections with the club and it's fans helped smooth such a move into making it a successful one.

If Barcelona are willing to make such decisions on inexperienced coaches then why can't we? We are entering a vital part of the club's history, being building the second post-Abramovich side whilst keeping it successful and competing as it has done for the past 7-8 seasons.

I fully agree that somebody who has connections and affiliations with this club could well be the best person to make this transition happen.

I, for one, will certainly be happy if Roman offered long term jobs to Robbie and Eddie tomorrow.

Don't give him the job now, at the end of the season we give him the job!. Because anything could happen, i know all your opinions would change if we ended up getting knocked out of Champions League, beat in F.A. Cup Final, don't win one of our next 4 games in the PL, because everyone one of them is extremely hard.

Wish Moyes would stop getting mentioned, if our next manager is going to be a midtable miracle man Alan Curbishley is just as qualified as Moyes so why isn't he getting the same mention? :rolleyes: