Jump to content
Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

12. Ruben Loftus-Cheek


Tobey Gibson
 Share
Followers 6

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Waste of time. Not going to improve this squad or starting 11. Unless TT does some sort of miracle coaching l

If he can regain his form and stay healthy he will be immense addition to our midfield. We need a player like him.

it is a gamble given his trajectory, but what is the downside? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

27 passes, 100% pass completion, 3 interceptions, 1 tackle, 1 block. Not sure what more people were expecting from a 19 year old on his début put in there to sit with Mikel.

Few people slagging him off already. Unbelievable.

And then they moan about lack of youth integration!

Posted Images

On 10/06/2021 at 18:48, Jas said:

Wonder if Loftus-Cheek was cursing his luck at any point over the past year or so. He was one of the most recent academy players to actually break into the first team first but now finds himself on the outside looking in after suffering an injury that was no fault of his own. It must hurt in some ways for him to see Mount, James, CHO, Abraham (despite his fortunes under Tuchel) establish themselves in the first team and win the Champions League last month. He could have so easily been part of the team had it not been for the injury.

It has nothing to do with the injury. That's just the latest version of an excuse I've heard many hundreds of times. The reality is that, up to now, Ruben's career has followed the path I feared and predicted it would while he was playing youth football. He simply has never been able to make a consistently effective contribution for his teams.

I don't believe that it is a lack of ability but it just has never happened for this talented player. A part of me can't help hoping that TT will have a look at Ruben in preseason and at long last find the right formula to unlock the potential. I have to admit however that I long ago gave up believing RLC would become a Chelsea player.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ulvhedin said:

Reports suggests Tuchel will evaluate him in preseason

This would be nice but...

3 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Waste of time. Not going to improve this squad or starting 11. Unless TT does some sort of miracle coaching l

I fear this is right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vesper said:

I saw some site hype him a couple days ago as the next BALLACK!!

roflmaooooo

as if RLC is all of a sudden going to produce around 180 or so goals (goals plus assists) in a 5 year span for club and country

RLC turns 26yo in January and for his entire topflight career, all comps, for club and country has 15 goals 18 assists TOTAL ( including no goals, 2 assists for England, and the 2 assists came in games against dregs) 

1 goal, zero assists last year in over 2000 minutes played

smdh

people have lost their damn minds

The truth hurts.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

It has nothing to do with the injury. That's just the latest version of an excuse I've heard many hundreds of times. The reality is that, up to now, Ruben's career has followed the path I feared and predicted it would while he was playing youth football. He simply has never been able to make a consistently effective contribution for his teams.

I don't believe that it is a lack of ability but it just has never happened for this talented player. A part of me can't help hoping that TT will have a look at Ruben in preseason and at long last find the right formula to unlock the potential. I have to admit however that I long ago gave up believing RLC would become a Chelsea player.

I don’t disagree with the consistency bit and I was not making an excuse for him at all. Although there aren’t many samples to go off, he was playing arguably his best football and had his most consistent period during that time under Sarri. Hence, I was trying to make the point that that could have been the point where he starts to perform better more regularly but of course, the injury happened, Sarri left and we’re at where we are now. At this point, it’s maybe best he leaves and goes find a club where he can thrive.

On a side note, am starting to see a tad too many of ‘hope/maybe Tuchel can perform miracle with this player’ or something along those lines. Brings back bad memories of Conte and his second season.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

It has nothing to do with the injury. That's just the latest version of an excuse I've heard many hundreds of times. The reality is that, up to now, Ruben's career has followed the path I feared and predicted it would while he was playing youth football. He simply has never been able to make a consistently effective contribution for his teams.

Your arguments are always black and white. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder what position Tuchel would try to use him.with so many of our players at the euros I can see why he'll give him a look this pre-season but would be surprised if he's actually in our 25 come the start of the season.good player but great clubs do let good players leave.

Link to post
Share on other sites

we should never have played that stupid friendly before the Europa final in 2019, sadly RLC may never recover from this. One of the most ridiculous things this club has done in recent years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Johnnyeye said:

we should never have played that stupid friendly before the Europa final in 2019, sadly RLC may never recover from this. One of the most ridiculous things this club has done in recent years.

The club organizing the friendly was one thing but no one asked Sarri to play RLC in that game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jas said:

The club organizing the friendly was one thing but no one asked Sarri to play RLC in that game.

the reality is it could have been anyone getting that bs injury, can you imagine if it was Eden getting that injury instead? heads would have rolled in the club, in another universe we would have been royally fucked, we would lose to Arsenal in the final, no Madrid transfer for Eden, no money for us to spend on Werner, Havertz, Chilwell, Mendy, etc…

https://www.google.com/search?q=Chelsea+new+england+revolution&rlz=1CDGOYI_enPT712PT712&oq=Chelsea+new+e&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0l4j69i60.10617j0j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#sie=m;/g/11h0cj7kgp;2;/g/11b6xyz746;ln;fp;1;;

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ruben was good under Sarri but I think people rate him as the player they want him to be rather then the player he currently is. 

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Johnnyeye said:

the reality is it could have been anyone getting that bs injury, can you imagine if it was Eden getting that injury instead? heads would have rolled in the club, in another universe we would have been royally fucked, we would lose to Arsenal in the final, no Madrid transfer for Eden, no money for us to spend on Werner, Havertz, Chilwell, Mendy, etc…

https://www.google.com/search?q=Chelsea+new+england+revolution&rlz=1CDGOYI_enPT712PT712&oq=Chelsea+new+e&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0l4j69i60.10617j0j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#sie=m;/g/11h0cj7kgp;2;/g/11b6xyz746;ln;fp;1;;

Yes but RLC was known to have a dodgy back and fitness back then. So one would think Sarri would have not played him, especially given the pitch was an artificial pitch IIRC. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Clockwork said:

If he can regain his form and stay healthy he will be immense addition to our midfield. We need a player like him.

it is a gamble given his trajectory, but what is the downside? 

Sure and next we can try Ross Barkley to see if he will come to the fore and be a good player for more than 4 games a season. Its not worth the risk. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Sure and next we can try Ross Barkley to see if he will come to the fore and be a good player for more than 4 games a season. Its not worth the risk. 

RLC has shown much more than Barkley. Your position is absolutely ridiculous, no one is suggesting RLC should be guaranteed anything, it is not a waste of time if Tuchel wants to give RLC an opportunity in pre season. It’s pre season, where we have seen many more inferior players play for Chelsea. 
 

RLC was very good under Sarri, and big reason why we finished strong toward the end of the season. If he get that RLC back then it is worth the time in freaking pre season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

RLC has shown much more than Barkley. Your position is absolutely ridiculous, no one is suggesting RLC should be guaranteed anything, it is not a waste of time if Tuchel wants to give RLC an opportunity in pre season. It’s pre season, where we have seen many more inferior players play for Chelsea. 
 

RLC was very good under Sarri, and big reason why we finished strong toward the end of the season. If he get that RLC back then it is worth the time in freaking pre season.

that was RLC before his injury tho.

Both barkley and rlc are finished at the top level. if we get any serious money for either we will be very lucky.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Johnnyeye said:

we should never have played that stupid friendly before the Europa final in 2019, sadly RLC may never recover from this. One of the most ridiculous things this club has done in recent years.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jas said:

Yes but RLC was known to have a dodgy back and fitness back then. So one would think Sarri would have not played him, especially given the pitch was an artificial pitch IIRC. 

Cant wrap players in cotton wool forever though. Or turn around and say why did the manager not rest him/play him because of the pitch. 

Players are gonna have to play on shit/artificial pitches at some point. You go and play a League 1 team at their ground in the FA cup you can bet the pitch isn’t going to be amazing or good at all. Or you play certain teams away in Europe again they may have these artificial pitches. 

It was the clubs idea to go and play a stupid exhibition game albeit for a good cause, when the season wasn’t finished. I mean why did we do that? 

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

RLC has shown much more than Barkley. Your position is absolutely ridiculous, no one is suggesting RLC should be guaranteed anything, it is not a waste of time if Tuchel wants to give RLC an opportunity in pre season. It’s pre season, where we have seen many more inferior players play for Chelsea. 
 

RLC was very good under Sarri, and big reason why we finished strong toward the end of the season. If he get that RLC back then it is worth the time in freaking pre season.

Has he really? And even if so, not as if Barkleys a shining example either of a good player to compare him against considering he’s probably been in the paper for being pished more than people praising his performances since coming to the club.

The reality is RLC had a spell of games where he was better in the Europa League than the PL games more often than not, got some goals true enough and looked promising but I don’t think hes shown anything in the past 2 seasons that makes anyone think we need to have this guy in the squad.

What does he bring? Why should he be given a chance? Because he’s bigger physically? He doesn’t score or assist goals or even create chances enough to influence a game. Even then, he still rarely plays over 75 minutes in a game most weeks. He played 1974 mins across 33 games this season in the PL, Carabao Cup and FA cup. On average thats under 60 mins per game he’s completing. He played over 75 minutes in half of his games this season. 

If we want to strengthen the team/squad, he shouldn’t be in it. Neither should Barkley. They may get a chance buts its a waste of time. Sell both. Or will we just give everyone who’s done well in a Chelsea shirt for like 10 games a second chance? 

Edited by OneMoSalah
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Clockwork said:

RLC has shown much more than Barkley. Your position is absolutely ridiculous, no one is suggesting RLC should be guaranteed anything, it is not a waste of time if Tuchel wants to give RLC an opportunity in pre season. It’s pre season, where we have seen many more inferior players play for Chelsea. 
 

RLC was very good under Sarri, and big reason why we finished strong toward the end of the season. If he get that RLC back then it is worth the time in freaking pre season.

I think the point he was trying to make is both when at their best are very good, but it happens so infrequently its absoultely pointless trying to make any sort of plan that involves them in a big way.

Ruben had a run of form under Sarri after nearly the whole season being dragged to the touchline at any and every break in play to be given tactical instructions, he's a very talented guy but simply lacks the nous to make it at this level, when you see Mason Mount or even Conor Gallagher as a comparison the difference in their tactical games are astronomical.

It's the sake argument with Barkley really. If he played like he did vs the two Scouse teams before lockdown he'd be one of our star players, but he doesn't.

Edited by Tomo
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Cant wrap players in cotton wool forever though. Or turn around and say why did the manager not rest him/play him because of the pitch. 

Players are gonna have to play on shit/artificial pitches at some point. You go and play a League 1 team at their ground in the FA cup you can bet the pitch isn’t going to be amazing or good at all. Or you play certain teams away in Europe again they may have these artificial pitches.

The point isn't so much about not playing RLC on artificial pitches but more so about managing his game time, given his dodgy fitness and back condition back then. He had played lots of minutes leading up to that friendly. So god knows why Sarri felt the need to play him then when he could have given just the time to some other players instead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jas said:

The point isn't so much about not playing RLC on artificial pitches but more so about managing his game time, given his dodgy fitness and back condition back then. He had played lots of minutes leading up to that friendly. So god knows why Sarri felt the need to play him then when he could have given just the time to some other players instead. 

21 players played that game. RLC came in at HT and got injured after less than 25 mins. 

I never understood any critics for club or Sarri about this game more than 2 years ago and even less that people are still speaking about it. CHO got same injury in the game so it happens. Just bad luck... 

When we had 17 days between games arranging one friendly was perfectly logical thing to do. You may say we could do it in London or closer but guess what, some of our players went to USA on their own, on free weekend just to see NBA game so it's not a big deal anyway. And game had a good cause. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Jase changed the title to 12. Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...