Andreas Christensen

Wilson

After his second season on loan at Borussia Monchengladbach, Andreas Christensen is currently on international duty with the Danish national team, for whom he has been a first-choice center back for some time now. International duty involves plenty of media duty as well, and while talking with Danish reporters, Christensen confirmed that plans are in place for him to at least start the pre-season at Chelsea.

“I will join up with Chelsea on July 7th. I haven’t talked to Conte yet. I have talked to the sporting director and all those responsible for getting the players set up with a flat and what else belongs to them. The sports director says the plan is that I meet like all the others and go through the preseason,”

- Andreas Christensen; source: BT via Sport Witness

Basically, Christensen has confirmed what we’ve known for some time now. That is, he will start pre-season at Chelsea and look to impress Antonio Conte enough to earn a permanent first-team place for the upcoming season. With any sort of deal for Virgil van Dijk having fallen apart in recent weeks, one cannot help but think that Christensen will at least be thoroughly considered to bolster our defensive ranks.

Exciting times lie ahead, which could possibly see one academy defender replace another in John Terry.

1 hour ago, ja1 said:

Christensen has played in a back 3, no?

BMG have played with a back three but it's not something that's a staple of their system. The stats will mostly come from him playing in a back 2 is my point, which will naturally make him look more busy than our CBs. 

9 hours ago, The Skipper said:

BMG have played with a back three but it's not something that's a staple of their system. The stats will mostly come from him playing in a back 2 is my point, which will naturally make him look more busy than our CBs. 

Can see Conte tinkering with the system again abit ?

• 2 weeks later...

Came 16th in the best 50 young footballers in an article in The Telegraph. Why do I feel he's destined not to have a great career with Chelsea is it the cynic in me?. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/20/50-best-young-players-world-football/

7 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Came 16th in the best 50 young footballers in an article in The Telegraph. Why do I feel he's destined not to have a great career with Chelsea is it the cynic in me?. 

You're right to feel cynical, but he'll have the same chance as everyone else come pre-season to see whether he's up to the grade.

19 minutes ago, the wes said:

Feels like fake news, Team and Conte have both said they want him back to see what he has got. I would be shocked if they sold him, if they did it seems we have finally gotten the buy back clause message which is good at least.