Tobey Gibson
Followers 6

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

27 passes, 100% pass completion, 3 interceptions, 1 tackle, 1 block. Not sure what more people were expecting from a 19 year old on his début put in there to sit with Mikel.

Few people slagging him off already. Unbelievable.

And then they moan about lack of youth integration!

Posted Images

If (and it's a big if knowing jose) he does break into the first team, i hope the manager doesn't turn him into another mikel because he's clearly a box to box midfielder and his game and skillsets reflects just that and not a defensive or holding midfielder.

Early indications (from when Jose put him on against Sporting(?)) seem to illustrate that Jose will play him further forward.

• Like 1

Early indications (from when Jose put him on against Sporting(?)) seem to illustrate that Jose will play him further forward.

Well let's hope so. I would hate a situation where he's groomed as a matic or mikel understudy due to havi ng similar physique

• Like 2

Surprisingly agile and quickness of feet for a player his size. I don't bother watching youth footage so I did not know this, but that's a huge positive.

Good performance.

That's why many people are so huge on RLC. A big man that's that quick and agile and has such great feet and composure is a rarity. He does have the potential to be a huge, huge player for us, I really hope he makes it. By far the most exciting talent in our academy, alongside Boga and Solanke. Those three have all the talent to make it here IMO.
  • Like 1

That's why many people are so huge on RLC. A big man that's that quick and agile and has such great feet and composure is a rarity. He does have the potential to be a huge, huge player for us, I really hope he makes it. By far the most exciting talent in our academy, alongside Boga and Solanke. Those three have all the talent to make it here IMO.

I hear you, Skippy. I have the lost the ability to get excited about youth players, so I have nothing to add or say. Let's see what happens.

• Like 2

I think there are at least two other players in the development group who have the potential to make the top squad. Even that may be on the conservative side since there are other talented footballers in the junior ranks for whom it's still too early to talk in those terms. Obviously you can never speak about anything more than potential with younger players but I think that's especially true with our lads. In my opinion all of them, including Ruben, has plenty to prove.

That said, I'd love RLC to make it. I feel frustrated for him every time he's on the bench but fails to get on. When we went two up on Sunday I was saying, "Two more by half time, then get Ruben into the game." Sadly the two goals that came didn't help at all. :(

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

If (and it's a big if knowing jose) he does break into the first team, i hope the manager doesn't turn him into another mikel because he's clearly a box to box midfielder and his game and skillsets reflects just that and not a defensive or holding midfielder.

I don't see any of our midfielders being a strictly holding player. I mean most of the time Jose plays Matic and Cesc and both take turns going forward, no one is ever restricted to always stay deep. He's given them both some freedom and has left it up to them to figure out what to do in game.

Mikel has hardly played but a couple of times he did play, he was always involved in our pressing too and not told to stay deep.

Zouma was the only one who never ventured forward, but that's understandable cause Zouma isn't a midfielder.

And Jose has played RLC a bit forward in his cameos but I think that's only because it'll take RLC some time to understand how to play in the pivot because Jose has given the pivot the freedom to some extent to figure out themselves what to do on the fly. And RLC needs gametime to gain that understanding. Once he gets that game time, he'll play in the pivot for sure.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2015/04/mourinho--raising-the-level.html

‘They belong to a process. I can’t have 10 of these young players in my squad, I can have three or four which is what we did this season with Loftus-Cheek, Brown, Christensen and Ake, also Solanke a few times. I can’t have a squad of 10 men and 10 kids, I must have a squad, like we have now, of 16 or 17 and three or four kids.

‘Next season Ruben Loftus-Cheek won’t be a kid in the development programme working with the first team, he will be a first team player, absolutely ready to play and compete. We will do the same with two or three other players.' - Jose on youth process

• Jase changed the title to 12. Ruben Loftus-Cheek